Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 04:26 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Common scenario:

Left turn lane, red light.

Left arrow turns green. First driver is looking at her phone. Someone beeps. She starts into the intersection.

Truck behind her is sitting there, not paying attention. After a while, he starts into the intersection. Left arrow is turning yellow.

Very p*ssed driver behind the truck tailgates him. Another five or six motorists are stuck waiting for another cycle.

When I'm first in line, and it turns green, I quickly look left, and right, and then get going because a quick start will help one more person behind me to get through the green. My driving instructor told me to start moving when the car in front of the car in front of me starts to move. I guess they either don't teach this anymore, or people just don't care.

I'm shocked, a driver that considers others! WOW! Usually most drivers are in their own little world, and couldn't care less about anyone else. It's like most people drive like Mr. Magoo these days!
God Bless you for caring about others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 05:53 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
What about motorcycles Splitting lanes here in Southern California. Its gotten out of control here.
Up here, too - and they are doing it at full speed or over -- not legal. I almost hit a guy a few months ago, who was going 85, when traffic was going 60 and the freeway wasn't that crowded. I was going to pass the car in front of me -- I checked my mirrors, over my shoulder, tuned on my signal and I was totally clear and when I went to pass there he was. And while you might not consider it lane splitting -- anytime there were two cars next to each other he'd drive through the slot.

To the poster who asked -- in CA if the freeways are at a stop or a very slow crawl, motorcycles are permitted to drive on the lane line SLOWLY between the cars, splitting the lanes. This is not permitted during normal traffic patterns

Old 10-13-2015, 08:18 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
5. Driving on FWY at FWY speed, if you can not see headlights of the car behind you in the rear view mirror - LET THEM PASS YOU. They are riding your bumper, YOU will hit the brakes, THEY hit YOU.
That's called tailgating and it's illegal. If they hit you from behind, it's their fault.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:58 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
That's called tailgating and it's illegal. If they hit you from behind, it's their fault.
It's still an accident that could be avoided very easily. Just move.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
It's still an accident that could be avoided very easily. Just move.
Yes, it could easily be avoided by not climbing into someone's trunk. Hate to break it to you, but you can't always "just move". There are other vehicles on the road. What are you supposed to do when there's only 1 lane? Should I pull off the road so you can climb into the next trunk? No. I have just as much right to be on the road.

And no I don't drive like a 90 year old lady. I was doing 68 in a 55 on s state highway yesterday and had a pick up truck who I thought was going to enter my vehicle yesterday because he was so far up my rear. There's no need for that. Go be a jerk at home. Don't act like a jerk with a 3,000 pound weapon.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:39 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Yes, it could easily be avoided by not climbing into someone's trunk. Hate to break it to you, but you can't always "just move". There are other vehicles on the road. What are you supposed to do when there's only 1 lane? Should I pull off the road so you can climb into the next trunk? No. I have just as much right to be on the road.

And no I don't drive like a 90 year old lady. I was doing 68 in a 55 on s state highway yesterday and had a pick up truck who I thought was going to enter my vehicle yesterday because he was so far up my rear. There's no need for that. Go be a jerk at home. Don't act like a jerk with a 3,000 pound weapon.
The post you quoted was referring to freeway driving, not single lane roads. And as to your pickup truck example, so what? Just move. It's not worth the hassle and headache.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
The post you quoted was referring to freeway driving, not single lane roads. And as to your pickup truck example, so what? Just move. It's not worth the hassle and headache.
We don't always drive on freeways. I've had people climb up my trunk while on the highway and have nowhere to go. They flip their lights and starting waving their hands like a loon.

Again, if there's no where to go how do you just move?? It's not like we're the only 2 vehicles on the road!

Old 10-13-2015, 09:09 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
if you got seventeen cars crawling up your tail, you could be the problem

Old 10-15-2015, 01:03 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
I used to drive a two lane road back and forth from where I lived. It was a beautiful scenic road and the posted speed was only 40 mph, so naturally, I'd get loons on my tail all the time. I did (and do) pull over to let them pass, but I discovered you should be very cognizant of where you are pulling over. If one of these idiots zooms around you (and they almost always do) and hits another car head on, you could be liable. All they'd have to do is say you waved them forward. They might not win their case, but who wants to be involved in that?

Having said that, I've been in the slow lane on the freeway and had someone tailgate me for more than 5 miles when we were the only 2 cars on the road. My solution to that was to finally slow down so much the person got irritated and finally passed me. What's up with that one, anyway?

Old 10-15-2015, 08:24 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
2) When the other lanes are slowing down or stopping, slow down. Do not pass them, since they may be letting some one from the other side.

1) Never glance at the pretty girls jogging on the sidewalks or the girls applying make up on the other cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive