Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 07:09 AM

3,373 posts, read 9,156,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Good grief, the advice doesn't change based on the car. The car doesn't matter, in the least, it adds nothing to the discussion but has the potential to start a bicker fest over the brand, model, year, etc.... Then again, some people on C-D can find Anything to btch and complain about apparently.
No it really does. The rack base will be different if the car has rain gutters, a factory rack rail, or none of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 07:11 AM

3,373 posts, read 9,156,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Good grief, the advice doesn't change based on the car. The car doesn't matter, in the least, it adds nothing to the discussion but has the potential to start a bicker fest over the brand, model, year, etc.... Then again, some people on C-D can find Anything to btch and complain about apparently.
Oh and the OP's post is contrary to the sticky at the top of the forum.....but hey nobody reads that

Before you ask a repair question PLEASE read!!

Old 09-25-2015, 07:55 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,705,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a rack on the top of my car. I need it to be sufficient for both several pairs of skis/snowboards as well as kayaks.

My car is a standard popular Japanese mid-size sedan.

Anybody have any suggestions for the cheapest/most efficient way to get this done and how much it should cost?
If your car is a Subaru, I found the best one to be the one you can get from the dealership (OEM)...and while not the cheapest....it was much less than many aftermarket ones.

I think the OEM one I had on my Subaru was actually made by Yakima.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:31 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,282,826 times
The stuff you put on a roof rack is worth much more than a small savings between a cheap and a good rack. It is the feet that decide what vehicle it fits and for most good racks there are changable. I still have my first Thule rack from 1978 but I do not use it anymore only because our two current vehicles came with roof racks, OEM versions of Thule racks. I would recommend looking at good racks an as others have suggested looking first for a used one but I would spend the money on a good new one rather than buy a cheaply made one for a really good price.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:25 PM

12,099 posts, read 16,986,115 times
Sorry. 2012 Honda Accord. Nothing on the roof now.

Yes, I need the crossbars. I'll look at new ones for my model car. How much should it cost for a mechanic to put it on?

Last edited by jobaba; 09-25-2015 at 12:45 PM..

Old 09-26-2015, 04:07 PM

9,784 posts, read 7,041,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Sorry. 2012 Honda Accord. Nothing on the roof now.

Yes, I need the crossbars. I'll look at new ones for my model car. How much should it cost for a mechanic to put it on?
Per yakima.com, a bases, clips, and crossbars for your car will cost $370 and hold about 100 lbs. Their FatCat 4 will carry 4 pairs of skis or 2 snowboards and will add $219. Add lock cores for about $60. If you prefer a roof box, their SkyBox 12 will add $439 and will carry plenty of gear.

As for paying a mechanic, you should be able to install and remove the rack yourself if you are in the least handy.

As noted, become an REI member for $20 lifetime and get a 10% dividend check back every year.

Now you can try to find crossbars, racks, and boxes on craigslist and save a few dollars but get the bases and clips at the store.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:31 AM

128 posts, read 64,747 times
Those include detachable and everlasting mount designs, and somehave rails, restoration-factors or take a clamp mount device.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:06 AM

1,002 posts, read 900,524 times
I can't see much alternative for transporting skis, but be aware that having a rack in place will negatively affect your fuel economy on the highway every day that you drive it, whether or not you have anything on it. Putting something on the roof is just about the worst thing you can do to vehicle aerodynamics.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:38 AM

24,509 posts, read 17,983,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
I can't see much alternative for transporting skis, but be aware that having a rack in place will negatively affect your fuel economy on the highway every day that you drive it, whether or not you have anything on it. Putting something on the roof is just about the worst thing you can do to vehicle aerodynamics.
Skis should be transported inside the car. Road salt is really bad for ski bindings. If you must put them on the roof, get a box. I have an Inno Low Rider that is really low profile.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:55 AM

9,611 posts, read 21,147,045 times
I bought a pair at a garage sale for a dollar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive