Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 10:00 AM

899 posts, read 1,014,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Compact trucks?There are no compact trucks left. Chevy Colorado is considered compact these days.
This.

Before cost, you have to start with the fact that today's "compact" trucks are not compact enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 01:47 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,385,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Its unfortunate as I would love a pickup but to me a pickup is a work truck, not a family vehicle. My step dad bought a brand new Ranger in 99 for around 10K...4cyl, 5spd, 2wd, regular cab. Basic, just like a truck should be, of course I would have opted for 4wd but you cant get basic anymore. Too many people are focused on creature comforts vs what the intended use of the vehicle is. I was thinking about all of these options I have in my current vehicle that I don't even use...just wasted money.
Maintaining two vehicles is expensive. For people who need truck utility, but also need something with decent space/comfort it's a better deal to get a nice Crew Cab pickup vs a stripper sedan and a stripper truck.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:20 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,534,555 times
Have you checked the price of full sized trucks. They can run you from $40K to as much as $70K for dullies.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:40 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I paid only $15k for my truck 12 years ago brand new, someone offered me $6k for it the other day LMAO! That means it's retained 40% of it's value after 12 yrs!! A new one costs $25k, and a fully loaded model of this truck costs over $40k yikes!!
Yup. My F350 cost 27k brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Have you checked the price of full sized trucks. They can run you from $40K to as much as $70K for dullies.
The F350 dually crew cab diesel 4x4 Lariat (with auto trans because a manual is no longer a option) priced out was going to run 74,000. A F450 was 10k more and a F550 was another 10k.
There is a huge reason why used trucks are maintaining their value. I mean in some areas a new truck is a bit less than buying a house

Old 10-28-2015, 09:18 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,385,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
No one pays sticker for these things. The incentives pile up pretty darn high, and by full sizer I mean 1500, not HD (2500+).

For example right now, one can get $10k off a 2015 F150.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:44 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,754,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Maintaining two vehicles is expensive. For people who need truck utility, but also need something with decent space/comfort it's a better deal to get a nice Crew Cab pickup vs a stripper sedan and a stripper truck.
I completely understand but I could never imagine paying 40k+ to use a pickup truck for actually hauling things around and getting it beat up (even if it is just the bed). I would rather have a nice SUV and buy a cheap used (under 5k) pickup truck that you can use when needed and not worry about getting a scratch, or ding, etc... Maintaining two vehicles doesn't always have to be that expensive if the one vehicle is only used as needed and doesn't rack up a lot of mileage. I guess one could argue space if they didn't have enough room to keep both, but usually the ones that would require a pickup truck would have more than enough room to house more than one vehicle.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:36 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
No one pays sticker for these things. The incentives pile up pretty darn high, and by full sizer I mean 1500, not HD (2500+).

For example right now, one can get $10k off a 2015 F150.
Ok so you're still buying a 52k truck for 42k. And that's IF you qualify your all those incentives. Because rarely does someone qualify for ALL the incentives. And you're getting those discounts because the 2016s are coming in. It's all a game manufacturers play.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:17 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,569,273 times
So long as people continue to pay these prices expect to see prices continue to rise. Especially now that gas is cheap. I live in NYC and the Sunoco station by my house has regular gas at 2.07. I cant remember the last time I seen prices this low. Filled up my Honda with $19 the other day.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:19 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
So long as people continue to pay these prices expect to see prices continue to rise. Especially now that gas is cheap. I live in NYC and the Sunoco station by my house has regular gas at 2.07. I cant remember the last time I seen prices this low. Filled up my Honda with $19 the other day.
"THANKS, Obama!"

Old 10-30-2015, 11:59 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Ok so you're still buying a 52k truck for 42k. And that's IF you qualify your all those incentives. Because rarely does someone qualify for ALL the incentives. And you're getting those discounts because the 2016s are coming in. It's all a game manufacturers play.
I dunno about that. My freind doesn't have particularly good credit and still got about $10k off his '14 SCrew STX. Turned a $41k truck into a $31k truck. Besides, if a truck that pricey is in your ballpark, you're probably getting some hefty rebates.

Quote:
I completely understand but I could never imagine paying 40k+ to use a pickup truck for actually hauling things around and getting it beat up (even if it is just the bed). I would rather have a nice SUV and buy a cheap used (under 5k) pickup truck that you can use when needed and not worry about getting a scratch, or ding, etc... Maintaining two vehicles doesn't always have to be that expensive if the one vehicle is only used as needed and doesn't rack up a lot of mileage. I guess one could argue space if they didn't have enough room to keep both, but usually the ones that would require a pickup truck would have more than enough room to house more than one vehicle.
Well, if you're a biz owner and have use for write-offs, then a new vehicle is going to help the bottom line a lot more. Otherwise, I agree. I did have two F150s and sold one just because it was too pricey to run down the street to get the stepmom's drugs when she called. Mom thought that was going to cost me, but if one is only driven 2500 miles a year, well...insurance being $20/month for that older truck alone isn't going to hurt, either.

Quote:
Its unfortunate as I would love a pickup but to me a pickup is a work truck, not a family vehicle. My step dad bought a brand new Ranger in 99 for around 10K...4cyl, 5spd, 2wd, regular cab. Basic, just like a truck should be, of course I would have opted for 4wd but you cant get basic anymore. Too many people are focused on creature comforts vs what the intended use of the vehicle is. I was thinking about all of these options I have in my current vehicle that I don't even use...just wasted money.
I guess we have different definitions of work. Sometimes, you need to haul grass, and other times, you need to haul actual a$$. I want to enjoy my truck and that doesn't necessarily involve a manual trans these days. I want my comforts and capability as well. If you don't, that's fine. I just want more than vinyl seats and an optional steering wheel from a base model truck. Oh, if Ford didn't offer two v6 engines in that model Ranger, then you could have had a 4x4 four cylinder model as the last 4x4 four cylinder Ranger was made in '97.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
The popularity of pick-ups and SUVs the past few years has driven the prices up. It's called supply and demand.
That might be some of it, but the welfare state that is your average automaker comes with a cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive