Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 05:55 PM

71 posts, read 77,606 times

Advertisements

I went to look at a car that looked like a good deal. It has been listed for several months now and the price was reduced three times over the past month (about $750). I walked around the lot for about 15 mins before anyone walked over. It was not long before closing time so maybe that was why

I noticed that the odometer was at 30,000 and the picture of the odometer in the ad was 27,000 ish. Also the car wasn't perfectly clean so someone has been driving it, I think the salesman I was dealing with since he said he has driven it

He didn't spend much time trying to sell it, just handed ne the keys and let me drive it while he was doing other stuff. He did not even ask for my contact info. Is it possible that he doesn't want to sell it if he is driving around in it? Do salesmen normally drive around cars that are on sale or do they have their own cars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 07:47 PM

24,476 posts, read 26,017,453 times
Not unusual at all, keeps miles off their car and the owner pays for the gas.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:48 PM

774 posts, read 2,383,222 times
Well, years ago salesmen typically had "demonstrators"--cars like you mentioned.

It was just a "perk" that went with the job.

Rarely would we put more than a few thousand miles on it though, not wanting it to seem more "used" that it already was.

Personally, every salesman I knew ran the hell out of them and therefore I'd steer well clear.

You might be better served looking at a car coming off lease with that kind of mileage.

Mikey

Old 09-27-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
Well, years ago salesmen typically had "demonstrators"--cars like you mentioned.

Rarely would we put more than a few thousand miles on it though, not wanting it to seem more "used" that it already was.

Personally, every salesman I knew ran the hell out of them and therefore I'd steer well clear.

You might be better served looking at a car coming off lease with that kind of mileage.

Mikey
The vehicle was a corporate lease. I don't know how long it has been on their lot but it has been at least three months that I know of. The salesmen put on 3,000 miles since it was posted on their site. You'd think they would be driving a car that is already out of warranty and not using up those valuable miles. There was a McDonalds wrapper inside one of the doors lol.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:52 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,934,141 times
I have a friend that buys/sells cars. she drives every one of them for a few weeks as her daily driver, if it has a problem she fixes it. If a sales person does not drive the car, do you think they can accurately tell you about its condition

Old 09-28-2015, 08:32 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post

Mikey

I worked at a large Chevy dealer in '70-'71 and those salesmen must have been a hard drinking bunch. It was not uncommon for a demo to be towed in all smashed up on Monday morning.

Unless they were obviously totaled, they'd fix 'em up and sell 'em....and I doubt like hell they told the buyers.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:43 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,784,156 times
It is a used car.

What about the other 27K miles? If you are that concerned with the idea of someone driving a used car before you than... buy a new car.

...and then stay up at night worrying about the factory workers, the truck drivers, dock workers, lot guys and demo drivers before you.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
It is a used car.

What about the other 27K miles? If you are that concerned with the idea of someone driving a used car before you than... buy a new car.

...and then stay up at night worrying about the factory workers, the truck drivers, dock workers, lot guys and demo drivers before you.
LOL I'm not concerned about it , just thought it was kinda funny, he didn't seem too eager to sell it, almost like he doesn't want to part ways with it

With an extra 3k on the odometer, either it has been driven a lot or it has been in their lot for a long time

Old 09-29-2015, 05:50 AM

929 posts, read 2,724,961 times
Demos can be good deals. My last dealership where I worked as a manager I was given a demo.
My department was billed about 500 bucks per month. This money was credited to the car.
I kept the car for about 4 months average. So this $2,000 was taken off the price of the car.
Some of these were sold cheap. The dealer would mark the car down starting at invoice, taking off all manufacture to dealer rebates/incentives , taking off the 2K , leaving someone a great price on a new / untitled car with about 5-6K miles.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider7811 View Post
Demos can be good deals. My last dealership where I worked as a manager I was given a demo.
My department was billed about 500 bucks per month. This money was credited to the car.
I kept the car for about 4 months average. So this $2,000 was taken off the price of the car.
Some of these were sold cheap. The dealer would mark the car down starting at invoice, taking off all manufacture to dealer rebates/incentives , taking off the 2K , leaving someone a great price on a new / untitled car with about 5-6K miles.
I am not sure it is a demo, it is a base model used car, probably being used as a commutet car by one of tbe salesmen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive