Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 11:36 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,156,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
I thought Craigslist was the "spreading some love" site where A) sellers don't do it for the money, they give stuff away for free or at 90% or more off retail/Ebay prices because that's the cool thing to do (peace/love/good vibes), B) because of A, that's where those who are not able or willing to actually pay market value go; you want, expect, and demand filet mignon for the price of hamburger-Craigslist is the place to go. And C) because it's local, that shuts out 90% of the global marketplace so that means a smaller buying pool which in turn dictates a lower selling price.

Anyone who asks Ebay or Amazon prices for ANYTHING on Craigslist is delusional. Doesn't matter if it's a car, a box of vinyl records, or an original Picasso. Craigslist is supposed to be used for giveaways and below fire sale prices ONLY. A more pragmatic and realistic way to approach Craigslist is to find the comparable item on one of the mainstream sites. Then take the going price and offer it for about five cents on the dollar if you wish to sell on CL. That's how it's supposed to be. Just like a yard sale. If you want to sell something from your driveway-NOTHING-not even a solid block of 24 karat gold-better be priced for more than a dollar. That's just the unwritten rule of how it goes. If I buy something on Ebay for $100 because that's what they go for, if someone expects me to buy it on CL, it better be priced for $5 or less-even if it's the exact same item in the exact same condition if he expects to make that sale. I'll spend $100 on Ebay. But not more than $5 on CL. If he wishes to get an Ebay price, then he needs to list it on Ebay.

Just as in real estate, location matters. And CL is NOT the place to try and make money. Ever. Anyone who does is fighting a lost cause.
lol just no. your entire post would have been better if you just mashed buttons on the keyboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 12:07 AM

178 posts, read 158,669 times
Quote:
I thought Craigslist was the "spreading some love" site where A) sellers don't do it for the money, they give stuff away for free or at 90% or more off retail/Ebay prices because that's the cool thing to do (peace/love/good vibes), B) because of A, that's where those who are not able or willing to actually pay market value go; you want, expect, and demand filet mignon for the price of hamburger-Craigslist is the place to go. And C) because it's local, that shuts out 90% of the global marketplace so that means a smaller buying pool which in turn dictates a lower selling price.

Anyone who asks Ebay or Amazon prices for ANYTHING on Craigslist is delusional. Doesn't matter if it's a car, a box of vinyl records, or an original Picasso. Craigslist is supposed to be used for giveaways and below fire sale prices ONLY. A more pragmatic and realistic way to approach Craigslist is to find the comparable item on one of the mainstream sites. Then take the going price and offer it for about five cents on the dollar if you wish to sell on CL. That's how it's supposed to be. Just like a yard sale. If you want to sell something from your driveway-NOTHING-not even a solid block of 24 karat gold-better be priced for more than a dollar. That's just the unwritten rule of how it goes. If I buy something on Ebay for $100 because that's what they go for, if someone expects me to buy it on CL, it better be priced for $5 or less-even if it's the exact same item in the exact same condition if he expects to make that sale. I'll spend $100 on Ebay. But not more than $5 on CL. If he wishes to get an Ebay price, then he needs to list it on Ebay.

Just as in real estate, location matters. And CL is NOT the place to try and make money. Ever. Anyone who does is fighting a lost cause.
Craigslist is just another classified section.

The super cheap listings are scams meant to rob the buyer of their money. Not the scamming "seller". 2006 Toyota Camry for $2000?!?!?!. That's some Mod cut. in Nigeria or perhaps in the States ready to pounce on the next fool who will fall for a fake "certified check" scam.

The legit cheap cars I see for low prices don't run, can't pass MD safety inspection or often have insufficient details. Rarely will sellers take 200 dollars less than their asking price and some will even go as far to say the price is FIRM.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-01-2017 at 11:33 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:11 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,308,775 times
Ok. Maybe it's different for cars. I don't know. I haven't really had any experience to speak of with that.

I do however otherwise stand firmly behind my post. It was not at all meant to be sarcastic or tongue in cheek. I base that on first hand experience. Like I said, maybe it's different with cars. Everything else though-furniture, electronics, vintage items, and the like-my repeated experiences have been pretty much a reflection of what I described.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:35 AM

6,013 posts, read 6,590,188 times
Quote:
Ok. Maybe it's different for cars. I don't know. I haven't really had any experience to speak of with that.

I do however otherwise stand firmly behind my post. It was not at all meant to be sarcastic or tongue in cheek. I base that on first hand experience. Like I said, maybe it's different with cars. Everything else though-furniture, electronics, vintage items, and the like-my repeated experiences have been pretty much a reflection of what I described.
Then you are robbing yourself...... I have sold everything from vehicles, to car audio, home audio, lawnmowers, etc..... Never have I sold anything for cents on the dollar. I research what they go for new, and what similar items are selling for used. That is how I determine my selling price. I sold one of my atvs last month for $1900. I only paid $900 for it when I originally purchased it. I told the seller it still didn't run just right, and he saw it and didn't care. This particular ATV was bringing $1,500-$2,500 everywhere else. So should I have sold it for less than I paid? I list my price, and let it sit until eventually someone interested comes along and pays my price.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:13 AM

3,422 posts, read 3,311,587 times
Craigslist car purchase story..
1. Sold my 1995 Chevy Blazer to someone; I insisted he bring a mechanic (he didn't!) Bought the truck...two weeks later he's calling me, raising Cain about "brakes are no good...alignment shot..." etc etc. Threaten to sue me, I say "Go ahead". Never heard back from him. I had witnesses, all say that he bought "as is" without a mechanic. Truck had 230K, what you expect?
2. Bought a 2001 Chrysler Voyager minivan for my wife when I was married. Took mechanic with me, he checked it out. Knocked about $500 off the asking price, bought the minivan. One of the best running vehicles bought - two weeks later I call seller, not to complain, but to thank him! Great vehicle. Incidentally, my wife and I split a few weeks after; she rear-ended another vehicle and totaled a perfectly good minivan! :-(
Point is you know Caveat Emptor (Let the buyer beware); there's also Caveat Venditor (Let the seller beware)!

Old 09-02-2015, 09:30 AM

16,979 posts, read 21,613,699 times
Quote:

I sold a pair of Cannondale bikes that I never rode on CL. Got $250 each from two buyers. A few months later I found the receipts, I bought them new 18 years earlier for $350 each. Not a terrible loss on some old bikes!

Old 09-02-2015, 10:11 AM

178 posts, read 158,669 times
Quote:

And you are still a fool because don't understand why furniture depreciates so severely while cars do not. It is rarely about charity, but rather about supply/demand or practical necessity such as moving or the business closing down.

Used furniture from private owners depreciate severely once in private hands. That is because people aren't chomping at the bit to buy them, especially with tighter budgets. I see businesses giving away their furniture because they have closed down. Cars follow a specific value decrease in line with blue book or Edmund's, or NADA.

Electronics also depreciated as they get old. They might lack features or the hardware is updated. That old comouter from 2004? A likely Pentium 4 (Northwood ) that is slow and guzzles a ton of power. The way CPUsare built, there are periodic iintroduction of new microarchitecture on new process nodes every few years. Chips that cost hundreds 10 years ago can be found for pennies everywhere--Amazon, EBay, craigslist.,

Old 09-02-2015, 03:58 PM

5,914 posts, read 6,395,282 times
Quote:

I'm sorry, but I have to pile on as well. Nothing you said in this post is even close to the truth about Craig's List. Are you actually expecting to pay $500 for a 2013 model vehicle that has well below 100k miles on it, then good luck with that.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:16 PM

3,743 posts, read 5,799,120 times
I have been fortunate with CL in selling my '97 Accord, '03 Accord, '00 S-10. Only the '03 did they come to the house. Others, I met at a Starbucks and Applebees. On another sale, I sold a Baldwin console piano there for a good price but it had been tuned regularly and looked good. I also played it for the buyer( LOL). It was cheaper and in better condition than the Kawai that had not been tuned and was newer and more expensive. I also was not in a hurry to get rid of the piano and I was not going to "give it away". As a poster said, CL has taken the place of the want ads. However, I did get a great deal on a Lexus that was advertised in the want ads.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:22 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,138,878 times
Success! Sold the V50 for $200 more than my bottom line and $2000 more than the dealer offered me. 2 grand is real money and well worth the effort and time for less than a week.

Be honest, be real, price it fairly and clean your stupid car out people!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive