Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 01:55 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
They should come right off he just had them replaced by that mechanic right?
Talking about the original rotors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 01:58 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Talking about the original rotors
He had them off these are suspose to be new on the car even if the mechanic used the original he had to take off and turn one turn to get the shinny look to them.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:02 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
He had them off these are suspise to be new on the car even if the mechanic used the original he had to take off and turn on time to get the shinny look to them.
I was responding to someone telling OP to replace rotors and pads her/himself. I'm just saying pads maybe but for a first time I wouldn't advocate trying to replace the rotors also as they are probably going in over their heads.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:06 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,724,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If someone told you to bring your own bacon & eggs to a diner and request they cook them for you would you do it?
yea, i've heard this before but with steak. stupid question.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:07 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,724,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
I would be suspicious that they botched the job intentionally to teach you a lesson for not using their parts. There could be rust on the hub that should have been cleaned off before installing the new rotors.
i wouldn't be shocked. could be rust or a screw, etc. where the rotor isn't sitting flush.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I was responding to someone telling OP to replace rotors and pads her/himself. I'm just saying pads maybe but for a first time I wouldn't advocate trying to replace the rotors also as they are probably going in over their heads.
Yep and if the rotor is below a certain thickness by law anyone who turns them is not allowed to return them to you have to buy new.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:24 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Before you blame the shop..... make sure you know the real culprit behind the issue. Could it be the shop trying to pull a fast one? Absolutely. Could it also be that they weren't installed correctly? Yep. Could it be that the parts had issues that the shop didn't notice? Yes, yes it could.

You cannot assume that the shop will do anything more than you told them to when you brought your own parts. If you said "Replace my pads and rotors" that is what you ended up with. If you had said "Replace my pads, rotors, and check my brake system to make sure everything works properly" that's what would have happened (and they probably would have tacked on a diagnostic fee for an hour or so of time for inspection and driving.

A lot of folks told you to go buy your own parts and take them somewhere to have them installed. I don't usually advocate this simply because you have no recourse with a shop when something goes wrong. You hired them to swap parts. Not a full on brake job or brake system diagnosis.

There are really 2 lessons to be learned here. 1.) If you are going to take parts to a shop, you need to be able to confirm the parts are good, and that you KNOW what the problem is (or that if it isn't you are willing to eat the cost of something you didn't need). 2.) If you aren't capable of diagnosing a problem yourself, go ahead and take it to a reputable shop and pony up for the work.

A lot of shops in my area will not allow you to bring your own parts exactly because of what just happened to you. You're going to assume it was shop error and expect them to warranty their labor. Then if it's a bad part and not an installation error, you have to pay them for taking it back off and they have to tie up a shop bay waiting on you to go back to the part store and get the part warrantied and exchanged before they can install the new part again. You're going to argue (you being the customer, not you specifically) that they're trying to avoid warrantying their labor and an argument ensues.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
i wouldn't be shocked. could be rust or a screw, etc. where the rotor isn't sitting flush.
There are no screws were the rotor sets its the front hub bad rear axle.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:25 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
I would take the car to another mechanic. Don't take the car if it's not driving right. You could have a serious accident. Is it worth saving a few bucks on a discount mechanic?

Old 09-30-2015, 02:28 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
I would highly recommend doing some research on how to fix these types of issues yourself and avoid a mechanic. A cheap set of hand tools will get you a long way. I developed a coolant leak on my 08 F250 last week. I had two shops quote me over $1,200 to replace the radiator with the same one I bought. I bought the radiator for $650 and spent 6 hours Friday removing basically the front end of my truck and swapping it out. I have the same part warranty that I would get with the shop, but I know how it was installed, and if it fails I'm out my time, but not any more money. Plus I swapped it faster than a shop would have got it in and back out to me. I lost use of it for 6 hours instead of a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive