Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 01:59 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
Most middle class folks driving such fancy cars are probably leasing them. Enjoy the status symbol and look cool for 3 yrs, then dump the car for another one.
Agreed. Leasing is very common. New car every 2-3 years, but nothing to show for it after the lease ends. It's part of the "immediate gratification" mentality. I'm not a fan myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 02:14 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Amazing how many 50k+ vehicles I see parked in middle class neighborhoods, and Q7s parked in the lot at Target. Never saw that 25 years ago. Back then if you saw someone driving a new Mercedes you knew they were well off!

Do all these people finance everything to the hilt? I would think the last thing you would want to own if you had any sort of debt whatsoever would be a luxury car.
Sometimes people do not know the value of older luxury cars and they think that just because its a BMW, Audi or Mercedes that its worth a lot of money. These brands really depreciate in value and can be had at a good price just because they are the outgoing model. A newer Camry can be worth more than a comparable outgoing model luxury car.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:18 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
Most middle class folks driving such fancy cars are probably leasing them. Enjoy the status symbol and look cool for 3 yrs, then dump the car for another one.
Not all are leases.

When I was a tech it was crazy to see luxury cars that were a few years old with the cheapest off brand junk tires installed and a Jiffy Lube oil filter change sticker. The only reason it rolled into are shop was apparently you can't some (insert obscure part here) at Autozone.

A perfect example was gas springs on a Rolls Royce.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:34 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times
Today's cars can last a long time. Once upon a time, people seemed to buy a new car every three years or so. And back then, when a car had about 100,000 miles, it was more or less shot. Today, cars are much better and can last a long time. 100,000 miles is nothing. Anyway, if you spend $50K on a car but it lasts 10 years or more without much maintenance, that's not such a bad ideal.

As for people buying expensive luxury cars? I guess it makes them feel better. Then again, some people have a lot of money, so for them, it might be a small expense.

I've been toying with the idea of buying a new Corvette. They look like fun and I'd like to take a road trip around the country. One the one hand, I realize that $70K is a lot of money and that spending that much on a car is not only unnecessary, but stupid. On the other hand, it's not like I get to live forever. I still haven't decided.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:47 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Because...they...want...them.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:53 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Never saw that 25 years ago. Back then if you saw someone driving a new Mercedes you knew they were well off!
False Premise.

I worked on those cars 25 years ago, and a lot of those cars were sold to folk who were financed to the hilt back then. Or they were leased cars where their cash flow could handle the payment.

Either way, you DIDN'T know if they were well off.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:01 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Maybe it’s just me, but I’d think someone’s financial house is in disorder if they’re buying an $80k vehicle at that income level. There’s not a luxury car out there that won’t see its value halved after three years.

There's a lot of people racing towards retirement broke, but hey they looked good getting there.

I rather spend money on other things.
Depends on a lot of factors. If you don't have any debt to speak of, and it's just disposable income, then you can easily afford it. But you said it yourself... you'd rather spend it on other things. So if you're spending $15k for a vacation every couple years for example, that's no different than someone who spends big on an automobile purchase because they like cars.

And frankly, spending a lot of money on a vacation is fun, but after you get home, you've only memories and pictures. At least buying a car you've managed to keep some of your investment.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:23 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
There are ways to have a "prestige" car on under $100k/year income without killing retirement savings or living in perpetual debt. But those who Can do this also don't, which is how they got into the position in the first place.

As for the majority? paycheck to paycheck, coating by on fumes more months than not and zero savings.
I could afford a "prestige" car and pay cash for it but I garner my sense of personal prestige from being debt free and having the choice to retire early in the future. Therefore my money will be working for me rather than being blown on a prestige car so that I can reach those goals before the age of 50.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:27 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I could afford a "prestige" car and pay cash for it but I garner my sense of personal prestige from being debt free and having the choice to retire early in the future. Therefore my money will be working for me rather than being blown on a prestige car so that I can reach those goals before the age of 50.
Don't forget, it doesn't always work that way. On at least a few occasions, I've done the right thing and "invested" money in certain stocks, only to see it all go down the drain very quickly. I would have been much better off buying myself a Ferrari. At least I'd still have the car the following year. With the stock, all I got was a tax loss carry-forward.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:37 PM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Amazing how many 50k+ vehicles I see parked in middle class neighborhoods, and Q7s parked in the lot at Target. Never saw that 25 years ago. Back then if you saw someone driving a new Mercedes you knew they were well off!

Do all these people finance everything to the hilt? I would think the last thing you would want to own if you had any sort of debt whatsoever would be a luxury car.
Judge much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive