Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 12:55 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,671,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Believe it or not... some people do... especially on ripe fruit.
But it's not industry wide. People don't go in with the intend to haggle down prices on fruit at the supermarket. It's usually the exception to the rule
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 01:09 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
And it can be embarrassing for those around... speaking from personal experience.

Growing up around the car business was quite an education and I don't mean how to get over on people... what I mean is that pretty much everything is negotiable... but only if you are willing to negotiate...

The successful commission sales people are experts at this... no matter making a deal on bananas at the market... buying clothes... or buying a home...

Some live and breath it and take great satisfaction they are not leaving a penny on the table.

The key is to know when you have struck the best deal... if not... you just make a fool of yourself and the deal never happens.

I've bought things were the sellers were emphatic they would not dicker, haggle and the price was firm and I bought for less.

Most recent was a backhoe that needed some work... the seller said take it or leave it because they were told not to take a penny less from a friend.

I politely said I would be a buyer at this price, wrote it down and left my business card... as I was leaving, the seller said they were told not to take less... all I could say is maybe the person that said that should buy it... two hours later the seller said come get it.

Happens a lot in Real Estate and even negotiating Bank Savings Rates... often, not all the plans and offers are published... amazing what can be achieved by simply asking... and as long as it is done in a respectful way... no harm, no foul.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:35 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,156,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I don't know about everyone else but I haggle because I want to save money.
exactly
people don't negotiate on a loaf of bread because it isn't worth anyones time and a store isn't going to pay someone to negotiate over it

you can negotiate on many things though- furniture,expensive electronics etc.

if you don't do it you're lighting money on fire.

it's amazing how people will put on a suit and tie and go to work all day for much smaller amounts of money than they're leaving on the table by not negotiating on a huge purpose for an hour or two

Old 09-24-2015, 01:14 PM

A lot of it is cultural...

When I was working in Austria I went with a friend that was buying a new Mercedes... the prices are clearly posted and it is mostly a matter of placing the order.

Having grown up around the US car business... I found the experience very foreign... well it was a foreign country!

Anyway... I decided to speak up and it startled the salesman when I looked at the numbers and asked if he could do better... another brash American... although I did it in a very nice way saying we are close... just need to sharpen up the figures and then handed him my fine point pen...

End result was a much better deal... all my co-workers were surprised at what I did and that it worked!

Now my neighbors growing up were born from China, emigrating in the 1930's? A couple of times I watched them shopping in San Francisco Chinatown and what an experience in negotiations... seems every purchase without exception must be negotiated...

Old 09-24-2015, 01:29 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,497,934 times
I dont even negotiate in person. When buying or leasing a new car, I do my research before going in knowing exactly what I'm going to be paying.

Last year my wife and I needed a second car and decided to lease. Did research and decided on a 2014 Honda Civic EX. Went in and spoke to the first salesman that approached me. Told him that I did my research, I know that my credit is excellent and want the EX model for $0 down/$229 a month. I told him that if he isnt able to honor that price that's fine but I'm not going to spend time haggling with him. Either he honors it or I walk. Sure enough after a few back and forth's with his manager he was able to honor it and I drove it off the lot that evening.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:54 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,592,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I dont even negotiate in person. When buying or leasing a new car, I do my research before going in knowing exactly what I'm going to be paying.

Last year my wife and I needed a second car and decided to lease. Did research and decided on a 2014 Honda Civic EX. Went in and spoke to the first salesman that approached me. Told him that I did my research, I know that my credit is excellent and want the EX model for $0 down/$229 a month. I told him that if he isnt able to honor that price that's fine but I'm not going to spend time haggling with him. Either he honors it or I walk. Sure enough after a few back and forth's with his manager he was able to honor it and I drove it off the lot that evening.
If it's the national advertised price, you probably could've shaved off $30~50/month by getting quotes from internet sales managers at competing dealerships. I helped a female co-worker who wanted to lease a Highlander this way after getting the run-around walking into dealerships and asking for the advertised lease rate. A neighbor just leased a BMW X1 last month after I encouraged him to shop around & not settle for the advertised special... he saved like $80 on his monthly.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:25 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,735,369 times
It's not always a matter of the absolute cheapest price. I also care very much about being to get what I want as quickly as possible and avoid having to shop around. If I can get what I want, I don't care if they make money or not.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:33 AM

It's a very valid argument... sometimes you need a vehicle now rather than wait weeks of months or simply don't have the time.

On the other hand...

A family member wanted a car that was very high in demand in the Bay Area... always over sticker.

He contacted a few Dealers hundreds of miles away and was able to save thousands... I went with him for the pickup and the Dealer was glad to sell it and I mentioned his price made the drive worthwhile... Dealer said he had no choice in that the manufacturer required he order it even though he didn't have the clientele to buy it... Bakersfield CA is very different than the SF Bay Area...

Old 09-25-2015, 05:00 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,789,628 times
I did not do it online but did do all of the price comparing over the phone and had no issue. This was a couple months ago. I knew the car I was going to lease but was trying to get the best lease deal so I called I think 4 different dealers. The dealer I actually leased from gave me a higher quote originally but they matched the price of another dealer when I told them the price. I liked the salesman the best at this place since he was so helpful and returned calls promptly so went with them.

I did this one afternoon and then next morning I picked up the car. They did my credit check over the phone and the paperwork was waiting when I arrived. This dealer actually offered to bring the car to me but it was raining so hard that day and I wanted to be able to inspect the car. If they would of brought it to me I would of never even walked into the dealer.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:14 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,505,427 times
Its been my experience the past 10-15 years, dealers dont negotiate at all anymore, online or in person. The price they have on the car, or online, that is the price. Every offer to buy at a lesser price has been refused. The only way Ive got any discount is in the finance office, getting a better rate or some dollars off the payment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive