Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 05:08 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,626,395 times

Advertisements

Some of my old girl friends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 07:22 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,758,240 times
The only thing I miss is not having them anymore. Come to think of it, I like a good sound system so that was definitely missing from older cars. Todays stock systems sound great!

Old 11-09-2015, 07:23 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
First thing I don't miss is not always starting on first try. It's so common today that we sometimes forget that car's didn't always start on the first try. Sometimes it took two or more tries, especially if you glossed the engine.

Don't miss the bias ply tires that was standard on most cars.

Don't miss needing two keys, one for doors & trunk and one for ignition. Do miss getting a replacement key at a hardware store instead of paying about a hundred at the dealership.

Don't miss the factory stereo. Until the past ten years, factory stereos were horrible. Paper speakers and low power head unit. Sound range and clarity on par with cheap nightstand clock/radio. What I do miss is the simple design of the head unit. Would love a head unit tuned so that bass and treble center points are the maximum clarity, one knob for tuning, one knob for on/off volume control, one exterior ring for bass, one exterior ring for treble (exterior ring is around volume or tuning knob but low to face of head unit).
Carburetors, biased plied tires, distributors and smog from high pollution motors.

Today's cars are so much better than they were even 30 years ago it's hard to compare.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:46 AM

899 posts, read 1,015,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Today's cars are so much better than they were even 30 years ago it's hard to compare.
No, no they're not.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:51 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
I remember some of the cars of the 70s and 80s had that rotten egg sulfur smell.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:03 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
The really sad thing is that the huge corporations who produce automobiles stubbornly refuse to cash in on the HUGE classic car market. They fail to recognize that the only reason people pay several multiples of what a decades old used car is that the new ones do not satisfy their needs. With today's technology they could produce cars of better quality than they did in the 50's-60's for an even better price. Yet the corporate culture based on free Fed money and government bailouts motivates CEO's to do what is easiest so they get filthy rich. Making a faithful reproduction of a classic car with today's technology built in would produce a car that the world would line up to buy. I would love to be able to buy a car that looks like a 1969 Charger, but has the latest suspension, steering and engine management coupled with the classic look. It would be an awesome compliment to my originals, and a great source of parts when the new ones inevitably get junked! I wonder if any other classic car owners feel the same way?

Old 11-09-2015, 08:34 AM

91 posts, read 100,358 times
Carburettors,drum brakes, tape decks, undercarriages rusting out

Old 11-09-2015, 09:01 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
What I do miss is:

1. Room in the engine compartment to work on it.

2. Points. You can fix those with about anything.

3. Crank down window's. Had to wait a week to get a specific fuse in for my 2003 Chevy Astro van because no one carries the fuse that works the power windows.

4. The ability to work on the car or truck from bumper to bumper without the need for the dealer or a shop.

5. Gauges. Lots of gauges. What I would give for a gauge for everything.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:14 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburger View Post
No, no they're not.
yes, they are. Not even a debate. If the old cars were better, we'd still have them being made new. But new cars make more power using less fuel, are cleaner, more reliable, and will last a LOT longer (200k+ is the new 100k for miles). They are easier to tune and in many cases, at least as easy to work on (as long as you aren't a luddite that is incapable of learning slightly newer techniques). They handle and stop better. And in many cases look as good or better than most older cars. They don't rattle and squeak and again, no debate, are safer, both in accident avoidance and in protecting their occupants if the accident can't be avoided.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:15 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,401 times
A story my parents tell, they owned a 1951 Chevy two door coupe when I was born, I guess I was about a year old they got a car seat for me. In those days it hooked over the seat backs, and most people set them up in the front seat, it had a little steering wheel on it and a horn. Well, being new parents and not thinking, Mom or Dad only hooked it over the passenger side, they had to make a hard stop and the seat folded forward and I guess I did a header into the metal dashboard, a lot of screaming but no blood, but it explains the brain damaged I've been accused of over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive