Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2015, 11:59 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Why do some car dealers act like psycho ex girlfriends? I called this lady to get some info on a car I was interested in. She wasn't very forthcoming, kept baiting me to come in, so I passed on her. Now, she emails and calls me 5x a day. Is there anyplace I can buy a car where I don't have to deal with lunatics? I don't have time to chat all day and play games.
No. You can't. When it is time to buy a car, it is time to spend 30-40 hours learning or relearning their business, putting on the war paint, and getting ready for the battle.

Or, just give them all your money. Pick one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 12:03 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Don't let them four square you...remove all extras they try to offer...focus on price not payment, Bring your own financing in...STAY AWAY FROM THE DEALERS FINANCE DEPARTMENT...that is where they ********* and get back all the discounts you think you're getting.
A bank could offer 3.9% and the dealer could offer 3.9%. The dealer gets a kick back from the bank. What does that mean? It means the bank could have offered you less but no one complains about this.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:04 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
A bank could offer 3.9% and the dealer could offer 3.9%. The dealer gets a kick back from the bank. What does that mean? It means the bank could have offered you less but no one complains about this.
Last car we purchased the dealer was beating the banks by 1 percent. We even called a few banks around and the dealer was still better. Kind of wild.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:05 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Or, you know, negotiate the new car price and the trade-in price separately and enjoy the benefits of not having to go through the pain in the butt of selling a car yourself.

This isn't rocket science, and the only way a dealer can "trick" you or "swindle" you is if you let them.
Yeah, right. Go in and try to separate the two. See how that works out for you. If it happens, it will be over your supine body, writhing and screaming and pleading for your life.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:05 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
The dealers will not quickly change.

The real key is to walk in the door knowing your stuff. Know what the fair price for the car is your buying. If your trading, know what the real value of your trade is. Be aware of all manufacturer rebates and programs. Know your credit score and what kind of rates and terms you qualify for. If you think an add on is something you really would like, know that before going in and only buy THAT add on.

If you know what everything is really worth, the transaction should go smooth and fast. If it is not, then walk out.

There is always another dealer, and another car.

PS, there is NO need to try and force a dealer to negotiate the new car, and trade in separately for the deal. If you know the new car fair price is X, Trade Y, then you know you should be paying Z. Who cares how they write it to arrive at Z.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Last car we purchased the dealer was beating the banks by 1 percent. We even called a few banks around and the dealer was still better. Kind of wild.
It's common for a manufacturer to offer a low rate that the banks can't touch to get sales. My VW came with .09%. A bank can't touch that.

Some times there is a choice.......low rate or rebate. Some times not. Sometimes the low rate is the incentive and you are costing yourself money by going elsewhere for financing.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:09 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,078 times
Quote:
The dealers pocket the difference and add in all kinds of "fees" to pad their profit....the managers always would laugh when letting a low price contract because they'd get it back in finance! That's also why dealers use the foursquare to get you to focus on the payments instead. they want you to not notice all of their shenanigans.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:12 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's common for a manufacturer to offer a low rate that the banks can't touch to get sales. My VW came with .09%. A bank can't touch that.

Some times there is a choice.......low rate or rebate. Some times not. Sometimes the low rate is the incentive and you are costing yourself money by going elsewhere for financing.
I guess the dealer I went to didn't follow that rule. They said "Due to your excellent credit, we were able to knock down financing from 7.9% to 6.9%" Our eyes rolled. We had our won financing at 3% (used car)

Old 09-30-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
The dealers pocket the difference and add in all kinds of "fees" to pad their profit....the managers always would laugh when letting a low price contract because they'd get it back in finance! That's also why dealers use the foursquare to get you to focus on the payments instead. they want you to not notice all of their shenanigans.
3.9% is 3.9% no matter where you get it. Yes the dealer pockets the money the bank gives them for writing the paperwork but that costs you nothing.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:19 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
So where are you going to take if for warranty service?

Vehicles today are so complicated that special training and, more importantly something most consumers don't ever think about, special tools that dealerships must provide, and pay for, to keep their franchises. Your local Pep Boy or Canadian Tire will not invest in those.

Tesla works right now because of low volumes. Think what their service centers would be like if there were millions of them on the road and sold EACH year. Would you put up with the waits and delays?

A distributed network is required. That is what dealerships provide.
I call BS.

The service centers would simply grow proportionally with enough technicians to handle the volume of vehicles.

Sales people would still be unnecessary.

Nice try, thanks for playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive