Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 06:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

What time of yr?
Are you stretched for time?

I really like the previous suggestion of 'fly-drive' for many instances. (if decent Airport is close-by)

Currently there are some terrific sales on discount carriers. (Like $25 one-way rates!!! )

I usually fly SWA because of the flexibility (free changes / free bags / quick boarding).
I often rent cars via Hotwire or Priceline. (I have got as low as $5/ day, but often $12 - $16)
A $9.95 daily Weekend rate from Enterprise is great when available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 09:53 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
MikeB:

CHeck to see if they allow for that many state travels.

When I last rented a Enterprise car, I was told we could only go to bordering states without paying a penalty. I had been rear-ended in my vehicle the day before making a trip to a neighboring state.
When I was told I could only go to neighboring states, I said "good because our vacation is in {the next state}". {they did NOT know I was going on vacation}. They give you "unlimited mileage", but restrict you by that order, and I would have had to pay a penalty to go further to other states!

So beware!

Old 09-17-2015, 10:10 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,288 times
I own cars that I like. they are comfortable and reliable. I pay for them to drive them. It doesn't make sense to me to pay more to rent another vehicle that I may or may not like, when I can simply use what I already have.

As a fleet manager I know that the average cost to drive a midsize sedan is approximately $.22 per mile plus depreciation. If the car is paid for, depreciation is no longer a factor. Charleston, SC to Theater District, NYC is ~1500 miles round trip. This means that the cost of driving a mid size sedan (including gas) is a going to cost about $330 total.

By comparison, Kayak.com has round trip flights for $177 (Friday to Monday) with two week notice. I can drive or I can fly with two people for the same money. there is no reason why I would rent a vehicle to add to that cost. Spend the money on something fun instead.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:52 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
By comparison, Kayak.com has round trip flights for $177 (Friday to Monday) with two week notice. I can drive or I can fly with two people for the same money. there is no reason why I would rent a vehicle to add to that cost. Spend the money on something fun instead.
Well, for one thing, you'd have to pay for transport once you get there.
Also, what if the roadtrip/journey is the intent of the fun?

OP: Should I drive my own car or rent?
CD: Fly.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:55 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Over 100k, I would save the miles and use them locally. In other words, rental.

I love driving my car so I do all roadtrips that I can in it. But only up to the point where I may feel it's unreliable. This is not to say the OP's car will fail just because it's over 100k, but it's a higher chance and in the middle of unfamiliar areas is not a good time to try your luck.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:18 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,881 times
OP - Definitely take your own vehicle - you will save a lot of money and will be riding in your vehicle which essentially "is a known quantity" (you are comfortable in it, familiar with it, and know it's reliability).

Old 09-17-2015, 01:20 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Well, for one thing, you'd have to pay for transport once you get there.
Also, what if the roadtrip/journey is the intent of the fun?

OP: Should I drive my own car or rent?
CD: Fly.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Drive the personal car.

The flight thought is just for the idea that they may not want to put miles on their car. Flight is probably just as cheap as renting if mileage is the only obstacle. If there is a desire or need to drive, then definitely drive the personal car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive