Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2015, 06:02 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,387,247 times

Advertisements

I'll pay for gas, Thank You. My FIL swears by his Prius, brags about MPG and says it has a ton of power.....I drove it on the highway, and pulled out to pass a tractor trailer, I'm telling ya, the darn thing lost a lot of MPH when the wind hit it.....took a lot to get back the momentum and pass.....guess it's something you need to get used to. Like I said, I'll pay to feed the ponies under the hood. As far as the new design, I didn't care for the old....the new looks like it was designed by one of those Japanese Cartoon artist
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 06:48 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,788,309 times
The fact Toyota is still selling well with the awful exterior styling shows that now people are more concerned with function over looks.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:51 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,788,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
I'll pay for gas, Thank You. My FIL swears by his Prius, brags about MPG and says it has a ton of power.....I drove it on the highway, and pulled out to pass a tractor trailer, I'm telling ya, the darn thing lost a lot of MPH when the wind hit it.....took a lot to get back the momentum and pass.....guess it's something you need to get used to. Like I said, I'll pay to feed the ponies under the hood. As far as the new design, I didn't care for the old....the new looks like it was designed by one of those Japanese Cartoon artist
I owned a Prius several years ago and having owning it for one year, I got rid of it. I experienced exactly what you are stating above. Hated passing other cars with it, the wind made it feel very unstable. I will admit that it was a cool car though because it had this neat solar panel roof / sunroof combo that would power some kind of gadet for keeping the car cool in hot weather (very nice in Texas where I live).

I don't miss the car at all.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:52 PM

137 posts, read 125,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I'm sure its an efficient commuter but the exterior styling is hideous. Tesla is definitely ruling the roost when it comes to attractively designed efficient transportation and the second generation Chevrolet Volt is doing a better job than the Prius on the lower end:
Wow, the Chevrolet looks like a Prius COPY.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:03 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,248,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I'm sure its an efficient commuter but the exterior styling is hideous. Tesla is definitely ruling the roost when it comes to attractively designed efficient transportation and the second generation Chevrolet Volt is doing a better job than the Prius on the lower end:

Nice looking... but will it fall apart in 3 year in typical GM fashion?

Old 09-17-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
The fact Toyota is still selling well with the awful exterior styling shows that now people are more concerned with function over looks.
That's my thought. I have an '08 Prius and had to do nothing to it other than change the oil and get new tires. Very functional, no problems, and the back seat has tons of room for my kids. Plus I spend very little in gas.

I figure I'll keep it until it hits 10 - 12 years. And I'll probably go with another Prius due to my 40 mile roundtrip commute to work. I see no point in spending $150 a month on gas

I don't mind the new exterior... only the funky dash bugs me. Apparently they'll never do a normal dash on the Pirus, although the current version is probably the best they've had.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:28 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,003,381 times
I don't mind the interior, but I think the speedo needs to be in front of the driver and not off to the right. As for the exterior, that tail end looks like someone glued some homeless guy's cardboard box to it and then painted it.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:37 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,742,950 times
Pontiac Aztek 2.0

Old 09-17-2015, 02:57 PM

19,144 posts, read 25,364,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I don't mind the interior, but I think the speedo needs to be in front of the driver and not off to the right.
That is one of the ways that Toyota chose to cheap-out with this vehicle's design.
Just like with some of their even-cheaper econoboxes, by placing the instruments and controls in the center, they don't have to produce two different dashboards for the left-hand drive and right-hand drive markets.

Marketing studies indicate that people do NOT like this type of instrument/control design. It is a price-driven compromise, and it simply smacks of cheapness.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
That is one of the ways that Toyota chose to cheap-out with this vehicle's design.
Just like with some of their even-cheaper econoboxes, by placing the instruments and controls in the center, they don't have to produce two different dashboards for the left-hand drive and right-hand drive markets.

Marketing studies indicate that people do NOT like this type of instrument/control design. It is a price-driven compromise, and it simply smacks of cheapness.

On the Prius, that's incorrect. While the speedometer isn't straight in front of the driver, it's not in the middle. It's up higher than normal and off-centered just a bit to the right. It's actually in the perfect place, and the the easiest to see speedometer I've ever used. You barely have to move your eyes down from the road to see it. But you can't use the same Prius dashboard for both right and left-hand drive Prius'.

I think they could keep the same location of the speedometer and create a more appealing dash board. I'm surprise more cars aren't using this same location. When I drive any other car, I have to move my eyes way down and look through the steering wheel to see what my speed is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive