Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 02:50 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times

Advertisements

Like so many other things, when used properly (in this case, while NOT driving), it's fine, when used improperly (while driving), it's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 02:52 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
It just looks waaaay too tempting to the idiots out there. Imagine all those "gamers" who can't stop gaming. It just seems like attaching it to the steering wheel implies ease-of-use while driving. Otherwise, you'd have it on the passenger seat or something in the middle like the police have.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:59 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
I just don't see how you could turn the wheel with it on there. Plus, the laptop isn't strapped to the tray. Turn that wheel 20 degrees and it falls off.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:14 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,086,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
But then they would have no need to have it on their steering wheel. they could just have their laptop on, well, their actual lap.
It sounds like you've never actually had to use a laptop in a car for any meaningful length of time. Last year I was studying for various IT certifications and there were a few weeks where I had to drive my wife into San Francisco at night for business. Instead of wasting time driving home and back again I decided to stay in the car and study there for a few hours. There was no comfortable way to do this in the front seat so I ended up sitting in the back which still wasn't ideal in terms of display height. I wouldn't purchase that tray for a one off issue but for someone who routinely spends time with a notebook in their cars (whether waiting for kids or for individuals who work daily out of their cars) I could see this being useful along with the ability to eat food over a decent surface.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I just don't see how you could turn the wheel with it on there. Plus, the laptop isn't strapped to the tray. Turn that wheel 20 degrees and it falls off.
I thought it clamped on somehow.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
It just looks waaaay too tempting to the idiots out there. Imagine all those "gamers" who can't stop gaming. It just seems like attaching it to the steering wheel implies ease-of-use while driving. Otherwise, you'd have it on the passenger seat or something in the middle like the police have.
There is no way to use that tray with a laptop while driving. It will simply fall off or even if secured, approach angles that are unusable. For the everyday person who is driving their own car this is a reasonable way to secure a laptop when stationary without paying larger sums to have something installed in the passenger area or in the center console (where it can impede existing aircon/radio/nav functions and require a swing arm to be usable).

Old 10-22-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
It sounds like you've never actually had to use a laptop in a car for any meaningful length of time. Last year I was studying for various IT certifications and there were a few weeks where I had to drive my wife into San Francisco at night for business. Instead of wasting time driving home and back again I decided to stay in the car and study there for a few hours. There was no comfortable way to do this in the front seat so I ended up sitting in the back which still wasn't ideal in terms of display height. I wouldn't purchase that tray for a one off issue but for someone who routinely spends time with a notebook in their cars (whether waiting for kids or for individuals who work daily out of their cars) I could see this being useful along with the ability to eat food over a decent surface.
No, I never had to, you're right. But I couldn't be comfortable with my laptop jammed right into my chest by attaching it to my steering wheel either. When I sit with a laptop, I need it lower, like on my lap, not up at chest level. but I guess everyone's ergonomics are different.

But my point it that the way this is advertised, it implies using it while driving, even if they don't say that.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
No, I never had to, you're right. But I couldn't be comfortable with my laptop jammed right into my chest by attaching it to my steering wheel either. When I sit with a laptop, I need it lower, like on my lap, not up at chest level. but I guess everyone's ergonomics are different.

But my point it that the way this is advertised, it implies using it while driving, even if they don't say that.
For the kind of use that I required (more reading, less typing, you can also substitute reading for watching video) it was more comfortable to have the display closer to eye level than to have the keyboard near my lap. Having the notebook on my lap means having my neck cranked at an uncomfortable angle for extended periods of time. I can't vouch for the tray product with certainty without first having used it but I can definitely see the kinds of problems it attempts to solve having been in a position where an elevated display height would have been beneficial.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:29 PM

I just can't wait for the first time I see someone driving down the Jersey Turnpike with their laptop on their steering Wheel. That'll be fun.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I just can't wait for the first time I see someone driving down the Jersey Turnpike with their laptop on their steering Wheel. That'll be fun.
I've already seen enough folks reading newspapers, putting on makeup and looking at their cell phones that laptop trays are the least of my worries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive