Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chevron Techron vs Shell V-Power: which additive is better, or is there no difference?
Chevron Techron is better 9 17.65%
Shell V-Power is better 13 25.49%
There is no difference between them 29 56.86%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 10:35 PM

72 posts, read 231,734 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious what people think about the additives of these two major gas companies. Is one better than the other in terms of MPG/efficiency and performance? Or is there no difference between them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 10:46 PM

348 posts, read 831,132 times
If either of them made any noticeable difference in most vehicles, it wouldn't be sold in bottles, it would be included in every gallon of gasoline refined in the country. The truth is, most of the time they're a complete waste of money, although occasionally they may only be a partial waste of money.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:26 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volxen View Post
I'm just curious what people think about the additives of these two major gas companies. Is one better than the other in terms of MPG/efficiency and performance? Or is there no difference between them?
Interesting question / poll, Volxen . . .

For most all of my "driving" life I always believed the old saying . . . "Gasolines are all the same."

Then back in the late 90s I adopted a 1986 Jeep CJ-7 that turned out to be a big ole pain in the butt to start and keep running, especially when cold. A few very qualified mechanics tried all of the known and some of the not so known tricks with no improvement whatsoever. I had all but surrendered when an old car club buddy / enthusiast asked me what gas I was using. When I said mostly Costco Gas he suggested trying another brand and suggested Shell V-Power Premium.

Believe it or not, after the first tank the Jeep was showing a huge improvement. Now, 15 plus years and never anything but Shell V-Power later, the problem has never reappeared.

I often wonder if it's possible the old Jeep is able to read the pumps.

Last edited by Bummer; 09-03-2015 at 11:50 PM..

Old 09-04-2015, 03:11 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times
As a former fuel hauler, I can assure you there's little difference. All additive packages must meet EPA and API specs.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Interesting question / poll, Volxen . . .

For most all of my "driving" life I always believed the old saying . . . "Gasolines are all the same."

Then back in the late 90s I adopted a 1986 Jeep CJ-7 that turned out to be a big ole pain in the butt to start and keep running, especially when cold. A few very qualified mechanics tried all of the known and some of the not so known tricks with no improvement whatsoever. I had all but surrendered when an old car club buddy / enthusiast asked me what gas I was using. When I said mostly Costco Gas he suggested trying another brand and suggested Shell V-Power Premium.

Believe it or not, after the first tank the Jeep was showing a huge improvement. Now, 15 plus years and never anything but Shell V-Power later, the problem has never reappeared.

I often wonder if it's possible the old Jeep is able to read the pumps.

The difference was likely because you switched octane ratings, from regular (87) to premium (93).

Old 09-04-2015, 06:28 AM

923 posts, read 1,430,163 times
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GASOLINE BRANDS

Old 09-04-2015, 08:45 AM

400 posts, read 573,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitem3 View Post

Good article. Pretty much sync's with everything I've read and been told by fuel haulers.

My advice to people is to ignore brands, and just buy at a gas station that has lots of traffic (high turnover = fresh gas) and that looks decently maintained. Hopefully they apply the same mentality to their tanks and filters.

My in-laws hate Citgo gas with a passion. Oddly enough, it's not political. They just think it's junk gas. Conversely, they think BP is the best gas ever. I keep telling them that we have a Citgo tank farm in our city, and that 90% of the gas that is sold within the area comes from that Citgo tank farm (per a recent news article in the paper). So that BP gas that they are buying and claiming is so much better is actually Citgo gas. They just stare at me blankly, and repeat how crappy Citgo gas is. I've learned to just move on....

Old 09-04-2015, 11:47 AM

Filling a tanker truck at the loading rack is like filling a cup at the soda fountain. The bulk of the liquid is RBOB (carbonated water), with a little bit of additive (syrup) mixed in. The additive (syrup) is what brands the product.

I've hauled many loads of Exxon-branded gasoline out of a Valero refinery.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:58 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,249,611 times
Where I live, there are no branded gas stations that purport to have detergents.

I'm going to start adding a bottle of techron periodically just as a precaution.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
Where I live, there are no branded gas stations that purport to have detergents.

I'm going to start adding a bottle of techron periodically just as a precaution.
All gasoline, whether branded or not, contains detergent additives, referred to as DCAs (deposit control additive). These are mandated by the Clean Air Act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive