Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2015, 09:29 AM

215 posts, read 567,400 times

Advertisements

Took the 2003 Honda Odyssey (145,000 miles) for an airbag recall, to Honda.
A year and a half ago it was over heating and took it to 3 diff mechanics who all said head gasket and $4,000.....
So put sealant in it instead and seemed to solve the issue. Started to overheat the other day so whilst it's at Honda we asked them to quote on head gasket, they said a lot less than these other mechanics. Then Honda call us to say they did the diagnostics, it isn't worth repairing as other issues so to get a new engine with similar miles and 3 year warranty for $2200 (labor and parts), but apparently also needs other work such as water pump leaking, timing belts, steering column, and the sliding doors are stiff and don't close easily etc. In all they have quoted $4800 to get everything done.

Oh and we recently paid $1000 for new tires and brakes.

So, do we spend a crazy amount on it but have the 3 year warranty on the engine and an older car but with a lot done to it?

Or try to trade it in and get a newer car and pay monthly, but I would not want to go and get another older car and risk all these problems..... Maybe only a pre-certified with a good finance deal??? Any ideas? I don't necessarily need a minivan but need space, we are a family of 5.

Or drive this Honda until it dies and don't spend on it......

Also, I will at some point between the next 4 - 9 months be getting a car through work, but no guarantee as to exactly when, so don't necessarily want to get tied into a lease/payment, or if we did purchase a newer car would want to sell it after I get the car through work!!

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 09:38 AM

8,076 posts, read 10,020,575 times
Drive it into the ground. Put some more sealant in it...and get as many miles from the tires and brakes as u can.

Revisit the fix/buy decision once u know what the work vehicle will be.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:47 AM

4,684 posts, read 6,102,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Drive it into the ground. Put some more sealant in it...and get as many miles from the tires and brakes as u can.

Revisit the fix/buy decision once u know what the work vehicle will be.

I could see the Craigslist add for this car ....Drives Great...... no leaks and doesnt overheat, good timing belt and just needs a lil lube for these stiff doors.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:08 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,888,948 times
I wouldn't put another $ into this vehicle. You didn't even mention the transmission so I assume it's still original. If that goes, you are looking at another $2K+

Just for reference, I purchased a 2004 EXL with 160K miles and fresh rebuilt trans with 1 year warranty for about $3K. Any additional money you put in your car will go to waste.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:15 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,329,854 times
The water pump and timing belt should be done before the new engine is installed so it should be pretty cheap. They shouldn't charge you full pop for those items.
The doors I would look and see if the track is gummed up with crap that was dropped in the groove. Maybe the rollers are all gummed up. Should t be much to DIY the track.

How's the interior and exterior? If it's trashed I wouldn't put money in it. If it's good condition other than the engine I would fix and drive it. See if dealer will discount the price. I would ask them what discount can thy offer if you decide to go through them for the work. If they say nothing well you're not out anything. how many miles? The trans may be a problem but Hondas had few trans problems

Old 09-10-2015, 11:32 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,888,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The water pump and timing belt should be done before the new engine is installed so it should be pretty cheap. They shouldn't charge you full pop for those items.
The doors I would look and see if the track is gummed up with crap that was dropped in the groove. Maybe the rollers are all gummed up. Should t be much to DIY the track.

How's the interior and exterior? If it's trashed I wouldn't put money in it. If it's good condition other than the engine I would fix and drive it. See if dealer will discount the price. I would ask them what discount can thy offer if you decide to go through them for the work. If they say nothing well you're not out anything. how many miles? The trans may be a problem but Hondas had few trans problems
The sliding door can definitely be a DIY job. Just takes some time but there are a few known wear parts that can be DIY, just takes some time.

The trans is definitely a problem the Honda Odyssey, enough for Honda to extend the warranty.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:03 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,961,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I could see the Craigslist add for this car ....Drives Great...... no leaks and doesnt overheat, good timing belt and just needs a lil lube for these stiff doors.
Edit ad. Mechanic special, title in hand 1500 cash today!

I agree with the others. I wouldn't spend another dollar in it...

To Ted bear, Op did drive it to the ground. Lol

Old 09-10-2015, 02:41 PM

928 posts, read 2,712,000 times
I think if the rest of the van is nice, fix it.
No rust, clean inside, AC blows cold etc...
$4,800 to fix it all, not bad IMO.
If you go buy a different van for $3,000 , you may spend more.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:02 PM

18,887 posts, read 27,349,956 times
The entire overheating saga somehow does not sound right.
Also, should have been careful with that sealant as NOW you have all small passages in the cooling system plugged with it and NOW it does overheat maybe just for that same reason. So yeah, go ahead and "add more sealant".
OP, you need to talk to friends and people and find a good reasonably priced independent mech that will 1. diagnose it right and 2. fix it cheap. Even if it's a head gasket, though I doubt.
You know, exhaust leak tester is not that expensive, 30 or so bucks. It may be well worth finding a pal that can do this for you.
Or even simply this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySs9LWV7AXk

Also, talk to local Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts guys. They always know a decent mobile mech that hangs around.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:03 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,961,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider7811 View Post
I think if the rest of the van is nice, fix it.
No rust, clean inside, AC blows cold etc...
$4,800 to fix it all, not bad IMO.
If you go buy a different van for $3,000 , you may spend more.
I d save 4800, sell the van for 1500, then I got 6300. Go find a 2006plus van.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive