Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 11:41 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post
Regardless if they are legal or not, I am very much concerned about continued resale value. I don't keep my cars long at all in most experiences, but I don't know if necessarily the tarnished image due to the diesel scandals would hurt my base Cayenne resale. I just don't know if I am willing to take that risk.
In my opinion, there exists the possibility of actual ADDED value (reduced depreciation rate), particularly with the diesels; anything produced post "dieselgate" will have reduced performance due to now having to adhere to regulations. Functionally, there exists no flaw; what exists is literally an OEM 'performance' tune. Enthusiasts and consumers alike will want this over the detuned versions to follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 02:48 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
In my opinion, there exists the possibility of actual ADDED value (reduced depreciation rate), particularly with the diesels; anything produced post "dieselgate" will have reduced performance due to now having to adhere to regulations. Functionally, there exists no flaw; what exists is literally an OEM 'performance' tune. Enthusiasts and consumers alike will want this over the detuned versions to follow.
Not necessarily, Lux Hauler . . .

After the dust has settled with this blatant / arrogant fiasco, VW will more than likely be required to "fix" all of the Emissions Illegal Vehicles as part of the settlement.

Also, many major areas require Emissions Testing and these vehicles will be flagged during test or maybe even by the DMV upon registration renewal.

In either case, I personally would stay clear of any of these vehicles until the issues have been addressed which would have a negative effect on the resale value.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:12 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Not necessarily, Lux Hauler . . .

After the dust has settled with this blatant / arrogant fiasco, VW will more than likely be required to "fix" all of the Emissions Illegal Vehicles as part of the settlement.
Sure, not necessarily... Even so, how much depreciation could an emissions recall cause... Simple reflash, all done. Any recent precedent for such an incident?

Old 11-05-2015, 09:17 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Sure, not necessarily... Even so, how much depreciation could an emissions recall cause... Simple reflash, all done. Any recent precedent for such an incident?
You're not taking into account the likely loss in MPG and performance from said reflash, not so simple when you figure those in.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:31 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Good point, Lux Hauler . . . but how would the "simple reflash" compromise the performance?

In any case, I cannot believe this fiasco will benefit VW in the long haul.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:50 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Good point, Lux Hauler . . . but how would the "simple reflash" compromise the performance?
You're altering engine parameters to result in fewer emissions, that's going to come with some kind of cost in performance and/or mileage

Old 11-05-2015, 09:59 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
Good points made here; however, as much as I admire Audi and Porsche diesel SUVs and sedans, I would be worried that they would not pass state inspections as they would be "flagged".

Old 11-05-2015, 10:22 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Not really very many cars covered with that engine though.
No but it shows that they lied even after the initial scandal and brings to light that there may still be more to uncover.

After the scandal broke on the 2.0Ls they tried to distance Porsche by saying they did their own testing and didn't just rely on parent company Volkswagens.

The 3.0Ls are supposed to have a more sophisticated urea based system that VW claimed the 2.0Ls didn't need which ultimately saved them a bunch of money.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:44 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,387,823 times
I could care less about the emissions of any car I purchase. As long as it passes state inspection, it is good to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive