Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 02:00 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
...hence why dealers do not engage in illegal practices as that can result in fines or suspension of license, etc.
Why would there be fines and suspension of license laws if dealers never break the law?

In reviewing the OP, I see that he didn't say he called and confirmed ahead of time. This was my understanding of what happened. Maybe he said it later in the thread....or maybe I'm just getting old :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 05:33 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Why would there be fines and suspension of license laws if dealers never break the law?

In reviewing the OP, I see that he didn't say he called and confirmed ahead of time. This was my understanding of what happened. Maybe he said it later in the thread....or maybe I'm just getting old :-)
I never said that they didn't break the law, and most laws have penalties, be they civil or criminal.

No, I was confused to as to when the call occurred. I have called and put a deposit on a specific car, not a loss leader, but with special equipment and drove three hours to the dealership, only to find there was a "mistake." Aggravating, but no redress in law.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-12-2015, 06:58 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If it's a new car you're looking at it's quite possible they weren't expecting any more and then got a new shipment from the manufacturer cleaning out its inventory for the new model year.

As far as the salesman calling, he's doing his job following up on a possible sale. You did tell him what you wanted and one came in.

Also dealerships trade inventory with other dealerships to replenish items that are IN DEMAND in their area.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:59 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
I'm sure if in between the phone call and when the OP got to the dealership the car was sold they certainly can produce a sales order. If anything to quell the OP's suspicions of bait and switch.

I had the same thing happen to me. Saw a dealership craigslist ad for Forester priced competitively. Called them up and asked about that car at that price. They said YEP, still available. Come on down. Drove 45 minutes just to have them tell me it's been sold. They said from the time you called to now it was sold. Asked for sales order form but they didn't and/or wouldn't supply it (I get it, privacy laws. I didn't expect it anyways).

Of course a week later that same ad was still running. And a week after that...and so on.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:56 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
I think this thread has gotten way off track.

Forget about whether it was bait and switch. The OP wants to know if he should buy a car from this dealer, and I think it's simple.

If the dealer has the car the OP wants, and is willing to sell it to the OP at the price the OP wants to pay, all as demonstrated by a bill of sale, the OP should buy it.

Otherwise, no.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 364 times
What if a car dealer tells you the car you want is sold but they have others to offer you at a higher price, then you find out that the car you wanted to test drive WAS NOT sold after all and in the next couple of days they raised the price by $500? (Not relisted it, just raised the price on the same ad.)

What is that called?

Old 04-07-2021, 12:49 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicajrose View Post
What if a car dealer tells you the car you want is sold but they have others to offer you at a higher price, then you find out that the car you wanted to test drive WAS NOT sold after all and in the next couple of days they raised the price by $500? (Not relisted it, just raised the price on the same ad.)

What is that called?
SOP
Standard Operating Procedure for the car sales business.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:19 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Bait and switch, bread and butter of many dealerships.

Sure, go back, but be aware, read and understand any contract you sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive