Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 06:46 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I've always bought Buick's, my question is how do they outclass other GM brands? It's not like there is any difference in major components.
Probably due to the owner's age and how the car is driven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 08:58 PM

17,307 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Their kids take their license away and put them in a nursing home before they can make a maintenance report?

Old 10-23-2015, 09:05 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
"This table shows how the brands rank based on the average of their models’ predicted reliability scores. A measure of the brand’s consistency can be seen in the span of its scores, cross-referenced by how many different models it produces. The blue bars illustrate a brand’s consistency by showing the reliability range between its top and bottom model. The numerals indicate the number of models included. We excluded Jaguar, Land Rover, Mitsubishi, Scion, Smart, and Tesla because we lack data on two or more of their models."

"Our survey is a measure of how reliable a new car you buy today is likely to be, based on the past three model years of problem areas reported by consumers. Note that new-car predicted-reliability scores are separate from our road-test scores, which are based on the performance, comfort, and road manners of the cars we buy."

740k respondents.
While I don't believe EVERYTHING CR says, I will accept their credibility more than JD Powers which only surveys a new car for short period of time -- INITIAL QUALITY

Old 10-23-2015, 09:20 PM

22 posts, read 29,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Wow, Chrysler and associated brands just can't make a good car no matter who owns them.

Mercedes-Benz has fallen quite far.
Considering my next car is going to be a Dodge, this almost scares me. I just love the designs of the 2012-14 Chargers too much.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:32 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
The most reliable vehicle in their ratings was the Audi Q3 - which is made in Spain. Worst was the Fiat 500L - the one the Pope drove during his visit. That's made in Serbia. But I'm not sure about how they had good information on the Q3 seeing how it was just introduced for the 2015 model year.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:00 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
While I don't believe EVERYTHING CR says, I will accept their credibility more than JD Powers which only surveys a new car for short period of time -- INITIAL QUALITY
Wrt this survey (which is what their prediction is based upon), what's there to believe? They send out surveys, get the responses, and report on them.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:12 AM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
What the younger folks would say:

This is like an old person's car!
You would be surprised how many younger folks like those cars. I used to belong to a Lincoln Town Car forum and was shocked that many members were under 30 years old. (It was mainly 1990s and later Town Cars, though.)

The smart folks say: This is like a true luxury car!

Old 10-24-2015, 02:20 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Wrt this survey (which is what their prediction is based upon), what's there to believe? They send out surveys, get the responses, and report on them.
What's there to believe is that Consumer Reports subscribers who are into these reports so much that they will take hours every year to make these reports are somehow representative of the driving public at large rather than a small cadre of self-perpetuating, self-congratulatory car owners who are sure they have made the right buying decision whose input is put through the filter of bias that Consumer Reports uses to arbitrarily remove certain vehicles from consideration while heavily weighing future reliability on past performance of vehicles unrelated mechanically or aesthetically to those bearing the ratings.

Can anyone not have a problem with CR withdrawing its recommendation of the Tesla S only two months after giving it the highest rating in the history of the magazine because its own predicted reliability was so far from reality?

Last edited by kokonutty; 10-24-2015 at 02:28 AM..

Old 10-24-2015, 03:57 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I've always bought Buick's, my question is how do they outclass other GM brands? It's not like there is any difference in major components.
Having worked on a GM assembly line, Buicks have historically been treated a tad higher then the other GM brands. From top management down to the work room floor.

Also, a side note. There are more Buicks sold in China then sold in the USA.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:15 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
What's there to believe is that Consumer Reports subscribers who are into these reports so much that they will take hours every year to make these reports are somehow representative of the driving public . .
Consumer Reports survey is one source that can be used in making a decision to purchase a vehicle.
It should not be the only source.

It is the subscribers to the Consumer Reports magazine who fill out the survey.

If a subscriber loves their car they may tend to gloss over some annoyances. While some subscribers who don't like their car may quickly point out the faults. Some has to do with the selling/servicing dealer. Treated great - one may gloss over faults while those treated poorly may exaggerate faults.

Many have a perspective of such surveys as to only mechanical/body/suspension issues.
The Consumer Reports survey includes all of the modern electronic gadgets. Some/many have issues using such and this will affect the survey results.
So if you have a fine operating car but have issues turning on the radio on the TV screen menu - you may fault an otherwise fine car. The results of such survey can be skewed.

There seems to be a race amongst brands to put the most and latest electronic do dads into a new car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive