Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 03:58 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times

Advertisements

Where are all of the VW fans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 04:56 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
At the stealership trading out........

Old 09-19-2015, 05:51 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
State by state and may even differ in different regions of the state. Where I live they take off my gas cap and test it every two years, cost is about $20. I could just go buy a new gas cap every two years for $10.
Buy a new Ford and you don't even get a gas cap!

Old 09-19-2015, 10:22 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
That's brilliant. I wonder who tipped them off, and how long could they have gotten away with it had they not figured it out.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
This is CARB initiated...

Their objectives
#1 - protect their coveted (useless) jobs... (we could gain more benefit TOMORROW with conservation than we will ever get from multi billion $$ CARB
#2 BAN all diesels (CARB specifically hates diesels)

No biggy for VW, they don't have to sell any Diesels in USA,
would not hurt them one bit, and save a LOT of headache.

This will just be another step backwards for USA (as usual). We don't exactly lead the world in ecology, conservation, energy independence, OR nice cars / available 'fun' / performance / and efficient cars.

Like our GREAT public school system,,, we 'dumb-down' our cars too! Lowest common denominator caps our innovation and progress (as it has since 1980's). COOL,,,

Old 09-20-2015, 01:23 AM

178 posts, read 161,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
This is CARB initiated...

Their objectives
#1 - protect their coveted (useless) jobs... (we could gain more benefit TOMORROW with conservation than we will ever get from multi billion $$ CARB
#2 BAN all diesels (CARB specifically hates diesels)

No biggy for VW, they don't have to sell any Diesels in USA,
would not hurt them one bit, and save a LOT of headache.

This will just be another step backwards for USA (as usual). We don't exactly lead the world in ecology, conservation, energy independence, OR nice cars / available 'fun' / performance / and efficient cars.

Like our GREAT public school system,,, we 'dumb-down' our cars too! Lowest common denominator caps our innovation and progress (as it has since 1980's). COOL,,,
The rest of the world also is turning on diesel. Perhaps for the purely rational reason of city air pollution. Although, in the case of Paris, an additional benefit is giving a jolt to their domestic car manufacturers.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
EZ way to avoid pollution in diesels... don't burn dino fuel.

My few drops of diesel in my last 3 million fleet diesel miles probably hasn't caused any kids to die of 'soot and lung disease' .

I was weaned on the smokestack of a tractor, then grew up on Uranium contaminated Colorado soils (Under a powerline...) so I'm toast. But still do my best to 'non-pollute' (since 1976 when, as an adult... I went to diesel alternatives).

let's see...
3 million miles at 50 mpg vs 3 million miles at 10 mpg (my previous 'gas' (ick / dangerous) vehicle...)

I think we can solve this and still drive diesels.

I don't see diesels declining in Europe, they are available for a rental car I just did, and Europe gets all the GOOD biodiesel (since the US Soybean council doesn't govern bio-d, as they do in USA...). I have a diesel van rented in NZ, and I use a diesel cars in Asia (as I have for 40 yrs).

Countries that utilize technology and science to govern and improve emissions will remain decades ahead of USA, who uses politics.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:53 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Countries that utilize technology and science to govern and improve emissions will remain decades ahead of USA, who uses politics.
Truth.

Furthermore, this speaks to the whole reason VW followed the leads of others (this is nothing new) and wrote code that would bypass emissions controls: the emissions regulations are simply too strict.

DPF, SCR, and EGR are the most horrible things to ever happen to diesel engines, regardless of size or application. In addition to being expensive and failure-prone, they also hinder volumetric efficiency. Would you rather run a 10K in a loose t-shirt, or in a collared dress shirt with the top button buttoned, a tie snugly in place around your neck, and a paper bag in front of your nose and mouth?

Old 09-20-2015, 05:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
While Diesel isn't the best choice for passenger vehicles, this only applies to VW.
I wouldn't bet on that, doing a little research this isn't something new. Here's article from last year regarding emission testing in Europe.

Quote:
High diesel NOx emissions

‘What the real-world testing shows is that Euro 6 cars are no better than previous standards in terms of pollution. London and other cities considering a diesel charge should not exempt any diesel cars, including Euro 6 vehicles,’ said Greg Archer of T&E. ‘City-centre charges and fuel and vehicle taxes should reflect the pollution that cars actually emit on the road.’

Part of the reason for the huge difference between a car’s performance in the real world and in a type approval test is that these tests are obsolete. Carmakers are able to circumvent the rules by programming the test car to recognise when it is being driven on the cycle and produce lower emissions.
Read a few articles on this, it appears that despite the increased standards it has had little affect on the actual air quality in urban environments. They are testing these cars in lab environment and not using real world conditions. Cheating on the test is not the only issue either.

Don't have a link I just briefly read it yesterday. There is another sytem on these cars that has to be purged every so often, this is ideally done when the motor is running the same speed over long distances where it can burn off the emissions. If you are driving the car in urban environment all the time that's where it is going to occur and it simply does not work as well in addition to it being done in urban area.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethGrayson View Post
Perhaps for the purely rational reason of city air pollution.
I'm not sure what you mean here but diesel will never compare to gas for low emissions. The only thing it's going to be lower in is CO2 and that irrelevant as far air quality goes. This lower CO2 emissions is one of the things driving the sale of these vehicles in Europe. They are trading air quality for lower CO2 emissions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive