Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 10:31 PM

71 posts, read 77,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I don't think too much damage could have been done in 7k miles, even if they never changed the oil, as not too much maintenance would have needed to be completed. I wonder if this was a voluntary repo by an executor, where the owner is deceased, and the estate returned the vehicle to satisfy the lien. If so, then there would not be a problem, but the car would be recorded as a repo even if voluntarily surrendered in such a case, since the balance was not paid in full, and terms negotiated to satisfy the lien and release any claim on the decedent's estate for the balance owed. It could also be a voluntary repo if one spouse died, or there was a change in income, as well. As long as it was not a repo from a buy-here-pay-here type of operation, a newer vehicle with that mileage wouldn't give much thought if the terms are good and the vehicle passes a PPI.
That's a good question, it doesn't say in the carfax. Not sure the dealer would know since they purchased at an auction. I'm mainly concerned about damage if the repo man damaged it somehow while repossessing it. Think a PPI is necessary for a car that will be covered under factory warranty for awhile? Debating whether to get one or not. If I do, I need to figure out how to arrange a PPI on a Saturday in a town several hours away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 11:28 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Well, a PPI will tell you if there is any damage to the vehicle. A warranty will only protect you in the case of a defect that is the result of the manufacturer's origin. Lack of proper maintenance, for example, that leads to a blown head gasket, for example, would be disclaimed by the manufacturer under the factory warranty. Without records, some manufacturers can be problematic in getting claims processed, so I would find a good local mechanic in the town where you plan to buy, or contact a national service like Carchex where they come to the car.

I would say the risk is low, given the mileage, that there is any substantial damage that could cause a problem, but you don't know if it was a voluntary repo or the owner drove it over a few sidewalks and did some damage underneath. Some people do strange things to the cars when they know they are about to be taken away, and sometimes it may not manifest until later.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-15-2015, 10:39 AM

71 posts, read 77,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Well, a PPI will tell you if there is any damage to the vehicle. A warranty will only protect you in the case of a defect that is the result of the manufacturer's origin. Lack of proper maintenance, for example, that leads to a blown head gasket, for example, would be disclaimed by the manufacturer under the factory warranty. Without records, some manufacturers can be problematic in getting claims processed, so I would find a good local mechanic in the town where you plan to buy, or contact a national service like Carchex where they come to the car.

I would say the risk is low, given the mileage, that there is any substantial damage that could cause a problem, but you don't know if it was a voluntary repo or the owner drove it over a few sidewalks and did some damage underneath. Some people do strange things to the cars when they know they are about to be taken away, and sometimes it may not manifest until later.
Good points, sadly that is true. Thanks for the info

Old 10-15-2015, 11:41 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny7214 View Post
Good points, sadly that is true. Thanks for the info
Sure. Good luck. The only company where I would be a bit hesitant without a PPI would be with Kia, and possibly with Hyundai, since both are known for demanding paperwork whenever they cover anything under warranty, and the 10/100 does not transfer to the new owner, it truncates unless bought CPO from the franchised dealer. Honda and Toyota, in comparison, are generally pretty fair when it comes to dealing with warranty issues, and don't demand paperwork on the vehicle, unless there are clear signs of abuse/missed maintenance, though some reps may require documentation of oil changes for a maintenance-related warranty claim. And newer models from marques like BMW that include the first years of maintenance would already have the records, since there's no added cost to have the services performed during the warranty period.

In fact, if it were Hyundai or Kia, I would actually have the PPI completed at a franchised dealer, so the record of your ownership would start with an assessment of the car's condition at 7k miles.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-15-2015, 12:07 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny7214 View Post
That's a good question, it doesn't say in the carfax. Not sure the dealer would know since they purchased at an auction. I'm mainly concerned about damage if the repo man damaged it somehow while repossessing it. Think a PPI is necessary for a car that will be covered under factory warranty for awhile? Debating whether to get one or not. If I do, I need to figure out how to arrange a PPI on a Saturday in a town several hours away.
I wouldn't worry about that. They typically just tow it, with a tow truck, and it seems like most tow trucks I see these days are actually flatbeds.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:26 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
I was under the impression that these are sold at auctions where a PPI is impossible. So no, the condition is an absolute wild card...

Old 01-26-2016, 09:38 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Would it still carry original mfg warranty?

Old 01-26-2016, 12:47 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I wouldn't worry about that. They typically just tow it, with a tow truck, and it seems like most tow trucks I see these days are actually flatbeds.
Plus, don't forget the Repo Code:

'I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof, nor through inaction let the personal contents thereof come to harm' It's what I call the Repo Code, kid!

Repo Man (1984) - IMDb

Old 01-26-2016, 12:52 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
I bought a foreclosed house. And a car with a salvage title.

So yeah, I wouldn't think twice about a repo'd vehicle if it was a good deal.

But generally speaking I would look things over more closely. If you're not a mechanical god like myself, that means you should have a repo'd car thoroughly inspected. Although in this particular case with only 7000 miles on the clock... all this discussion is probably moot. So long as it hasn't been wrecked or something, it's fine. Assuming we have the whole story....

One thing that would concern me is this: Has the car been through a flood? This whole thing sounds a bit suspicious to me. I'd suggest that you do a carfax and see if the car has lived in an area where flooding has occurred over the past couple years. If it has, I'd be pretty suspicious.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:23 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
It's just a used car...ahem...excuse me; it's a "retrieved certified pre-owned automobile."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive