Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 06:41 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times

Advertisements

Remember when you buy a used car from a private owner it's sold as is witch means you better take the car you want a mechanic to get checked out because if you don't and the motor or trans have a problem it's on you to get fixed. And most times the fix is more expensive than what you paid or the car. There is no warenty on a private sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 06:49 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,166,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
Shocked you guys find it smart to meet at someone's (yours) homes
Have sold many cars on Craiglist and never had a meet at my house. I never had any issues, I met in front of a bank in a popular high end plaza (safe area).

Always meet for final transfer and title sign-over at seller bank where buyer provides a certified/cashier check to be deposited by vendor and title transfer is notarized by bank notary.

One time I purchase a car (very good value) and we met at an older gentlemen house, but I knew it is a very nice and safe neighborhood. Transfer happened at his bank, where I provided the cashier check and he signed over the title in presence of notary.

In general I use Craiglist a lot (both purchase and sale) and never had issues, but every time I meet in public places and only do business with clean look and sound people. If something is fishy, most times the bad players give themselves up during initial conversations, so you'd know not to continue the discussion.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:59 AM

81 posts, read 106,476 times
I bought a car I found on Craigslist. It wasn't from private party, it was a used car dealer. So I just went to the car lot. No problems at all.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:20 AM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
(Shaking head) ^ A textbook example of the scenario to avoid and why

THAT is what it's all about.
Meeting at my company warehouse seemed a lot safer to me. I don't care what the buyer thinks, they are buying the car, not the place it came from! Truck was advertised as damaged and 4 pics were in the ad (front end collision damage). It had a busted radiator so it drove around the parking lot but not for long (overheat due to no radiator).

It's not like I recommend meeting in a dark alley at 2 am......

Old 08-30-2015, 08:21 AM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Remember when you buy a used car from a private owner it's sold as is witch means you better take the car you want a mechanic to get checked out because if you don't and the motor or trans have a problem it's on you to get fixed. And most times the fix is more expensive than what you paid or the car. There is no warenty on a private sale.
How is that any different from a used car off a local car lot?

Old 08-30-2015, 09:12 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
How is that any different from a used car off a local car lot?
It is the same from we're ever you buy a used car from get it checked out first. And there are some original manufactures dealers that offer a used car warenty depending on the year and mileage on the car you want. But still get what ever car you want checked out by a certified mechanic not a weekend shade tree one. Also get a car fax many cars out their that we're in a flood out their we're water has starting to rust in hidden places like inside the doors and between the fenders and the I pillars.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:29 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,177,058 times
Not everone has a warehouse to sell from, if I was presented with that scenario I would wonder what the seller was up to. There's a difference between selling a beat up old truck and a decent or nice car for large money. And if I tell folks to come to my house I don't waste time going to my warehouse or meetup site or the local 5-0 cop shop. If it was such a valauble car or I didn't want to be bothered then I would drop it off at the dealership to be consigned. As for buying, if the car is in a terrible neighborhood and you don't feel comfortable, find another car. CL is full of them. I've bought and sold from CL plenty of times and not once have I been murdered.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:32 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,177,058 times
Hey city data, hitting "quick reply" just gave me the ever popular "wall of text" that readers find annoying. What gives?

Old 08-30-2015, 10:42 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
As a seller
Don't start your contact with "will you take x dollars" it's stupid and annoying. That's the fastest way for me to ignore anything else from you.

Understand you're buying a used car. Had a guy try to tell me a rust spot was body rot. He offered me $1500 on a truck I wanted 8500. I just laughed. The "body rot" was a scratch that rusted from the toolbox rubbing the bed rail. The toolbox was $1200. But to him it was a "deal breaker ". Never mind the truck got a dealer installed engine and transmission 5 months before and had a 5/50k warranty on the parts and 6 months left on labor. Insurance repair
Of course he called every day upping his offer by $500. I finally told him to stop calling.
Sold the truck 4 days later for asking price. And I kept the toolbox.

No endless texts.

Stop asking me questions I already stated in the ad.

Don't ask me to carry the loan

No I'm not waiting for two weeks for you to get the money.

I'll wait 15 minutes after the time you're supposed to be meeting me. If I don't hear from you I leave. I used to meet people at my house but no longer do. In some rare instances I can but prefer to meet at a bank and AAA. I will not sell a car without payment in full and transferring the title that day. It's nonnegotiable.

As a buyer
I bought one car on CL. I only look at one owner with service records no accidents. I understand I'm buying used.
I don't buy if the paperwork is not right. Missing pink slip or registration out of date, no current smog etc.
if the maintenance record can't be proven no thank you.

There are too many good solid vehicles out there to buy some headache pos.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:37 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
i've also asked for the VIN when it isn't provided and have met resistance to that. is this a common/fair request?
Heh. That's just goons being goons. It's like when you find pics of a vehicle where they stick a finger in the way of the license plate (or any other method to wipe out the license plate)...as if they are so important that I'm going to risk a felony to dig up their info for nefarious purposes. Sure, dude, you're that important.

You won't find any info about an owner from vehicle ID, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive