Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 09:10 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,755,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Another small detail I'd check before going after the gauge ... is that the cooling system is, in fact, running at proper temperature and has adequate coolant fill in it.

So, I'd run the motor (probably drive around a few miles) up to normal operating temperature ... if I remember right, it's around 195F. You can use a temp sensing infrared probe to see what the temp is at the upper radiator hose outlet on the manifold and the lower radiator hose, as well as the hot water temp going into the heater core.
If you've got water circulating through the radiator, but not through the heater core (and not much heat out of it), then you've still go an airlock in the manifold, which could be causing an error in the temp gauge sender reading.

In our '96 with the 3.0V6, with a standard temp thermostat working properly, the temp gauge on 70F day will normally read just at the bottom of the "normal" band on the gauge. It takes working the truck hard at 75 mph with a load and the air conditioner on during a hot day to bring the temp up to just below the middle of the gauge. Other than when a molded heater hose sprung a pinhole leak coming back from Texas one day and we lost most of the coolant in Southern Colorado on a warm day, I've never seen the temp gauge read higher than mid-way in this truck.

If the water temp is fine, fill is good, and the radiator cap is holding correct pressure for the water to circulate properly, then I'd check the gauge readings for the various resistance settings per the manual.
Yep, I've checked that and it all looks good. Plus I still get great heat from the heater in the dead of winter here in Kansas, so it's not that I'm actually running cold...

I just don't want to leave the gauge unfixed because my truck is 12 years old and has near a quarter million miles on it. Don't want to overheat (not that it ever has up to now...) and not be aware of it until too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 09:52 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,207,011 times
You know instead of going to the trouble to fix a gauge that isn't that accurate anyways. Why not just install an aftermarket gauge that will tell you teh true temps?

James

Old 01-29-2008, 05:04 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,679 times
Yikes, taking dashboards apart. I've done that on several cars over the years and always end up with extra screws leftover. Proceed with caution.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
You know instead of going to the trouble to fix a gauge that isn't that accurate anyways. Why not just install an aftermarket gauge that will tell you teh true temps?

James
Because there's nowhere in the dash where I could put it, and I don't want it just sitting on top of the dash or on the floor. I don't need highly accurate, I just need the normal gauge that will tell me if it's overheating.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:47 PM

310 posts, read 1,196,854 times
Remember that removing the dash may be easy but there are some things to consider. Don't break the little plastic tampering part on the odometer. If you do and sell your vehicle without telling anyone its a crime. This part is to prevent people from setting back the odometer. Also, the air bag could go off in your face if you mess around near the wiring to much. Disconnect the battery while you change the gauge. It is easy and if I remember you only have to remove the gauge cover not the entire dash. You should be able to handle it though. If you do remove it, keep everything exactly the way it was, you wouldn't want to get an annoying noise coming from the gauge cluster when your done. Hope this helps. EW

Old 01-31-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwar View Post
Remember that removing the dash may be easy but there are some things to consider. Don't break the little plastic tampering part on the odometer. If you do and sell your vehicle without telling anyone its a crime. This part is to prevent people from setting back the odometer. Also, the air bag could go off in your face if you mess around near the wiring to much. Disconnect the battery while you change the gauge. It is easy and if I remember you only have to remove the gauge cover not the entire dash. You should be able to handle it though. If you do remove it, keep everything exactly the way it was, you wouldn't want to get an annoying noise coming from the gauge cluster when your done. Hope this helps. EW
Understood, yes. Not ever selling the vehicle though. Plus the gauge cluster is just that -- a one piece unit basically comes out whole (which is kind of the issue because darned if I wouldn't rather just replace one gauge).

Oh well...I think it's a project for warmer weather since I don't have a garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive