Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 11:52 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times

Advertisements

In the future, when you get disoriented, stop until you are clear what's going on. Just going when disoriented is begging for a serious accident.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:02 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
I can't quite tell from the link what intersection this is (can't see the imgur photos at work). Is this El Camino and Bovet Rd in San Mateo? If so, I work a block away further down Bovet and I've yet to receive any tickets for a right turn on red in the past 3 years. I always stop when making a right on red, particularly in San Mateo county where they love these kinds of systems.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:41 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I can't quite tell from the link what intersection this is (can't see the imgur photos at work). Is this El Camino and Bovet Rd in San Mateo? If so, I work a block away further down Bovet and I've yet to receive any tickets for a right turn on red in the past 3 years. I always stop when making a right on red, particularly in San Mateo county where they love these kinds of systems.
It's Millbrae & Rollins, in front of the BART station.. with OP making a turn from EB Millbrae Ave towards In 'n' Out Burger. It has to be, because there are no other red-light cameras in Millbrae.. I recall at one point they wanted to put one at El Camino and one at 101 as well!

Old 10-16-2015, 05:25 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Don't know about CA RLC but in FL, 40% of revenue collected is from right turns. Legislature tried to pass a bill to outlaw citations for right turn but cities and camera companies and members taking money from camera companies killed the bill.
In California the number is 80%. What they have done is take something that everybody despises, red light runners, and turned it into a revenue stream by fining the hell out of drivers who roll through right turns. Which is of zero safety concern.

The other 20% are caught by shorting the yellow light, to catch drivers in the seconds after the light turns red.

As much as we all hate red light runners, the reality is that there isn't enough violators doing it, to make red light enforcement cost effective. Which is why you never see cops sitting at an intersection writing red light tickets. Any cop would fail to get his quota doing that.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:44 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Regardless of the excuses and phony percentages . . . my personal experience from the major intersection near my home that has a Red Light Camera System . . . accidents have been reduced considerably.

Revenue or not, if the Camera Systems eliminate just one Property Damage or Personal Injury Accident a month, just ONE and not even considering a Deadly Accident, they are worth every penny.

I am not a big fan of The Cameras and I wish they were not necessary, however, maybe, just maybe, they have saved me or one of my vehicles from an accident caused by some a$$hole running a red light.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:03 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Revenue or not, if the Camera Systems eliminate just one Property Damage or Personal Injury Accident a month, just ONE and not even considering a Deadly Accident, they are worth every penny.
Great except they don't eliminate accidents, they increase them. Will you now be for getting rid of them to eliminate accidents?

Red Light Cameras Cause Increase in Crashes, Study Shows

Old 10-16-2015, 06:13 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
In my area, T-bone crashes have decreased but rear end crashes have increased dramatically. Especially at intersections where drivers belief that the yellow time has been shortened to increase revenue.
About 90% of revenue generated is from right turns, stopped but over the white line, and LESS THAN ONE SECOND RED.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Good luck with that defense. Those camera lights are not nearly enough to cause blindness from the flashes, if they were there would have been many accidents and they would have corrected it.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:03 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Regardless of the excuses and phony percentages . . . my personal experience from the major intersection near my home that has a Red Light Camera System . . . accidents have been reduced considerably.

I am not a big fan of The Cameras and I wish they were not necessary, however, maybe, just maybe, they have saved me or one of my vehicles from an accident caused by some a$$hole running a red light.
These systems have been shown to drastically increase rear end collisions at intersections so the safety aspect isn't even there.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:29 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
These systems have been shown to drastically increase rear end collisions at intersections so the safety aspect isn't even there.
I totally disagree primarily from my own personal observation . . .

Interesting that you claim otherwise but offer absolutely no basis / proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive