Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 08:23 PM

165 posts, read 241,337 times

Advertisements

Hi all

I have a 1998 Toyota Camry with ~136k miles on it.

Recently I moved from CT to NH and I need to do a state inspection for my car to get it registered in NH. CT requires only emissions test twice a year, where as NH requires detailed annual inspection. So, I took my car to a local mechanic and did a courtesy check up to see what needs to be fixed in order to pass the state inspections.

The following items were suggested along with the quote:

1) Driver side window inoperable - ~$200 just for diagnosis. Cost of repair would depend upon the fault.
2) Exhaust leak at mid pipe - ~$200 for labor + additional cost for parts
3) Fixing both sway links (not sure what they exactly meant, I have poor knowledge in cars) - ~$200

Some more minor fixes were also suggested and the total expected cost was around $700-$900 (or may be even higher depending upon the repair cost for the window and other minor things they find during actual inspection).

Just an year back I changed my timing belt, oil pump and tuned spark plugs for around $1300.

I am totally clueless on how to proceed. Is it worth fixing all these stuffs and get the sticker? I do have plans to buy a new car and have this as a second car, but not in near future. Should I advance my plans and sell (or trade in) this car? I am bit reluctant to spend a big amount on this car again. I am kinda okay to fix the mechanical stuffs, but spending ~$400 (expecting worst case) for the window makes me really uncomfortable. Please suggest me how to proceed on this.

And the car is running great and I haven't needed anything after the timing belt fix last year. I drive around ~10 miles a day and once in a month I take this for a ~100 mile trip to my office in another state. It serves my purpose well and if not for this state inspection, I would prefer to keep this car for couple of more years definitely.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 10:05 PM

2,139 posts, read 3,589,677 times
I have been a repair shop owner specializing in Toyota and Honda for 35 years and I am likewise totally clueless as to how you should proceed because a great deal of information is lacking:

Is this a 4 or 6 cyl. Camry?

I see you were in Connecticut and now in New Hampshire. Does the car have extensive road salt damage? If so that makes almost any repair attempted harder than it would otherwise be and prone to complications.

What items are preventing inspection? I would guess only the exhaust leak.

That should NOT cost $200 in labor alone.

FWIW the cost to diagnose the window seems quite exorbitant to me. We charge one hour labor to go in the door, find out why the power window does not work and repair as needed. So one hour ($94) + usually a regulator/motor assembly for typically $179. And it's decently profitable for us at that price -- I wouldn't mind having somebody doing them all day long.

Don in Austin

Old 09-20-2015, 05:53 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curidpostn View Post
3) Fixing both sway links (not sure what they exactly meant, I have poor knowledge in cars) - ~$200
Just to give you an idea of what kind of money you can save if you could do this yourself they might be like $20 and installed in 15 minutes. It's just four bolts and they are easily accessible. Note he shows you how to check them to see if they actually need to be replaced, frankly becsue of the ease at which these are changed I'd be wary they aren't just trying to pad the bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eELC_2wN1Jo

Old 09-20-2015, 06:30 AM

It's a 4 Cylinder one.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:52 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,207,011 times
The exhaust leak can poison you with carbon monoxide...I would at least get that fixed.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:09 AM

671 posts, read 900,617 times
I would get an inspection first, then fix what they say you need to fix.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutout View Post
I would get an inspection first, then fix what they say you need to fix.
If I subject to actual inspection, the vehicle will get in to DMV records and I will be left with no choice other than fixing it. I mean I cannot think of other options like selling it, trading in etc unless I get the sticker. I have CT registration till March and the car can be sold as is in CT if needed.

Doing mock inspection beforehand looks like a better option to me.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
The exhaust leak can poison you with carbon monoxide...I would at least get that fixed.
I am absolutely okay to fix the exhaust leak, but it's the window that is bothering me. I am reluctant to put money on something that doesn't help car's functioning in any way just to get the sticker.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:08 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,207,011 times
Quote:
I am absolutely okay to fix the exhaust leak, but it's the window that is bothering me. I am reluctant to put money on something that doesn't help car's functioning in any way just to get the sticker.
Since you could care less....it could be the perfect DIY job. Do some Googling....look at some YouTube videos. Then dive in and save some bucks.

Check out Autozone's price on a regulator and a motor.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:44 AM

671 posts, read 900,617 times
Quote:
If I subject to actual inspection, the vehicle will get in to DMV records and I will be left with no choice other than fixing it. I mean I cannot think of other options like selling it, trading in etc unless I get the sticker. I have CT registration till March and the car can be sold as is in CT if needed.

Doing mock inspection beforehand looks like a better option to me.
What?

You would rather do a mock inspection, fix what they say is wrong, then do a real inspection, where they might point out something the mock inspection missed, then you have to fix even more, then get it re-inspected... than do a real inspection, fix what they say is wrong, then get it re-inspected? Why add the possible extra 2 steps. Why fix things you may not need fixed.

Either way you need the inspection. The mock inspection may make you fix things you do not need to fix. The real inspection will tell you exactly what you need to fix...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive