Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 07:58 PM

100 posts, read 155,489 times

Advertisements

I had a new Jeep, but... after listening to Dave Ramsey I thought it would be a good idea to get rid of my new car and drive a "beater" to cut down on debt. So I did.. I got my dealer to buy my Jeep back for what I owed. 11K dollars. So with that off my plate I took out a 4K loan with my credit union to buy me a cash car.

So I found a 2003 Explorer with 168K miles on it for $2100. I took a risk... only to be lied too by the people who sold it to me. here in Texas you have to get an inspection when registering it... So it passed inspection but the mechanic told me it needed a new timing chain. which it does. because there is a clicking noise underneath the hood.

I didn't hear it when I bought it... but when I drove down the road the clicking noise got worse. so now... I have a guy doing it for me for $1250. Im $3,350 into this nightmare.

I didn't wanna risk buying another cash car with the rest of the money out of the 4K. so I just decided to fix it. anyone have a similar story? this just sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 08:01 PM

50 posts, read 45,099 times
Thinking is good. Though I always care for new one. Don't like second hand car.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:47 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Did you have the vehicle inspected BEFORE purchase? Either way if you fixed it just drive it. Whatever car payment you used to make make it to yourself in a savings/investment account

Old 09-10-2015, 08:48 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
You honestly think that a dealer (colloquially known as a "stealer") would not have sold a car to you with a problem?
Timing chains or belts are a scheduled maintenance item. Yes, they need to be changed at a certain mileage to avoid engine damage.
You paid $2100 for a high mileage Ford and expected it to be perfect?
Did the seller actually lie and say the timing chain was good to go for many miles, or did they just not mention it?
Did the Bill Of Sale state "as is, where is, with no warranty expressed on implied"?
Sorry, but IMO you bought a POS Ford Exploder with over 100K miles. You have no complaint coming.
You ask if others have had a similar problem. Yes, I got s smokin' good deal (I thought) on a high mileage 4X4 pickup. Since I bought it, I have replaced the front hub bearings and the complete rear axle assembly, for a total cost of a little over $2000. I also replaced the spark plug wires, spark plugs, rotor and cap. Total cost, about $200 parts and labor. It now needs the transmission serviced (probably never been done), the air conditioner serviced, and the throttle body cleaned, for a price tag of about $300. Maybe more. It will also need new tires soon.
Those who do not want the expense of maintaining a used vehicle should never buy used.
Personally, I will never buy new again. I have done that twice, once in 1969 and once in 1982. Never again, at the price they want now for a new vehicle!

Last edited by Redraven; 09-10-2015 at 08:57 PM..

Old 09-10-2015, 08:52 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,086,495 times
Dealers are no better except you'll also pay a premium on the car that could be used to replace the timing chain. I also don't think cutting down an 11k loan on a new car to a 4k loan on an old car that could go at any minute is an entirely wise financial decision (you're saving what, maybe $100 a month?)

Old 09-10-2015, 09:00 PM

redraven I never said I expected it to be perfect. I knew I would have to put money into it. but did not think I would have to sink 1200 in it already. I did not get it inspected as It was a meet at a gas station type deal. It drove ok to me, but then as I drove it I could hear more clicking noises.

Im not looking for sympathy from any of you, I don't expect anything to be perfect. Im just sharing my story that's all. I have seen Explorers have over 220K on them which is a reason why I bought it to get me through a couple years until I save up to buy a new one.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:01 PM

cutting my debt from 11K to 4K is a good idea. I don't care what anyone says. now I have a vehicle with high miles but am fixing it.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:03 PM

120 posts, read 298,585 times
Always get it inspected. At least your only 4k in and not 20k

Old 09-10-2015, 09:07 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMan59 View Post
redraven I never said I expected it to be perfect. I knew I would have to put money into it. but did not think I would have to sink 1200 in it already. I did not get it inspected as It was a meet at a gas station type deal. It drove ok to me, but then as I drove it I could hear more clicking noises.

Im not looking for sympathy from any of you, I don't expect anything to be perfect. Im just sharing my story that's all. I have seen Explorers have over 220K on them which is a reason why I bought it to get me through a couple years until I save up to buy a new one.
So, who lied, and what about?

Old 09-10-2015, 09:08 PM

Thank you for the positive feedback maddog49, some people just are negative and like to hit you left and right with negativity. Im trying to look at the bright side of this all. I hope it can last a couple years. thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive