Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 07:49 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,101,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I guess your car has a radar installed so you can tell how fast oncoming traffic is. Lighten up, they're being courteous.

Besides, perhaps it's dark and you forgot to turn your headlights on. Perhaps you forgot to turn your brights off! Perhaps your brights are off but your lights are out of adjustment and blinding them! Perhaps there is an accident around the bend! Perhaps there is a herd of deer slowely meandering around the road up ahead. Perhaps a tree or other obstruction is in the lane!

And by you, I mean others because, afterall, you would never do that and if there was an obstruction in the road your hi tech radar would have let you know miles earlier then that worthless crusader coming in the other direction!

Of all the things to hate, this has got to be one of, if not, the most redicules reasons. Hating on someone because they are being courteous and warning you about something? Wow!
You want me to buy them dinner as well?

I'll just stick to the backroads and try not driving at night so much anymore.
Ten years in this backwards industry and I'm ready to jump out of it.

The money isn't worth the anger.
I'm one of those few truck drivers who'll rejoice the day when the industry gets the automated trucks.
(or all freight just gets farmed out to railroads or pipelines, or UAVs)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 10:27 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,073,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I guess your car has a radar installed so you can tell how fast oncoming traffic is. Lighten up, they're being courteous.

Besides, perhaps it's dark and you forgot to turn your headlights on. Perhaps you forgot to turn your brights off! Perhaps your brights are off but your lights are out of adjustment and blinding them! Perhaps there is an accident around the bend! Perhaps there is a herd of deer slowely meandering around the road up ahead. Perhaps a tree or other obstruction is in the lane!

And by you, I mean others because, afterall, you would never do that and if there was an obstruction in the road your hi tech radar would have let you know miles earlier then that worthless crusader coming in the other direction!

Of all the things to hate, this has got to be one of, if not, the most redicules reasons. Hating on someone because they are being courteous and warning you about something? Wow!
Yeah, this happens more frequently here in ME than I've seen in other places I've lived. Sometimes they're warning of a speed trap, and I take the opportunity to check my speed, which, depending on the vehicle can occasionally be a little high (especially in some places here where a 55mph limit can drop to 25 on the outskirts of a small town/village).

More often though, they are warning of an accident, or dead or live wildlife in the roadway (deer or moose). I've nailed a couple of deer, that's bad enough. Nailing a moose would be a completely different story, the moose usually wins (and walks away).

Old 11-04-2015, 11:28 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Yeah, this happens more frequently here in ME than I've seen in other places I've lived. Sometimes they're warning of a speed trap, and I take the opportunity to check my speed, which, depending on the vehicle can occasionally be a little high (especially in some places here where a 55mph limit can drop to 25 on the outskirts of a small town/village).

More often though, they are warning of an accident, or dead or live wildlife in the roadway (deer or moose). I've nailed a couple of deer, that's bad enough. Nailing a moose would be a completely different story, the moose usually wins (and walks away).
Just as a comment, if I want to warn oncoming traffic of a road hazard I use my hazard flashers. They work from both the front and rear. When I am zooming along at 70 on the freeway and come upon an unexpected traffic jam, the first thing I do is punch on the flashers to give traffic behind me a little early warning. When I come across a wreck or herd of cows in the road, I put them on for half a mile or so to warn oncoming traffic.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:58 PM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Just as a comment, if I want to warn oncoming traffic of a road hazard I use my hazard flashers. They work from both the front and rear. When I am zooming along at 70 on the freeway and come upon an unexpected traffic jam, the first thing I do is punch on the flashers to give traffic behind me a little early warning. When I come across a wreck or herd of cows in the road, I put them on for half a mile or so to warn oncoming traffic.
If you're speaking a language others don't understand, you're wasting your time. How are oncoming drivers supposed to know what your flashers mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive