Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 11:45 PM

1 posts, read 952 times

Advertisements

So I live in Kentucky and am new to this.
Recently I have decided to buy a used car from a private owner (not a dealership).
unfortunately, i need the car as soon as possible and the seller cannot meet me at the Courthouse to get the titles switched over.
I then was told something about having the title notarized.
I understand that Both the seller and buyer must be present when having a car notarized, but if it is done this way does the seller need to be present at the courthouse when i am putting it on record in my name?

He also lives in Ohio while I live in kentucky.
does that make any difference? is it okay to have it notarized in ohio if it works this way, and bring it back to kentucky and have it put on record at the courthouse without him being there since it was notarized?
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 06:00 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,577 times
Check with your State to see if this works.

I recently purchased an out-of-state used vehicle.
They got the seller portion of the title notarized and included a copy of their drivers license and attached.
I took those to the notary in my state and that was adequate documentation to complete the transfer.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:23 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Title and registration procedures are very state specific.
Some state do not require that a title be notarized for transfer, some do. Some only require the sellers signature to be notarized. Some will notarize an "open title" (the seller has his signature notarized without having the buyer's name and address on the title), some won't.
I could tell you how it is done in Montana, California, and Nevada, but that won't do you a bit of good. I have no idea of the Ohio or Kentucky requirements.
You will have to ask the proper authorities in those states for accurate information.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:02 PM

114 posts, read 266,274 times
In addition, Kentucky is known as a "title-holding state." In other words, the owner of the vehicle has the title, even if there is a lien on the vehicle.

Inspect the front of the title. If there is a lien indicated, make sure it is signed off, or make sure that the original owner gives you a lien release letter.

Ditto to what Redraven said. Check with your local jurisdiction. Most DMV's near state lines are quite familiar with out of state title transfers.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:51 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
50 states, 51 sets of rules and they change at the whim of bureaucrats and politicians.

Phone the DMV. Check the numbers on the title against the numbers on the car before you hand over the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive