Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 09:15 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
How much is your commercial coverage? I also have USAA and not in the four listed states and might look into Ubering during my spare time when I'm not plowing during the winter.
USAA told me that your auto coverage stops when you turn the app on....risky!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 09:19 PM

846 posts, read 1,399,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
I was under the impression that commercial insurance for driving people for hire was something like $X,XXX...how is that worth it?

Mine was about $10 extra a month. I specifically told them I drive for Uber/Lyft occasionally and what were my options, and that's what they figured out. We have been hit badly by an uninsured driver, so that's not an option for us and we wouldn't risk other peoples lives, or our own, for the sake of a few dollars.

FWIW, I just logged into my insurance policy and there is now Uber/Lyft gap coverage listed as an option and I don't live in one of the 4 states previously mentioned. Might be worth it to log into your auto policy if you're with USAA to see if that exists now for you.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:27 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
Mine was about $10 extra a month. I specifically told them I drive for Uber/Lyft occasionally and what were my options, and that's what they figured out. We have been hit badly by an uninsured driver, so that's not an option for us and we wouldn't risk other peoples lives, or our own, for the sake of a few dollars.

FWIW, I just logged into my insurance policy and there is now Uber/Lyft gap coverage listed as an option and I don't live in one of the 4 states previously mentioned. Might be worth it to log into your auto policy if you're with USAA to see if that exists now for you.
Ahhhh I got you....what you have is not commercial insurance. It is your insurance company extending your existing coverage into Period 1. As soon as you hit Period 2 your personal insurance doesn't apply anymore.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:31 PM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post

Where do you find the Uber/Lyft coverage on USAA? I poked around on my vehicles and found the what you use the vehicle for, business (says uber not included) pleasure and farm.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Ahhhh I got you....what you have is not commercial insurance. It is your insurance company extending your existing coverage into Period 1. As soon as you hit Period 2 your personal insurance doesn't apply anymore.
Nope, when I signed up for the commercial coverage Lyft/Uber gap insurance was not an option. We did this 6-8 months ago.

What I said previously about seeing the gap coverage was a discovery as of that posting, not what I did for my insurance. As I said in that post, I specifically said I drive for Uber/Lyft occasionally and wanted to make sure I was covered at all times while using the app and that risking the lives of myself or others was not an option and that is what the USAA rep gave me. I spoke to them on the phone some time ago and added this to my coverage at that point.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Where do you find the Uber/Lyft coverage on USAA? I poked around on my vehicles and found the what you use the vehicle for, business (says uber not included) pleasure and farm.
Edit coverages, all the way at the bottom. Maybe it hasn't rolled out to your state just yet.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:52 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
The laws need to be changed. Uber is a great service, but the terms state that you must be 18 or older to use it. Because of this, the riders are all adults and give valid consent to the Uber driver and should agree to take on the risks. There should be an implicit clause that prevents riders from suing Uber or the driver in a crash, unless gross negligence (e.g. reckless driving) can be proven.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:13 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
The laws need to be changed. Uber is a great service, but the terms state that you must be 18 or older to use it. Because of this, the riders are all adults and give valid consent to the Uber driver and should agree to take on the risks. There should be an implicit clause that prevents riders from suing Uber or the driver in a crash, unless gross negligence (e.g. reckless driving) can be proven.
Huh? Why should Uber be so special? What about riders in buses, shuttles, cabs, other private vehicles, etc?

Old 11-27-2015, 08:14 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post

I suppose a sign prominently displayed in the passenger area of the vehicles advising customers that they are on their own, and its their own responsibility if they suffer an accident would be fair.

That would really go against the entire idea of mandatory, no-fault insurance that most of the states have adopted, making it pretty essential that passengers be notified so they know they are taking the risk.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:21 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Huh? Why should Uber be so special? What about riders in buses, shuttles, cabs, other private vehicles, etc?
Same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive