Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 08:03 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,036,978 times

Advertisements

Besides what a manufacturer deems "acceptable", do modern vehicles burn oil? I have a 2013 GMC Acadia with 33000 miles that has started burning a 1/4 of a quart every 2000 miles. Should I be concerned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 08:26 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
You didn't give much detail about the engine or what oil you are using so here's some generalities for you. The 3.6 GM engine and the Ford 3.5 EcoBust were a joint development and are close enough to be called clones in most circles. Yes, there are differences but they are from the same team of engineers. Both are direct injected engines and both are incredibly hard on oil. The issue is the shearing that takes place in the engines. An oil can easily start out as a heavy 30 viscosity on the heavy end of the Kinematic scale and after 5000 miles has sheared to a medium to light 20. It's when it shears this bad and the OLM says it still has life is when things get whacky. Frankly, I would forget the OLM on both engines and change regardless of brand or base of oil at 5000 miles. But is a 8oz of oil every 2000 miles a cause for concern? No, but with all direct injected engines you need to be aware that you need an oil that has the lowest NOACK in testing. Right now that would be Pennzoil Platinum, Amsoil ATM Signature Series, and Quaker State Ultimate Durability and if you can buy it locally, Redline 10w-30. These oils will be at less than 10% lost versus any other oil, regardless of brand or base, will be at or near 15%. So if you are running something different than those listed, expect the oil to disappear via NOACK and at a rate of 15% which is the max allowable by API and ILSAC.

The Petroleum Quality Institute of America

Old 10-15-2015, 09:54 AM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
No. Read Toyota user manual. Excessive is considered oil use more than 1 qrt per 700 miles. Do you realize, how little 700 miles is in the USA, country that is built on driving?
Top this with Toyota extending warranties on their cars for excessive oil use. So does Honda. Then engines will be fixed under recall "as they collect necessary parts".
Your concern is null. Nothing.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
You didn't give much detail about the engine or what oil you are using so here's some generalities for you. The 3.6 GM engine and the Ford 3.5 EcoBust were a joint development and are close enough to be called clones in most circles. Yes, there are differences but they are from the same team of engineers. Both are direct injected engines and both are incredibly hard on oil. The issue is the shearing that takes place in the engines. An oil can easily start out as a heavy 30 viscosity on the heavy end of the Kinematic scale and after 5000 miles has sheared to a medium to light 20. It's when it shears this bad and the OLM says it still has life is when things get whacky. Frankly, I would forget the OLM on both engines and change regardless of brand or base of oil at 5000 miles. But is a 8oz of oil every 2000 miles a cause for concern? No, but with all direct injected engines you need to be aware that you need an oil that has the lowest NOACK in testing. Right now that would be Pennzoil Platinum, Amsoil ATM Signature Series, and Quaker State Ultimate Durability and if you can buy it locally, Redline 10w-30. These oils will be at less than 10% lost versus any other oil, regardless of brand or base, will be at or near 15%. So if you are running something different than those listed, expect the oil to disappear via NOACK and at a rate of 15% which is the max allowable by API and ILSAC.

The Petroleum Quality Institute of America
Thanks. It is the 3.6L engine and I've been having the oil changed at the dealer. I'm assuming they are using AC Delco Dexos 5w30. I wouldn't think much of the oil loss if it had been that way from the get go. In the first year I saw no noticeable loss even during a round trip from NY to Orlando, thus is a recent development. I will try one of the oils you suggested and see if there is a difference.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
No. Read Toyota user manual. Excessive is considered oil use more than 1 qrt per 700 miles. Do you realize, how little 700 miles is in the USA, country that is built on driving?
Top this with Toyota extending warranties on their cars for excessive oil use. So does Honda. Then engines will be fixed under recall "as they collect necessary parts".
Your concern is null. Nothing.
I would consider a quart every 700 miles excessive especially since none of the 8 vehicles ived owned/leased in the last 20 years has used any noticeable amount of oil.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:30 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,877,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Thanks. It is the 3.6L engine and I've been having the oil changed at the dealer. I'm assuming they are using AC Delco Dexos 5w30. I wouldn't think much of the oil loss if it had been that way from the get go. In the first year I saw no noticeable loss even during a round trip from NY to Orlando, thus is a recent development. I will try one of the oils you suggested and see if there is a difference.
If you have purchased a GM extended warranty, since yours is almost up, do NOT use anything except a Dexos "approved" oil for that engine, or any other GM engine requiring Dexos approved oil. You will NOT like the results should you have a oil related problem. GM will NOT cover it and you will have to flip the bill.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:55 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
Quote:
If you have purchased a GM extended warranty, since yours is almost up, do NOT use anything except a Dexos "approved" oil for that engine, or any other GM engine requiring Dexos approved oil. You will NOT like the results should you have a oil related problem. GM will NOT cover it and you will have to flip the bill.
Absolute bull bagels. There is even a statement in the owners manual that it is okay to use any API Energy Conserving oil in the SAE 5w-30. GM does not NOT require Dexos at all, it only recommends it just like Toyota recommends their oil as does Nissan and all of the other makers. Dexos is not an approved oil by ILSAC nor are the specs which are only SLIGHTLY beyond those of API. The Feds have been investigating GMs Dexos as they are stiffing the oil makers with HUGE costs for the certifications and then hammering the consumer with premium prices for an oil that is not totally premium.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:50 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
I would consider a quart every 700 miles excessive especially since none of the 8 vehicles ived owned/leased in the last 20 years has used any noticeable amount of oil.
Yep, so do I. Except that Toyota thinks otherwise. Which is ridiculous and beats, in oil "acceptable" consumption level any other vehicle I have ever seen or owned. As in - no leaks and such. Mechanically sound.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:29 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,877,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Absolute bull bagels. There is even a statement in the owners manual that it is okay to use any API Energy Conserving oil in the SAE 5w-30. GM does not NOT require Dexos at all, it only recommends it just like Toyota recommends their oil as does Nissan and all of the other makers. Dexos is not an approved oil by ILSAC nor are the specs which are only SLIGHTLY beyond those of API. The Feds have been investigating GMs Dexos as they are stiffing the oil makers with HUGE costs for the certifications and then hammering the consumer with premium prices for an oil that is not totally premium.
And I quote: Use and ask for licensed oils with the dexos1 approved certification mark. Notice: Failure to use the recommended oil or equivalent can result in engine damage not covered by the warranty.......yada, yada

This is in the owners manual in my 2012 Buick Enclave, AND my 2013 Chevrolet Z71.

From the warranty booklet for my Z71:

Failure to use dexos licensed oil may result in engine damage that may not be covered by your warranty.

From the extended warrant booklet on my Z71:

Failure to use dexos licensed oil may result in engine damage that may not be covered by your warranty.

Don't know what Onwers Manual youre looking at, but that's from 2 owners manuals, and both the 3 year/36000mile warranty and GM extended warranty booklet's I have for my 2013.

Sounds like a requirement to me, but go ahead, use what you want, its not my engine, and if the OP wants to risk it, its not my wallet!

Old 10-15-2015, 06:49 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
I owned an old Porsche [bought new] for many years. It used 1 quart every 600 miles. It was considered normal. My Honda does not need added oil in 3000 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive