Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 04:36 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

Growing up in Oakland we had some really good independent Auto Parts stores... they also offered full machine shop services...

Not a single one around anymore... at least the ones I would patronize... then the local new car Dealers are gone too... speaking of Chevrolet, Ford, Lincoln, Volvo, Triumph all within four blocks and 3 really good auto parts stores within 6 blocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 04:38 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,701 times
Well, the thing is, that most people forget, especially with box chain places, they are hiring clerks, not experts. Clerks work for minimum wage. Experts can't and won't work for minimum wage.

Most people can't or won't pay the price necessary to hire experts. So we have clerks and computers. Is it the best way? Not even close. But it works good enough to do enough business.

Price is king the majority of the time.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:39 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
yea anyone that goes in to buy car parts needs to know:year make model engine size. If you don't know any of those you don't belong at the autoparts store.
Lots of us still build cars or have cars that are too old for the parts book...

My daily driver is my fully outfitted 1985 Chevrolet Service Van and there is a lot simply no longer in the books...

I have many much older cars... and telling someone I need wiper inserts for a 57 Ford means nothing... I need to know the length and type...

Old 10-06-2015, 05:25 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
Well, the thing is, that most people forget, especially with box chain places, they are hiring clerks, not experts. Clerks work for minimum wage. Experts can't and won't work for minimum wage.

Most people can't or won't pay the price necessary to hire experts. So we have clerks and computers. Is it the best way? Not even close. But it works good enough to do enough business.

Price is king the majority of the time.
i dont mind them hiring clerks, as long as they provide good customer service, that is the big key here. dont tell me you need to check my battery when i am asking for an alternator. also, if you have a problem with your memory, WRITE STUFF DOWN, that way you dont have to constantly be asking me the very same questions all the time. if i want a load of brake parts for a 76 granada, and every time you ask what i want the parts for, i am not going to suddenly start asking for parts from an 85 corvette.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:42 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Glad I live where I do where this is concerned, I live near a small family owned auto parts store with very knowledgeable people. The largest automotive warehouse on the east coast is about 5 minutes away. If I need something immediately they can just give me slip and I can go pick it up at the warehouse.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:39 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,937 times
People working minimum wage retail and not knowing their @sses from their elbows? Shocking.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:18 AM

806 posts, read 958,730 times
Went to Autozone to have a code read and it took an hour. The clerk didn't know how to work the code scanner and didn't know where to plug it in.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:50 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Exported RHD Cherokees were re-imported into the U.S. as postal vehicles:

2000 Cherokee RHD Postal Jeep-$800 - NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association

The RHD radiators have everything reversed (Coolant in/coolant out and trans-cooler lines), and as such are rare birds hence the high price. Furthermore, they were used by Rural Mail Carriers, who are essentially contractor workers that use their own vehicles, so we as taxpayers were not footing the bill. Life is less of an outrage when you know the facts.
Interesting. But I'm still of the opinion that it shouldn't cost 3x more because of that.

As far as taxpayers not footing the bill, I find it hard to believe that a rural carrier would have to foot the bill for these repairs...but I have no info on that. However, I live in an area where rural carriers are common, and there is one who drives a Cherokee near me...now I'm going to have to flag him down and ask him just to satisfy my curiosity .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

For the most part I rarely hear anyone at a parts store get selective with brands. Most people walk in, say "I need XYZ" and the parts guy gives them one. I am VERY selective on brands. I know for the most part, RA tends to have the largest selection of brands for the cars I own, and when it comes to Ford, they even stock motorcraft parts...which I have a hard time finding at local box stores. (I think NAPA might have MC parts).
I'm selective for certain parts, particularly brakes and suspension, I don't want to 'cheap out' when failure could kill me.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:04 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I'm a staunch supporter of RockAuto.com

Their inventory and prices really can't be beat. But it can get a bit frustrating ordering multiple parts and having them come from different warehouses thus increasing the shipping, sometimes substantially. Then you have to go back and try to pick inventory from the same warehouse.

Not sure if they have the option but it would certainly help if they identified the warehouse location while you're selecting the part instead of this whole song and dance.

That's my issue too. Having parts from three warehouses with three shipping costs adding to shipping. I had to get a bunch of maintenance parts. Shipping was $28 from three different warehouses.
But as for parts themselves I shop by part numbers do buying a Wagner brake pad and rotor with part number ABC3A22 is going to ve the same part as buying from NAPA. Most counter people are just looking up stuff on the computer. Sure there are some knowledgeable people out there but they tend to be in the old mom pop independent auto parts stores. If o have to go to brick and mortar I have a really good indipendent parts store a few miles away.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:05 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
+1
Get to know them and treat them like friends - It truly does go both ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
That's why you do not order parts over the phone. You go there in person, make them pull pics on the screen. Better off, you pull the part and take it with you to match. NAPA gave me their load of screw ups just like anyone else. But I built very good relationship with my local O'Reilley store, including a guy who grew on me from a clerk to a manager. They know me and will bend over backwards to help. I treat them like friends in return. It works both ways.

I don't do anything more than simple routine maintenance myself, but ALWAYS go to the O'Reilly's by my work..... I am a woman and they treat me with respect and offer good advice if I do happen to have a question.....

Not the case with many other auto parts stores.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive