Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 07:58 PM

50 posts, read 45,099 times

Advertisements

I have 6 months knowledge about automotive industry. But I am trying to know about this more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 08:01 PM

805 posts, read 1,872,304 times
OP, start watching guys like Eric the Car Guy, ChrisFix and Scotty Kilmer on youtube.

In particular Eric the Car guy is very educational. Here's a good place to start...an oil change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqCEIkU9r6U

Old 09-10-2015, 11:24 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Some of us live and breathe cars, and we learned what we know by making every mistake in the book and by just wanting to learn how to do things properly. You do not have to be a full blown car nut to learn some very basic things, and a great source these days is the internet and sites like YouTube. I use YouTube for everything from how to make something for dinner to how to repair my broken washing machine.

Start by doing simple things to your car, like changing the oil, checking the fluids, etc. Buy a good, basic tool set that contains things like a socket set (SAE and metric) combination wrenches, screw drivers, pliers, and tools like that. Skin your knuckles a few times and get comfortable with how the tools work.

I have been playing with cars for the past 60 years, and still learn something every time I build a new one or fix something. That is the fun of working on them.

Don

Old 09-11-2015, 06:45 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
No formal automotive training, but I am a mechanical engineer and have been working on cars since I was 16. Not much I haven't done by now on a car.

I started off when I was 16 just doing oil changes, and now i'm rebuilding transmissions and engines for fun. I tend to troubleshoot electrical very well since I have an advanced electrical background due to career. So newer electronics in cars don't scare me off.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 09-11-2015 at 06:53 AM..

Old 09-11-2015, 06:49 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
I have a degree in auto mechanics, but after graduating, decided it really wasnt what I wanted to do, so I have no new training, since 1989. I can do a good bit of stuff myself, and still do, but some stuff I let m dealer do. They can change my oil and rotate my tires faster and cheaper than I can do it myself!!

Old 09-11-2015, 09:16 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,223,811 times
I learned from my father but not to his depth of knowledge. I mostly do electrical, brakes, oil changes, a/c, coolant changes. Motorcycles I do everything but transmission and engine rebuilds, including mounting and balancing my own tires.

I also like to take things apart to try to fix it rather then just remove and replace.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:31 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
OP, there's a small group of guys on here that actually know a lot about cars. Probably only about 20 regular posters. Threads like yours come up fairly often, and the advice I generally give is that if you have specific questions about a specific car, you're far better off finding a dedicated forum with plenty of other members with that same car, and chances are, your question has probably already been asked and answered a million times, so no need to put up with people "guessing" on this site, because they're often completely wrong.

This isn't really a proper automotive forum, it's a diversion from the regular real estate/city minded forums.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Most information a novice needs to know is written down in the cars owners manual. read it and follow the maintenance schedule.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:18 AM

4 posts, read 3,107 times
WOW! Speechless. You guys know a lot about cars than I can imagine. Well thanks for those advices (lookng at Youtube). YouTube don't have all the information you need (that are basic informations instead of COLLEGE VOCAB) so its hard to find good information on both Google and Youtube. Thanks to everyone for replying!

Old 09-11-2015, 11:26 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I understand the basic principles of how and why a car works, well enough to know BS when I hear it. When something goes wwrong, I'm not too bad at running through diagnostic options and having a sense of what is involved. I might not have been a good mechanic, though, because I don't have a good sense of tolerances (don't know when a repair is "good enough") So I've never done much of my own work beyond, say, replacing brake pads, or tying up a dragging muffler with a coat hanger. But I'm too conservative to have destroyed a car by tinkering with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive