Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 10:08 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,418,228 times

Advertisements

Are today's cars that worth it with a higher price tag compared to cars years ago that way less?

Besides fuel mileage.

Today's new and used cars like are the same prices like a new jaguar S was when they first came on the market

Plus today's trucks like a Silverado will go from 40 to 60 thousand dollars along with a Suburban that 60 to 80. Not to mention the Escalade which is higher.

While back in the 70s and 80s a Silverado costed 3000 .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 10:37 PM

899 posts, read 1,014,729 times
I have a 1984 Chevy Silverado 6.2L diesel that I use for towing and it gets decent enough fuel mileage - not so bad that I'd buy a new Silverado. Plus, the character of the old truck beats any safety or convenience benefits of the newer truck.

Then I have a 1969 Chevy Suburban (no air conditioning, power brakes, or power steering), a 1972 Chevy Suburban, and a 1972 GMC Suburban. Never would I trade them in for a 2015 Suburban or Yukon. I could go even older on these Chevy trucks I have, but the thread title says to stay in the 70s.

I also have a 1980 Chevy G30 Hi-Cube van and a 1987 GMC MagnaVan. They both look way better than the Express/Savana cutaway vans, and once again the character renders any modern perks (including fuel mileage and air conditioning) worthless to me.

So no, not worth it.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:14 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburger View Post
I have a 1984 Chevy Silverado 6.2L diesel that I use for towing and it gets decent enough fuel mileage - not so bad that I'd buy a new Silverado. Plus, the character of the old truck beats any safety or convenience benefits of the newer truck.

Then I have a 1969 Chevy Suburban (no air conditioning, power brakes, or power steering), a 1972 Chevy Suburban, and a 1972 GMC Suburban. Never would I trade them in for a 2015 Suburban or Yukon. I could go even older on these Chevy trucks I have, but the thread title says to stay in the 70s.

I also have a 1980 Chevy G30 Hi-Cube van and a 1987 GMC MagnaVan. They both look way better than the Express/Savana cutaway vans, and once again the character renders any modern perks (including fuel mileage and air conditioning) worthless to me.

So no, not worth it.
Agreed. I'd rather risk having to crap in a bag and scoot around in a motor-chair any day rather than drive one of them thar new-fangled safer vehicles, should I get in a wreck! Live fast, die young, baby!

Old 09-05-2015, 12:56 AM

1,809 posts, read 5,418,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburger View Post

So no, not worth it.
You can go back further if you want

Old 09-05-2015, 04:20 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
There is a reason why odometers in the older cars only went to 100,000 miles.
Nostalgia plays a part.
I'd personally rather drive a 1952 Hudson Hornet or a 1950 Nash Ambassador. Nice comfortable ride.
But all of the components are inferior to todays.
And if you got into a head on accident the steering wheel would go right through you.

Years ago just about every city/town had a radiator shop. Those are long gone now. Why? Because the old radiators were made out of steel and the new radiators are made out of aluminum. Get it?

Old 09-05-2015, 07:09 AM

899 posts, read 1,014,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
You can go back further if you want
Well, I also have 1953 and 1958 Suburbans. The '53 isn't running yet (has a Buick V6 and THM200 dropped in it), but the '58 does with a 235 and a 3 on the tree. No seatbelts, forget air conditioning, a muffler, and power steering/brakes. It looks awesome with all its imperfections. All of them tell the truck's story over the years, including the orange paint someone sprayed over the original yellow from when it was the school bus it was born as.

Next I have a 1967 Chevy C10. The bed has a giant hole in it from over the years, no seatbelts or muffler, manual steering, no air, and the original 250 I6 was swapped for a V8 with a floor shift converted 3 speed (now it has a 283 because we blew the first V8 up). The engine smokes nonstop until you turn the truck off with either the original but broken key or a flathead screwdriver, and I just swapped a 1972 Cheyenne front clip onto it since I wanted the 67 one for the GMC Suburban. It's getting a long overdue maintenance break now after keeping it on the road until 2013, but I still don't want a regular cab Silverado 1500 over it. I'll fix what I have.

Then, I have a 1959 Chevy Apache 36. It was converted to a service truck (has a utility bed with a bunch of lockable compartments). 235, 4 speed on the floor, once again forget air conditioning, a muffler, power brakes, power steering, and seatbelts. It has some rust, but runs and drives pretty good. Tons of character, which is part of why a 2015 Silverado 2500 is not worth it.

My daily driver is a '96 Grand Cherokee with 272k miles on it - if it ain't dead, no reason to get rid of it. As for my 2000 540i wagon, do they even make a 5 series wagon anymore, let alone sell it on US soil?

Edit: Forgot my 1985 and 1991 VW Jettas. The '85 is a lot easier to work on than a mk6 Jetta. My '91 not so much. It has the finnicky Digifant II injection system and a 3 speed non overdrive automatic, which means the starter is mounted right near the manifold so it gets too hot. No airbags in either one, but the 1985 Jetta's air works like a dream, and they both feel like go karts with their 8v engines. I love VW's products today (even though they're making some dumb decisions), but I'll keep my mk2's. A simple 3800SC L67/4T60 or manual swap in my 1991 Jetta will do the trick...

Then I have a bunch of other stuff that isn't made anymore.

Last edited by Dburger; 09-05-2015 at 07:30 AM..

Old 04-19-2017, 12:49 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,937,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Are today's cars that worth it with a higher price tag compared to cars years ago that way less?

Besides fuel mileage.

Today's new and used cars like are the same prices like a new jaguar S was when they first came on the market

Plus today's trucks like a Silverado will go from 40 to 60 thousand dollars along with a Suburban that 60 to 80. Not to mention the Escalade which is higher.

While back in the 70s and 80s a Silverado costed 3000 .
In 1990 a Corvette was about $30k. Adjusted for inflation they would be about $65k in today's dollars. That's about what they sell for now with more features, safety, reliability, and performance.

Trucks have jumped in price, but that's only because they've evolved from bare bones work vehicles to decked out luxury vehicles with a bed.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:52 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
I would drive a fully restored something or other as a weekend/pleasure driver. For a dd I prefer today's cars. Sorry but you can't compare a car built 30-40 years ago to the modern car. I spend enough time in a driver seat of a car that I need a comfortable car with AC radio etc. as I a, in a car a lot I need the safety features. Sorry but I dont want to crap in a bag or be in a scooter chair.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:59 AM

749 posts, read 733,652 times
Today's vehicles are better than ever. No question.

THE question is whether or not you're willing to pay the price. I am not.

Also, there is the sentimental part of me that LOVES driving an old 56 Chevy 3100, with the inline 6 (perfect sound) and the 3 On The Tree.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:38 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Part of the increase in price is improved safety MPG and/or performance, technology (bluetooth and GPS). Part of it is meeting new regulations.

As the price of cars edge closer to and even over the price of a house, I cannot see how the current path is sustainable. Fortunately they last a lot longer than they used to so the price is a little more palatable to people who keep their cars. Those who lease or buy new every 3-5 years, I do not see how they do it. I think for most people annual income is down form 2005 or so levels. Yet the price of cars keeps climbing like mad. I do not understand how that is working. I have heard they are going to 80 and even 96 month loans to keep payments manageable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive