Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 12:30 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Having the same price for the same product across the board at all sales points isn't collusion. Where do you come up with these ludicrous ideas?
LOL, he must be a car salesman or married to one

Better get on the phone and investigate Apple
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 12:32 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,757,421 times
Quote:
Someone who pays full price is a sucker...

BAM! See Tourian, this guy gets it! If you were buying a car with no salespeople involved, you would just pay list price, because that would be the price.
You are funny.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:47 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,236,953 times
I used to sell new & used vehicles at a Toyota dealership years ago. Overall it was decent money, but never consistent from month to month. I had months where I'd clear nearly $10K and once I had a month where I only made $500.

It was fun & I did well overall because I was knowledgeable. I walk into some dealerships & the sales people are clueless about the specs of the vehicles. I remember I got a sale from a couple who came from another Toyota dealership. They went into this other dealership and drove a 4 Runner, they asked the sales person about what type of engine the vehicle had & they replied "I dunno some sort of 4 cylinder" when the vehicle they tested actually had a 4.0L V-6 lol. They asked me a lot of questions about the vehicle which I answered honestly & correctly & I got the sale.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:50 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,761,925 times
Quote:
Having the same price for the same product across the board at all sales points isn't collusion. Where do you come up with these ludicrous ideas?

If all of the dealers in a region got together and decided what to sell a particular car for, that is collusion.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:51 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,973,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
It was fun & I did well overall because I was knowledgeable. I walk into some dealerships & the sales people are clueless about the specs of the vehicles. I remember I got a sale from a couple who came from another Toyota dealership. They went into this other dealership and drove a 4 Runner, they asked the sales person about what type of engine the vehicle had & they replied "I dunno some sort of 4 cylinder" when the vehicle they tested actually had a 4.0L V-6 lol. They asked me a lot of questions about the vehicle which I answered honestly & correctly & I got the sale.
I've always wondered about this after running into more than a few salespeople who had little no idea what it was they were selling besides cupholders. What kind of formal training, if any, do they receive?

Old 09-29-2015, 12:58 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,086,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
If all of the dealers in a region got together and decided what to sell a particular car for, that is collusion.
No.

What I'm saying is, let the MANUFACTURER set the price. Dealers would not be involved in new car sales, they wouldn't have the ability to set prices on anything. Customers would only pick up the car at a dealership, and take it there for service. Every customer in every state would be quoted the same price for the same car with the same options selected, etc, whether you walked in to a dealership or built the car online.

That sales model could be done, today. It is already done for other products.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:09 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,757,421 times
Quote:
What I'm saying is, let the MANUFACTURER set the price.
Sigh. They did. It is called the MSRP. If it makes you feel better, drop the "S".

Old 09-29-2015, 01:13 PM

33 posts, read 23,458 times
I place car sales persons just a little below whale poop.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:13 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,236,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I've always wondered about this after running into more than a few salespeople who had little no idea what it was they were selling besides cupholders. What kind of formal training, if any, do they receive?
Really, very little lol.

I had a leg up on everyone because I was a car nut/gear head.

They would have us study the manufacturer's info guides they released to the dealerships, but I don't think some people even cracked them open. I would read them several times from cover to cover. Some sales people thought all you really needed was good "hustle", "game" or whatever, but customers get turned off quickly if you don't know your stuff.

One of the most cringe worthy statements I ever heard was a salesman talking to someone who wanted a 4WD Highlander. We did not have a 4WD model in stock, but had a few FWD. This salesman tried to tell a customer FWD was just about as good as 4WD in snow.

Needless to say they didn't buy from him.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:21 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,752,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
I worked at Best Buy and saw what the products actually cost Best Buy - enjoy this delusion.
I'm not talking about what the store system says the markup is on a product. I'm talking about the profit they make on average, after costs are taken into account. You don't teeter on the edge of bankruptcy and undergo constant CEO changes barely staying open for years on end making a nice profit margin overall.

And I'll happily let a dealer make a decent profit. I want them to stay open and be there when I need them. Ill happily discuss it in an open book process, just like I have to do with much of the work I do, but only if it's truly open.

And basically consign everything Mckinneyownr has said in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive