Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 12:50 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times

Advertisements

My cars have always come with cloth mats. I'm certain it was standard. Of course I always upgraded to all weather mats after taking possession of the car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 01:15 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
Hyundais are junk, always have been and always will.
I had one of those junky cars. Drove it for over 150,000 miles or so before I ended up getting rid of it. My car was a 2000 Hyundai Accent. I would have kept it but I had broke the shifter arm inside the transmission. After 13 years of ownership they had changed the design along the way. It was going to cost me $1,200 to fix it and by that time I just wanted something else. When I bought the car brand new for $10,000 and change, Hyundai promised me a car that would last 100,000 miles or 10 years as long as I maintained it. As far as I can tell they delivered.

Would I buy another Hyundai? Currently I don't see anything that they are making that does anything for me. I don't like the styling of the cars. I also prefer 2 doors and the only one that they have is the Genesis Coupe. That big front end grill area does nothing for me.

In 1987 Hyundai sold 263,000 cars, all retail. From there the company declined down to 91,000 cars sold in 1998. In 2000 they changed to the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty and sales jumped up to 244,000 with 28,000 going to rental companies. In 2008 they saw a slight drop in sales down to 401,000 cars from a high of 467,000 in 2007. As of last year they have continued to increase sales and are up to 725,000 cars sold in 2014, with 144,000 sent to rental companies.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:46 PM

422 posts, read 412,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Pretty sure I paid over $200 for floor mats when I bought my new Audi Q5. The details are fuzzy at best though.
getting raped on a car you thought would impress strangers does hurt, huh

Old 09-15-2015, 02:26 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
It's very rare to find a rental with floor mats, even the Mercedes don't have them, though I did have a Mercedes rental that actually had rubber mats, like Weathertech, but it was an especially rainy season. I have sometimes seen floor mats in the trunk of rentals, like new cars.

It's an option likely because it is usually a dealer-installed item, especially as many people tend to buy a rubber mat in addition to, or instead of, the cloth floor mats, depending upon the car. It's not a Hyundai-only phenomenon, though.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-15-2015, 04:43 PM

402 posts, read 369,268 times
Every car I've ever purchased came with carpeted floor mats. (1 VW, 2 Nissans, 2 Jeeps, and a Subaru) I think only the Subaru had it listed as an extra cost item on the invoice, but that was because they were upgraded rubber mats that the dealer had installed. I never really thought about it before the Subaru, but I was annoyed at having to shell out more $$ for something that should be included IMHO, "upgraded" or not. Since I discovered WeatherTech liners I've been putting those in my cars and keeping the original floor mats in a bag in my garage, so they'd be pristine when I sold the car.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:45 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,607,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
Hyundais are junk, always have been and always will.
For rental cars, they are often superior to their competition IMO. Would take an elantra any day over a cruze, corolla, of focus. Would take a sonata any day over a malibu, camry, or fusion.

Anyway, in my experience, most rental cars have floormats, including hyundai's. I rent year round, all over the US (mostly enterprise, although sometimes I shop around if I am not being reimbursed). So surprised to see so many people saying they are rare.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:32 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times
Lexus came with factory rubber and carpet mats. We left the rubber in the car and the carpet ones in trunk. None were included the price IIRC.

I don't think I have ever had a rental with mats, I figured the agency kept them to keep them from being stolen and would put them in when time to sell the car.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:56 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Or is it the rental car company?

Over the weekend we had to drive several hours with four adults and a baby seat in the car, so rather than take my Prius we rented a Hyundai Sonata. It was plenty roomy enough, comfortable for all, very impressive trunk capacity. Overall it was a good experience and we got about 35 mpg, almost all highway, which I thought was pretty good for a car that size.

The one thing I just happened to notice when I was dropping the car off was that it didn't have floor mats. Sure enough, apparently they're optional.

Two things struck me. One, this just seems cheap, period. If you own the car, don't you want to protect the carpet? Even if they're optional I would guess that almost everyone buys them.

Second, if you're a rental company don't you want to protect the carpets? Sure, they look great now with 8k on the odometer, but by the time the company is ready to sell wouldn't they wish they'd had floor mats?

It just seemed weird to me.
Drove a Sonata about a week ago (rental) from Enterprise and no, it didn't have floor mats.

That being said was rather surprise and happy with the car overall. Handling was pretty decent same for mileage. Roomy and comfy but nothing over luxurious inside. Damn electronic "music" for every single thing you do in the car got on my nerves.

Start the car, music plays. Turn car off, music plays. Have a warning light or issue? Every ten or so minutes music plays....

Old 09-15-2015, 11:46 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Drove a Sonata about a week ago (rental) from Enterprise and no, it didn't have floor mats.

That being said was rather surprise and happy with the car overall. Handling was pretty decent same for mileage. Roomy and comfy but nothing over luxurious inside. Damn electronic "music" for every single thing you do in the car got on my nerves.

Start the car, music plays. Turn car off, music plays. Have a warning light or issue? Every ten or so minutes music plays....
Was it a new '15 model?

Did the car happen to have a vibration when in overdrive when accelerating in high gear?

I imagine it was the base SE model (the Limited had leather interior and wood-grain accents). The SE does have an option package which includes, back-up camera, power seat, telematics system, padded door inserts, automatic headlights, touch screen radio. One nice feature on all new Hyundai's is XM satellite radio. It is a costly option on many other cars, or you have to get a very high trim level to get it. On the Honda Accord, you have to get the very expensive EX-L to get it.

BTW - that "music" you are talking about can be turned off by using the menu buttons on the steering wheel. It is what they call welcome music. I found that out after doing a little research on the controls.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:40 AM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Was it a new '15 model?

Did the car happen to have a vibration when in overdrive when accelerating in high gear?

I imagine it was the base SE model (the Limited had leather interior and wood-grain accents). The SE does have an option package which includes, back-up camera, power seat, telematics system, padded door inserts, automatic headlights, touch screen radio. One nice feature on all new Hyundai's is XM satellite radio. It is a costly option on many other cars, or you have to get a very high trim level to get it. On the Honda Accord, you have to get the very expensive EX-L to get it.

BTW - that "music" you are talking about can be turned off by using the menu buttons on the steering wheel. It is what they call welcome music. I found that out after doing a little research on the controls.
Well now I know! Thanks for the tip. If ever saddled with another Sonata know the first thing that will be adjusted. *LOL*

Cannot remember the model but assume it was the base "SE" as no back-up camera or anything else you mentioned was included in the Sonata I drove. Didn't really get into "high gear" much as did mostly city (NYC) and some NJ driving. Not sure if it was a 2015 model but with nearly 20k miles on it so we can say it was well worn in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive