Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 06:38 PM

10 posts, read 12,712 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a car to buy and it is a 1991 Mercedes-Benz 190. 2.6l v6 RWD. The owner says that the car runs for small distances, (less than a mile) and it will turn off on the road. He also says when he takes it to the store and then tries to start it up again, the car won't start and that it's flooded. He says it takes 15 mins for it to start, and then its good for the ride home (less than a mile). He says he thinks it is a module that is wrong with it. I am not 100% sure what it could be, and need some help to make sure i should buy it and to see how much it would cost to fix it. Thanks.
VIN DECODED: Vehicle Identification Number VIN wdbda29d3mf777709
EDIT: The owner is selling the car for 800 USD. I have heard the engine run and there is no knocking, or clunking. Sounds good idle, and raising RPM's. If there is a small part that could be the problem, I am in an auto-motive class and can fix it in the class so I don't have to pay a dealer or a shop to fix it. Thanks again.

Last edited by vexumy; 10-20-2015 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 06:47 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexumy View Post
I am looking at a car to buy and it is a 1991 Mercedes-Benz 190. 2.6l v6 RWD. The owner says that the car runs for small distances, (less than a mile) and it will turn off on the road. He also says when he takes it to the store and then tries to start it up again, the car won't start and that it's flooded. He says it takes 15 mins for it to start, and then its good for the ride home (less than a mile). He says he thinks it is a module that is wrong with it. I am not 100% sure what it could be, and need some help to make sure i should buy it and to see how much it would cost to fix it. Thanks.
VIN DECODED: Vehicle Identification Number VIN wdbda29d3mf777709
Flooded?
Do cars with fuel injected engines "flood"? Maybe someone else knows; I don't. But I wouldn't think so.

My approach would be to buy the car only if I hear the engine run, and then only if the engine runs well.
I'm betting, of course, that the fix will not be all that expensive. But I gotta hear it RUN!

I have missed out on good deals because I jacked around and figured out exactly what the problem was, only to have the owner fix it and raise the price. Better, I think to use your eyes, ears, and intuition and get the car cheaply. Very cheap.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:51 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
I would pass on this car.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:02 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Yes, fuel injected vehicles flood. Injector solenoid gets stuck. Or, seals leak. Injection system module may go wrong keeping them open.
Pass on it, OP.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:04 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I would pass on this car.
AGREE . . . not only pass but RUN LIKE THE WIND.

Something so minor / insignificant could easily become a very expensive nightmare.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:06 PM

I have heard it start, and it sounds good. No clunking or knocking of any kind. We only started it once to make sure it runs and revved it to make sure there are no other issues.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:25 PM

But don't you think if it was a cheap fix, he would have done it himself?

Being in an automotive class, I'm guessing you're fairly young, and this might be your first car? Don't get too excited about what seems like a good deal, man. There's tons of stuff out there, and you may not have the money to dump into it. If you REALLY want it, ask the seller to take it to a mechanic of YOUR choice for a diagnostic, at HIS cost. If he refuses, walk away from it. If he agrees, go with him, and bring your old man. If you're cool with whatever the diagnosis turns up, and the costs associated with it, then it's your choice.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
But don't you think if it was a cheap fix, he would have done it himself?

Being in an automotive class, I'm guessing you're fairly young, and this might be your first car? Don't get too excited about what seems like a good deal, man. There's tons of stuff out there, and you may not have the money to dump into it. If you REALLY want it, ask the seller to take it to a mechanic of YOUR choice for a diagnostic, at HIS cost. If he refuses, walk away from it. If he agrees, go with him, and bring your old man. If you're cool with whatever the diagnosis turns up, and the costs associated with it, then it's your choice.
The man is a 70 year old man who is in a retirement home and has suffered from a stroke. He can barely talk, hear, or see. That's why he does not want to repair it.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexumy View Post
The man is a 70 year old man who is in a retirement home and has suffered from a stroke. He can barely talk, hear, or see. That's why he does not want to repair it.

Hmm. Well, I guess the gamble is yours, but I would still walk away from it.

You know, I'm wondering if this might be a crank positioning sensor issue.

Either way, good luck!

Old 10-21-2015, 12:59 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,933,532 times
Buy it, take it to school and fix it, it might be an easy fix, it might be a hard and expensive fix, you will never know until you fix it, and in the end you will learn something. Ignore the sheeple naysayers, most cannot diagnose problems on their own cars, do you want to be like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive