Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 10:38 AM

70 posts, read 124,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Just because you kept talking about mpg, OP.
How about this for a 7 seater with AWD? At known ridiculous reliability?
what are you driving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 10:43 AM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
Quote:
Hand calculated or it didn't happen.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:15 AM

658 posts, read 723,767 times
got myself a Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited and it's on the way home end of this month. Why FWD though?

Old 09-08-2015, 11:47 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
That center console panel looks like a Toyota/Lexus panel. This is probably a Lexus.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:03 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
I don't think you really pay attention once you drive it a lot, it becomes 2nd nature. You don't really look as much just like most race car drivers go completely with feel. The engine, tranny, and throttle response becomes your communicator. When I drive stick I rather not have a conversation because I'm trying to anticipate gear shifts.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:18 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't think you really pay attention once you drive it a lot, it becomes 2nd nature. You don't really look as much just like most race car drivers go completely with feel. The engine, tranny, and throttle response becomes your communicator. When I drive stick I rather not have a conversation because I'm trying to anticipate gear shifts.
Just got home and was driving my 93 Chevy C1500 V6 5SP. Shifting is as automatic as steering to me and I wish everything I drive from here forward is manual. I drive some traffic but mainly back roads and those are a breeze. A full sized truck is supposed to be manual.
The Cadillac? It wouldn't be right and I am used to just sitting and steering it w/CC engaged.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:10 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
It is 43 years since I have driven in snow. Back in those days I found a FWD was a better snowshoe bunny than a RWD. Never drove anything that was 4WD. They were much less common then.

I regard small SUV/crossovers as tall station wagons. We had a number of wagons and they were very useful vehicles. Every time we got a sedan, I ended up wishing we hadn't.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:55 PM

3,316 posts, read 2,132,650 times
New Grand Cherokee diesel 4x4 is surprisingly good, though its price point is a bit salty imo.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:26 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
OP, if you like a mid-size crossover, then get one. Just test drive a few (Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, Hyundai Tucson, Kia Sportage & the Ford Escape). Most of these are probably more reliable than the Chevy. I like the styling of the GMC terrain which is the twin to the Equinox, but again suffers from the same reliability issues.

Get a copy of the consumer reports new car and read about the different make/models.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:26 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Speaking as someone that has driven 4X4 vehicles since mid 70s, if you are driving in snow especially deep snow go for a 4X4 vehicle. I carry a tow strap (long) at all times when driving on regular 2 lane roads, especially where there is no cell service. I have towed many 2 wheel drive both FWD and RWD vehicles back into the drive lane out of snow banks.

Our main car is a 2012 Explorer which is a mid size SUV. It has AWD with a dial that lets you adjust for type of driving you are doing. Dry pavement, on to snow and ice, with all wheels working full time 4X4 and set to handle special conditions to keep tires from spinning, and keep traction. Push a button, in the middle, when going down steep roads or extreamely slick ones and it adjusts the transmission to hold back, also adjusts the brakes for that type of driving.

Yes studded snow tires are a necessity in snow country especially when mountains and hills are involved. The studs give it a grip to go if icy, and will greatly reduce the distance to stop. When they put the chain law into effect, where everyone has to put on chains to continue driving on the road, a 4X4 with studded snow tires qualifies the same as a chained up car and allowed to stay on the road. You don't take the risk of breaking a chain, and the chain tearing up your car for a few thousand dollars of body work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive