Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 06:04 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,592,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
My husband wanted some type of upgraded brakes for his car. He bought them online because just like most everything else he found it at a better price w/no tax. It doesn't make us cheap it makes us smart. Problem was he almost gave up finding a mechanic to install them. He even found mechanics that said they would do it, he left the car then 5 hours later they would call and say they changed their mind- that happened twice. Just charge for labor and do a good job, why is that so hard?
Because your husband IS cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Did rotor/pad replacement on Toyota Avalon. Went all WearEver brand from Advanced Auto. Never really felt right. Squeaked from the beginning. One bad experience and I'm done with them.

From that point have ordered Akebono,
Akebno is fair, but their paper thin anti-squeal shims sometimes wrinkle up -- at least for Asian applications. We don't use Akebono brake pads any more. There are better sources for less.

Quote:
Pro Stop brands from Rock Auto and so far so good. Did rotors/pads for Toyota Tundra truck a few weeks ago. Pro Stop set from Rock Auto. So far so good.

Might have been a one time occurrence but that's all it takes really.

I will buy air filters and cheaper items from Advance with $10 of $30 codes. It comes out cheaper when you include shipping that Rock Auto charges but for a bigger selection of brake parts and virtually anything else Rock Auto can't be beat.

Another time I was changing out rotors for my Subaru Legacy. Purchased replacement ones from Auto Zone. Their system was wrong and the rotors they gave me didn't match up. Went back a second time and still didn't match up.
Good example why I don't want your car taking up my valuable lift space while you do this! In other words why "We fix the car, we get the parts!"

Quote:
Finally went over to Checker (O'Reilly now) and they were able to finally find me the right part.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:18 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,909,762 times
I find it difficult to find any sympathy for someone who would purchase their own parts and then ask a tech to do the installation. I also don't have much respect for any shop who would agree do do such a thing, they must be either not a very successful business or aren't too talented, or both. They would be what is known in the trade as back yarders..!
No reputable shop would do such a thing because they can't stand behind the job if they install customer parts, and then they get bad mouthed because the job didn't turn out well. Only a foolish shop owner would sacrifice his reputation by getting involved in such a scheme. It's a no win situation, and you are a prime example of what can go wrong doing it that way.
Having been in the business for my entire career, when we would get customers who would ask us to do the work if they brought the parts in, we would ask them if they take their own bacon and eggs to a restaurant..!
If you want to save money, save it somewhere that you and your families life isn't at stake.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:42 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Because your husband IS cheap.

No he is smart you just hate customers that have brains.

Why is it that mechanics have such great reputations? Oh that's right they don't.

Most of the time they overcharge, require multiple trips to diagnose and/or fix problems and always seem to wind up on t.v. for being crooks.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:22 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
I find it difficult to find any sympathy for someone who would purchase their own parts and then ask a tech to do the installation. I also don't have much respect for any shop who would agree do do such a thing, they must be either not a very successful business or aren't too talented, or both. They would be what is known in the trade as back yarders..!
No reputable shop would do such a thing because they can't stand behind the job if they install customer parts, and then they get bad mouthed because the job didn't turn out well. Only a foolish shop owner would sacrifice his reputation by getting involved in such a scheme. It's a no win situation, and you are a prime example of what can go wrong doing it that way.
Having been in the business for my entire career, when we would get customers who would ask us to do the work if they brought the parts in, we would ask them if they take their own bacon and eggs to a restaurant..!
If you want to save money, save it somewhere that you and your families life isn't at stake.
I got to disagree. A shop we went to gave us a huge estimatte for a wheel bearing repair. We could not afford it. In trying to find ways to make it more affordable, they suggested I order the parts myself. They were OEM parts and they cost much, much less than their quote. We did it and they happily installed them. they did a good job too. Couldn't ne happier.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:29 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
The only things I pay for others to do are things that require a machine that checks smog ,that's it .
I do all my own mechanic work even if I have to learn something in the process.
If there is a pulsation in the brakes on new rotors I might suspect there was some debris between the hub and rotor on installation. just my opinion.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:44 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
No he is smart you just hate customers that have brains.
If your husband is so smart, why didn't he know how to put his own brakes on then?

Old 10-01-2015, 10:00 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Akebno is fair, but their paper thin anti-squeal shims sometimes wrinkle up -- at least for Asian applications. We don't use Akebono brake pads any more. There are better sources for less.

Good example why I don't want your car taking up my valuable lift space while you do this! In other words why "We fix the car, we get the parts!"
My car would never be on your lift. I do my own brakes. If I buy the part I'm installing it myself

Old 10-01-2015, 11:10 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
You paid them to change the rotters, etc. They did what you paid them to do.

They notified you when you came in to pick up your car, they were worried you supplied they with bad parts, which could only been realized after the work was completed and tested. They could not have known in advance.

You paid them for what you asked them to do.

If they had supplied the parts, then they would have gotten the new parts and they would have paid for the extra work involved, and you would not have to pay for additional work, and parts for your car.

Don't blame the garage, as you caused the problem by trying to go cheap and bought the defective parts, not them.

You got what you paid for, so quit complaining.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
My car would never be on your lift. I do my own brakes. If I buy the part I'm installing it myself
Sounds like a plan to me!

Don in Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive