Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2016, 04:00 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,780,846 times

Advertisements

Like many others, my parents stated buying Toyota in 2001 after having had their fill of problem vehicles from the domestic brands. They bought another in 2002 and another in 2013. They're still driving their first one and the 2002 is now owned by another family member.

I bought my wife a Honda Accord coupe in 2008. Then we traded up to another Honda in 2012, a Pilot because we needed something bigger. I'm kicking myself to this day for not just keeping the Accord for myself, as we liked it that much. I have a company vehicle plus my wife was injured and not working, so for years we just had the one vehicle.

I bought myself a Toyota Avalon a little over a month ago because now that my wife has been going to school along with working part-time again, I've found myself stuck without a vehicle at times on my days off. She'll be done school and working full-time again next year so I needed to get myself a vehicle.

Now I'll probably only put 5k miles a year on it because it's only used for pleasure driving. But I wanted reliability. Maybe reliability is boring, hence the claims that Toyotas are boring. In that case, I like boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 05:35 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,227,327 times
Hate their front ends on their corolla's and Camry's

Old 10-16-2016, 05:38 PM

26,380 posts, read 46,277,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
They are trying to incorporate the shark-like grille theme from Lexus to the Toyota line across the board.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:01 PM

30,203 posts, read 20,936,663 times
I think boring.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:06 PM

604 posts, read 644,795 times
One word description for Toyota:

Appliance

Old 10-16-2016, 06:09 PM

15,932 posts, read 12,197,869 times
I enjoy my 2012 Camry with the 3.5 V6 engine. I know it will last a long time with proper care. I liked the Impalas more but didn't feel like coughing up the extra money for one, plus they got a good 5-6 MPG less due to their weight.. I did a direct comparison when I was driving the loaner.

In the end I'm not that picky.. I have my V6 and my reliability.. part of me liked the "tank" feeling the impala had, part of me thought it cushioned me too much from the road but it was nice being able to coast over bumps without feeling them that will jolt me in the Camry... gravel roads it felt and sounded like you were almost on pavement, a big difference between the Camry and the Grand Am before that... Toyota at least the camrys have the "cut corners to make a bit more money" feel to them though compared to domestic makes, but I'm sure you make up for it with increased reliability at least that's what I see when I do my DD.

Granted a direct comparison to the Impala would really be the Avalon, not the Camry. In the end I don't care enough about little subtletys to waste thousands of dollars trading in or selling one vehicle to buy another.. beside the camry has passing power which makes it fun at least. haha.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:50 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,782,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username00 View Post
Didn't they find out that the "unintended acceleration" issue was actually people driving with the floor mat covering the gas pedal?

As for what I think of Toyota, I think their reliability is wildly blown out of proportion; they are not "the most amazing and trouble free vehicle in existence" like people want you to think. I also believe they are extremely bland and overpriced (which they can get away with because people will gladly pay a premium for something they believe to be "the best and most reliable".)

Test drive some vehicles other than Toyota and reevaluate your decisions. My answer is just my opinion and if it is factual, it's by mere coincidence.

Edit: Case in point, see acercode's response at the top of this page.
The mat was part of it, but the majority of it was people pressing the wrong pedal. They were largely in unfamiliar cars and thought to have panicked and pressed on the gas and not the brake and couldn't figure out their errors (also explains why they didn't put the car into neutral, hit the ebrake, or hold the start button down (Malcom Gladwell has a very interesting podcast on the topic).

Old 10-17-2016, 04:38 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,180,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
The new Prius is 100X worse.
Absolutely ghastly, easily surpassing the Aztek.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:58 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,684,140 times
Yep, Toyota can "engineer" reliability but they can't make a decent looking car to save their life.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:53 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,782,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootnikon View Post
yep, toyota can "engineer" reliability but they can't make a decent looking car to save their life.
gt-86?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive