Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 05:12 AM

792 posts, read 2,874,250 times

Advertisements

If he can't find a Toyota or Honda in that price range, a 2nd generation Nissan Altima will fit the bill. Extremely reliable, can be had for cheap, and easy to fix if it does break. Can last well over 200,000. Better handling than you might think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 11:53 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
We have a 2.5 most Subaru's do it's their staple engine.
Yeah, has been for along time. Before my WRX, i had a 00 2.5RS. But yeah, just because they had a high rate of failure doesnt mean every one will. You'll find plenty of examples where people never had problems with premature HG failure.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:53 PM

59 posts, read 59,376 times
So guys I have a friend who wanna sell his honda civic 2007 for 4500$ half of them cash and the rest in easy 300$ installments it have 180000 miles, Yeah I know that is too much but what do you think guys?, he made these miles because he delivering food from PA to NJ every week, is it gonna be reliable? for 1 or 2 years? cause I think of resell it after that.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:48 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Do you know what model Civic? DX, LX, Si, Hybrid, or EX? If it is an LX, which tends to be the most common among Civics sold, the price is at the high end for private party sale, close to a dealer's asking price, but he is holding the financing for 6-8 months, so there would be a compensation for that as well. Does your friend have maintenance records? If he has records showing oil changes and all maintenance being performed on schedule, including the transmission, then it might not be too much of a concern. If, however, there are no records, or spotty records, I'd look for another car to preserve the friendship since delivery vehicles can be driven hard and maintenance might not be as regular, owing to the nature of the car being required to earn a living, so it can end up in a situation where maintenance is deferred. Deferred a few times, and it's like missing a service, which comes into play with higher mileage vehicles.

Even in excellent condition, I think his price is high for an LX sedan, which I used as a point of comparison because many Civics are of the LX variety. For an Si or an EX, you would pay a little bit more, but less for a DX. If it's a hybrid, I might be disinclined to look at it, because a hybrid delivery vehicle Civic could have transmission problems as there were issues with early Civic Hybrids and bad transmissions, such that I would not take a risk.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-23-2015, 06:33 PM

59 posts, read 59,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Do you know what model Civic? DX, LX, Si, Hybrid, or EX? If it is an LX, which tends to be the most common among Civics sold, the price is at the high end for private party sale, close to a dealer's asking price, but he is holding the financing for 6-8 months, so there would be a compensation for that as well. Does your friend have maintenance records? If he has records showing oil changes and all maintenance being performed on schedule, including the transmission, then it might not be too much of a concern. If, however, there are no records, or spotty records, I'd look for another car to preserve the friendship since delivery vehicles can be driven hard and maintenance might not be as regular, owing to the nature of the car being required to earn a living, so it can end up in a situation where maintenance is deferred. Deferred a few times, and it's like missing a service, which comes into play with higher mileage vehicles.

Even in excellent condition, I think his price is high for an LX sedan, which I used as a point of comparison because many Civics are of the LX variety. For an Si or an EX, you would pay a little bit more, but less for a DX. If it's a hybrid, I might be disinclined to look at it, because a hybrid delivery vehicle Civic could have transmission problems as there were issues with early Civic Hybrids and bad transmissions, such that I would not take a risk.
it is EX model and after thoughtful thinking I think the price is high and I have to correct that it has 190xxx miles

Old 11-23-2015, 08:15 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri1983 View Post
it is EX model and after thoughtful thinking I think the price is high and I have to correct that it has 190xxx miles
Even with an EX, I think that the price is a bit high, I agree.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive