Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 07:47 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
My summer performance Michelin Pilot Super Sports lasted about 6k miles just like they said, wasn't worth it at all.
6k miles? wow. How is that even possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 07:53 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
I am soon to be looking at acquiring some snow tires as I do a good bit of driving here in the Northeast corridor for work. I have all seasons currently however they are starting to get a bit worn down. My thought is it would make more sense when the all seasons need to be replaced to get summer tires instead of all seasons particularly if I have snows available for the winter.

Anything bad about transitioning to summer vs all season in the warmer months? I am by no means driving a performance vehicle 2010 Ford Fusion 2.5L with a manual tranny.
Most quality radials are built for all seasons. The tire compounds are now developed to the point of near absurdity. In short, if you have an AWD, FWD, or 4WD ANY of the modern radials will suit you fine in the winter so long as you have 5-6/32 of tread left (Read: 35-48% of the tread remaining). Most tires start with 11-12/32 of an inch.

The need for "snow tires" is now relegated to RWD vehicles, trucks, and areas where Bob Newhart could make reruns....they just aren't necessary anymore. Can you get stuck without them? You bet. Ergo the need to keep chains and/or cleats, a bag of kitty litter or sand in the trunk, 3 20 min road flares to literally burn an ice patch down in order to pave out a kitty litter launch and get you going again....not so much for safety although they are good for that too, and good, tow-rope 20' in length or more and you can probably skip the exercise of "snow tires".

And before anyone's tampon falls out regarding the flares, try one on an ice patch and you too will be mesmerized, your car won't blow up and no, you don't need to get the heat so close as to melt your tire...it will do that on it's own through transference....don't laugh, it works and it's gotten me out of at least 3 hopeless stuck situations....in 10 minutes or less each.....kick the loose snow and slush aside, burn away....drive in as little as 10 minutes....dries the road out a bit too.

If you have ever been caught in a spot and it's 20 below or more you know precisely what I am talking about.....

Old 10-19-2015, 08:10 PM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
6k miles? wow. How is that even possible?
Super grippy tire, great for track, but never went. My wife's Hyundai Sonata came with summer only tires that were worthless in snow. Super reputable local tire shop got us Continental extreme contact tires that are great in snow and rain, but can last summers without wearing out. Take a look at them. We paid around $900-1k for 4 tires, but was well worth it.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:39 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
All seasons certainly have varying performance on snow. My goal tho is to get the best possible traction in snow, just want to reduce the liability. My thought on using summers instead of all seas is since I already will have snows what is the point of an all season?

Found a set of steels with lightly used snows attached for 400 on craigslist that fit my car. Tempted to offer 300.
If you're looking for the best snow traction, studded is the way to go. Go a bit skinnier than OE if you can, they will cut into the snow better.

Quote:
Hmmm, interesting to know. Was not aware of this. I am not looking necessarily for super high end performance considering that it is a 4banger mid size car, just looking for the best option if I purchase snows.

The summer tire purchase probably would not be for another year or so.
Summer tires do NOT necessarily wear quicker than all seasons.

Snows will wear the quickest as they do have a soft compound.

But summers and all seasons will have varying compounds so you can definitely research this. Your own driving habits may make a difference as well. Don't forget, you will be driving them less with the swap to winter tires.

I wait till the last minute to put my snows on and take them off as soon as possible (unfortunately last year they went on before Thanksgiving and off in April - think that was my longest stint with them!). I don't drive as much in the winter for work either, so my snows may last 10 years (except for my last set which I didn't really like.. used them for 4 winters and looking to replace them now).

I personally love Nokian Hakkapeliitta studded snows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Unless you driving style is that of taking turns very aggressively and wanting more grip than summer tires are for you. The problem is....when do you take your winters off and put the summers on? If you guess wrong and are stuck at work on summer tires with snow on the ground....you will be better off camping in your office or taking a cab home. Summers are that bad in the snow. I got caught once....it was freaking scary.

The summer tires I ran on my RX-7 lasted 8,000 miles...and that was good But much fun was had on them between street and auto-x
haha! I've had that happen twice. Once with a freak early snow, lucky I was just a few miles from home but it was like learning how to drive all over again. Second time was a freak localized black ice while I was housesitting, again just miles from home but in the hills. I stayed put for that one.

8K - sheesh! I get about 40K from mine, will have to check what's on the current set, think this is their 4th season. But I've got an underpowered 4 cyl FWD and would get some nice Yoko's for autox if need be

Old 10-20-2015, 05:59 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
My summer performance Michelin Pilot Super Sports lasted about 6k miles just like they said, wasn't worth it at all.
6K miles? What types of road surface are you driving on? Those tires are 20K-30K miles tires depending on driving style. The Michelin Pilot Super Sports are 30K warranty and half of that if you split fitments.

I use Michelin in the spring to fall and switch to Blizzak in the winter. Even where I am, it's not absolutely necessary to run winter tires. I was fine for 2 seasons with the Continental RFT. Trying to hold out until late November before I do the switch.

Last edited by sj08054; 10-20-2015 at 06:11 AM..

Old 10-20-2015, 06:02 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
I know that some people swear by studs. The reading I have done indicates that the only time their performance is better than regular snow tires is on ice, and in all other conditions performance is actually worse.

I do know people here in Vermont who say that they will run all-seasons for their first winter, with brand-new tread, then go to snows after that. For the driving I do I prefer to change to snows every winter.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:17 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Default All Seasons = best value

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Most quality radials are built for all seasons. The tire compounds are now developed to the point of near absurdity. In short, if you have an AWD, FWD, or 4WD ANY of the modern radials will suit you fine in the winter so long as you have 5-6/32 of tread left (Read: 35-48% of the tread remaining). Most tires start with 11-12/32 of an inch.

The need for "snow tires" is now relegated to RWD vehicles, trucks, and areas where Bob Newhart could make reruns....they just aren't necessary anymore. Can you get stuck without them? You bet. Ergo the need to keep chains and/or cleats, a bag of kitty litter or sand in the trunk, 3 20 min road flares to literally burn an ice patch down in order to pave out a kitty litter launch and get you going again....not so much for safety although they are good for that too, and good, tow-rope 20' in length or more and you can probably skip the exercise of "snow tires".

And before anyone's tampon falls out regarding the flares, try one on an ice patch and you too will be mesmerized, your car won't blow up and no, you don't need to get the heat so close as to melt your tire...it will do that on it's own through transference....don't laugh, it works and it's gotten me out of at least 3 hopeless stuck situations....in 10 minutes or less each.....kick the loose snow and slush aside, burn away....drive in as little as 10 minutes....dries the road out a bit too.

If you have ever been caught in a spot and it's 20 below or more you know precisely what I am talking about.....
This is your best answer. I drove average 45k all over WI and dealt with Great Lakes snow all the time. Good, relatively new all season radials will get you almost anywhere you want to go and will end up costing far less than swapping. As a fleet manager I have been to tire seminars, heard the engineers, sales reps, and professional drivers all explain what works and what doesn't. In your car (I also have a Fusion 4 cyl commuter) you don't need to swap tires. Unnecessary expense and PITA for little to no benefit in my professional opinion.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:02 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
One thing snow tires have that any other tires can not emulate is the pliability of the tire when it gets cold outside. Snow tires will stay pliable and thus still maintain it's grip. No matter what tread design all season tires have, they will not be as pliable.

I am a huge supporter of dedicated snow tires (preferably on it's own set of wheels for long term savings) if you drive anywhere where you expect snowfall

Old 10-20-2015, 08:21 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Why summer tires?

They tend to not last as long. I think I am lucky to get 20K miles out of a set on my Mustang.

How about a set of All-seasons for the 3 seasons of the year...and snow tires for the serious stuff? I'm running Continental ExtremeContact DSW on my Infiniti AWD. I'm on my second set and got 70K miles out of the first set. So in terms of being a cost effective-long lasting tires, they have done me well.

Now in my situation, I choose to run the all-seasons in the snow. With the AWD I have driven in some pretty deep snow without issue. So for MYSELF I have not chosen to buy a dedicated set of snow tires...yet.

However, as my (future) wife may be driving the car more and more, I would feel better if I had dedicated snow tires for the winter...possibly studded. I would run the all seasons most of the year and then swap over a 2nd set of rims with the studded snow tires when the serious snow tends to hit (Jan and Feb).

Snow tires are worth their weight in gold in terms of improved handling and braking on snow and ice. Plus the rubber compound is different and grips slightly better in cold weather than summer or even all-season tires.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:22 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Why summer tires?

They tend to not last as long. I think I am lucky to get 20K miles out of a set on my Mustang.

How about a set of All-seasons for the 3 seasons of the year...and snow tires for the serious stuff? I'm running Continental ExtremeContact DSW on my Infiniti AWD. I'm on my second set and got 70K miles out of the first set. So in terms of being a cost effective-long lasting tires, they have done me well.

Now in my situation, I choose to run the all-seasons in the snow. With the AWD I have driven in some pretty deep snow without issue. So for MYSELF I have not chosen to buy a dedicated set of snow tires...yet.

However, as my (future) wife may be driving the car more and more, I would feel better if I had dedicated snow tires for the winter...possibly studded. I would run the all seasons most of the year and then swap over a 2nd set of rims with the studded snow tires when the serious snow tends to hit (Jan and Feb).

Snow tires are worth their weight in gold in terms of improved handling and braking on snow and ice. Plus the rubber compound is different and grips slightly better in cold weather than summer or even all-season tires.
I just thought summers would make more sense than all seasons if I have a specific set of wheels for the winter. Seems to be conflicing info on tread life. Will have to read up before I made the decision to go away from all seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive