Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2015, 09:22 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,977,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Nice to see this is still the most thin-skinned "car" forum on all of the Internets.
I don't know about "thin-skinned" more like "blowhard-filled."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 01:26 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Seriously!? Tell you what-find an open stretch of highway, and floor it from 65 MPH-once you hit about 80 MPH, jam on your brakes (keeping the gas to the floor) and pull the e-brake just for fun. The car may slow down briefly, but once the smell of red hot brake rotor/drum and burning friction lining hits your nose your pads will have disintegrated to the point of uselessness. .
Tell you what, why don't I just look on YT instead. It works, just not when already established at highway speeds. It does keep it from accelerating from stop and it will work when you suddenly find yourself accelerating while on local roads.

Last edited by ovi8; 10-29-2015 at 01:35 PM..

Old 10-29-2015, 08:39 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
In one article I read some customers complained that they brought their car in during the recall even though they were to experiencing any problems and then after the fix they starting having the issue that was not there before . Instead of fixing the problem is seemed for some the fix created it. That is another reason I feel skeptical.
can you post the link to that article?

Old 10-29-2015, 10:20 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
can you post the link to that article?
And foil the op's agenda?

Old 10-30-2015, 07:40 AM

284 posts, read 492,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I had a Toyota in the early 1990s and it was a fine car I loved it,I still miss it, but I have become afraid of the Toyota brand. The stories of the brake and pedal problems and unexplained acceleration of their vehicles that have caused more deaths than any other known car issue has me afraid to touch one. The problems started to become known in 2000 with complaints from consumers and it took them until 2009 to try to fix the problem. Many say it is still not fixed. And yet their used cars are promoted and rated well on car review websites. I personally feel afraid to buy them. I even feel afraid to buy twin cars like the Pontiac Vibe that are supposed to be a Toyota on the inside.

Why is this the only company that's had this issue? I had thought maybe it was a glitch in the fancy new computer technology that cars today are using but Toyota seems to be the only car manufacturer hit with the problem.

Toyota to me is slipping. They have been one of the finest car companies ever created and yet now seem unable to deal with this serious problem with their cars. Either they do not know what caused the unintended acceleration or they do know and will not admit it.

My car recently broke down and I must decide if I should fix it or get another one and in searching out used cars I find myself afraid of purchasing anything made by Toyota.Does Toyota still deserve its reputation as a great car maker ?

Toyota "Unintended Acceleration" Has Killed 89 - CBS News

Toyota to Pay $1.2B for Hiding Deadly
If you are afraid to drive a Toyota then don't buy one- simple!

Old 10-30-2015, 09:02 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
And foil the op's agenda?
That was my intention, but the OP didn't take the bait.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:04 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That was my intention, but the OP didn't take the bait.
Exactly.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
I'm on my 4th Toyota and am very happy with the product as i find them reliable and economical and can easily achieve 300K with proper maintenance.3 of my 4 Toyotas have been sold with well over 200K needing nothing, 1 of my Toyotas got totaled by a snow plow last winter.
Current Toyota is an 08 Yaris sedan that just turned 200K to date outside scheduled maintenance no mechanical problems whatsoever.
I have no issues with Toyotas.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:29 AM

14 posts, read 10,730 times
We have been driving Toyota cars since the 1970's. I trust this car manufacture completely. I would not hesitate a moment to purchase another vehicle from this company.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:49 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
I daily drive a 1994 Toyota Camry with 200,000 miles even though my garage has vehicles of far greater value. I just love driving around in a cheap econobox without having to worry about being stranded or being hit in a parking lot. So my view of Toyota is positive, even having a 21 year old example as my reference.
I still trust older toyota cars . Does anyone know what year they started putting computer code in the brake pedal area? I still do not feel convinced the problem is really fixed . I just do not trust all the computer code in new cars these days. Sure they work fine at first but what happens as the car begins to age and break down?

According to this article the toyota code is so scary it is a good reason to buy a pre computer code car and that the problem still existed as recently as 2013 under another name. Here is a quote from the article:

"a driver injured by a UA (unintended acceleration) sued Toyota in Oklahoma and won $1.5 million after embedded software experts from the Barr Group presented evidence that the software was very badly designed. This was back in October of 2013, but the matter has just been reported in the technical press as "Stack overflow causes unexpected acceleration". However, the truth is even worse than this simple cause might suggest.
The slides used in the court presentation tell a frightening story - but one that most programmers might expect.
The examination of the software that controlled the throttle found that it was of very poor quality"

Toyota Code Could Be Lethal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive