Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 10:34 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,436,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
Went to Autozone to have a code read and it took an hour. The clerk didn't know how to work the code scanner and didn't know where to plug it in.

No longer offer that service here... something to do with not being a licensed auto repair fatality.

On of my first after school and weekend jobs in High School was working a parts counter... many were skeptical at first... in time I would have people ask for me... or say where's the kid.

Rebuilt my first engine at age 13 and had a side line of doing brake jobs for friends and family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 10:42 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,684,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
No longer offer that service here... something to do with not being a licensed auto repair fatality.

On of my first after school and weekend jobs in High School was working a parts counter... many were skeptical at first... in time I would have people ask for me... or say where's the kid.

Rebuilt my first engine at age 13 and had a side line of doing brake jobs for friends and family.
I wouldn't want to go to a licensed auto repair fatality either

Old 10-07-2015, 11:48 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,893,394 times
You don't need any tech knowledge to work at auto zone. It's a minimum wage retail clerk job.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:49 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,716,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Exported RHD Cherokees were re-imported into the U.S. as postal vehicles:

2000 Cherokee RHD Postal Jeep-$800 - NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association

The RHD radiators have everything reversed (Coolant in/coolant out and trans-cooler lines), and as such are rare birds hence the high price. Furthermore, they were used by Rural Mail Carriers, who are essentially contractor workers that use their own vehicles, so we as taxpayers were not footing the bill. Life is less of an outrage when you know the facts.
Here is a fact for you. RHD Jeeps for the postal service are not all "re-imported" into the US. Some never left US soil and were sold directly to postal employees.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:00 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,942,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Here is a fact for you. RHD Jeeps for the postal service are not all "re-imported" into the US. Some never left US soil and were sold directly to postal employees.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:42 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,716,826 times
Classic...a meme photo instead of responding like an adult. Whatever floats your boat "bro".

Old 10-07-2015, 01:36 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,973,278 times
discount auto parts is just as bad and will never buy parts there either ...I don't care if I have to pay more I will go to the dealer .

Old 10-07-2015, 01:40 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,684,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
discount auto parts is just as bad and will never buy parts there either ...I don't care if I have to pay more I will go to the dealer .
Why. Most discount parts stores have online storefronts where you can order your parts online without ever talking to anyone.

I'd rather know the price of something before I step in the door

Old 10-07-2015, 06:04 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,659,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Why. Most discount parts stores have online storefronts where you can order your parts online without ever talking to anyone.

I'd rather know the price of something before I step in the door
yeah, the problem with those online store fronts is that they are maddening to try and find general parts that fit a number of vehicles, especially when you put in one of those vehicles and it gives a list of parts that dont fit the vehicle.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:53 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,024,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yeah, the problem with those online store fronts is that they are maddening to try and find general parts that fit a number of vehicles, especially when you put in one of those vehicles and it gives a list of parts that dont fit the vehicle.
Yeah, that *really* ticks me off. Just had it happen this week- clutch in my wife's Jeep Liberty was borked and getting so bad that it would barely go into gear. I thought it would be a simple freeplay adjustment...nope. It's a hydraulic master/slave unit that is supposed to be replaced as a sealed assembly (and just how stupid is it to put the master cylinder, which is supposed to get checked to be sure there is enough fluid, behind and under so much of the wiring and electronics that you have to rip half of it out just to get to it?).

Nobody, but nobody within a hundred miles had one...not even the Jeep dealers. I finally pull out the smartphone and search on-line- one result comes up with 56 pages of parts, NOT A SINGLE FREAKING ONE OF WHICH ACTUALLY GOES TO THE YEAR, MAKE AND MODEL INPUT INTO THE SEARCH BOX! Oy vey, it's almost enough to make me want to put my head in the engine compartment and have somebody slam the hood.

Get the thing in 1st and start it, drive home shifting without the clutch and park it. Next day, take it apart, just for giggles, to see what I can see. Oddly, even though it's acting like there is no hydraulic pressure, the master cylinder appears to be full and I can't find any leaks.

Screwy. Scratch my head for a bit, then get under and pull the slave out of the housing- rubber boot and metal rod fall out. Huh? On close examination, it looks like the only thing that holds the rod in the correct possition is the rubber boot, which had popped off the little lip on the slave cylinder. Looks like maybe some dried, sticky grease on the rod. Could it really be that simple?

Yep, sure enough. Pull the cap off the master cylinder, pop the boot back onto the slave cylinder and put fresh grease on the rod, hold it vertical and compress the rod into the cylinder to spread the grease (and check to make sure no air- there's no bleeder on this foolish thing). OK, seems good, reinstall it- this is much easier said than done, because when you install a new one, it comes with a band that keeps the rod compressed into the cylinder...without it that band you have to get one hand on the cylinder and compress it into place and hold it in the correct position while you [try to] screw the studs back in, in a very limited amount of space...even though I have skinny hands and fingers, I was bleeding from nearly two dozen different places by the time I finished.

Get that back in and torqued down, check the master to make sure no fluid blew out and put the cap back on, reinstall the ECM in front of the master and the channel full of wires that goes over the top of it and take it for a test drive. Works fine now.

I wonder how many people are getting borked by dealers for replacing this entire unit (at twice the part cost from a store) when all that needs to be done is to put the rod and rubber boot back the way its supposed to be? I'll bet they don't get out of it for less than $500. And judging by the number of people who were looking for information about this failure in the jeep forums, I'm guessing that this is a very common problem. (And just off the top of my head, I can think of a couple of ways that this part could have been designed better, in such a way that this particular issue would never occur. Jeez. Are they hiring chimps to design parts and cars these days?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive