Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 01:45 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xamius View Post
I have insurance..
How do you get vehicle insurance with no title or registration. I don't know of any insurance company taking that risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 02:24 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Well, having plates will get you past a lot of places, as long as you don't attract attention to yourself.

I've seen people driving with plates expired a couple or three months, here, where the sticker on the tag is obvious. One car has a Sept 14 sticker on his plate and it was March of 15. It all depends on what the cops are looking for at any given time.

So, having at least some documentation on the sale will help you talk your way out of having the car impounded will help. But, you're still taking a big chance. Good luck.
Just because the sticker is expired doesn't mean the plate is expired. It could have been bad weather the day the sticker came in, and the driver could have forgotten to put it on, just sticking it and the new registration in the glovebox.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:28 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,430 times
I'm also thinking the OP might want to make sure with his insurance company that he is indeed covered for liability with expired plates. The answer may surprise him.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:37 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,399,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
How do you get vehicle insurance with no title or registration. I don't know of any insurance company taking that risk.
I used Progressive and they never once asked for my registration or registration details. In fact, I often purchased the policy prior to completing the purchase transaction for the car, just so I could drive the car home once the deal went through (and the dealer gave me temporaries).

I then switched to a different insurer and they did require a copy of my insurance, but just stating that it isn't universal.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:47 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,128 times
I hope you dress sharp to mitigate the risk of police suspecting you could be a terrorist or cartel member.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:29 PM

233 posts, read 230,590 times
Life is about risk management. Only take risk if there's a potential benefits that come with it. I don't see any real benefits in taking the risk.

Find alternative form of transportation if you have exhausted all means of getting your car inspected, registered and insured.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:41 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
In the states that I have registered vehicles, where insurance was required, it has always been required that insurance be obtained before a registration is issued.

Title is a different story, though in some states, if the vehicle is over a certain age no title is necessary, only a bill of sale.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:42 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,360 times
OP just make sure your insurance isn't lapsed and up to date. Every state is different so I can't speak for all of them but, I suspect at the very least you will be in for a ticket.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:47 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I used Progressive and they never once asked for my registration or registration details. In fact, I often purchased the policy prior to completing the purchase transaction for the car, just so I could drive the car home once the deal went through (and the dealer gave me temporaries).

I then switched to a different insurer and they did require a copy of my insurance, but just stating that it isn't universal.
Read the post, no title no registration, no insurance.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:45 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,408 times
Quote:
Read the post, no title no registration, no insurance.
Did you read the OP's post? He said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xamius View Post
I have insurance.
OP, I was out of state driving on expired tags/inspection last year. I don't recommend it at all btw!

I did contact my state DMV and I was told that as long as my tags actually belonged to my car (matches my vin#), I have a valid DL and proof of current insurance, I would probably just be cited and sent on my way. Luckily, I never got stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive