Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 11:43 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
Update:

I got an email from the dealership I talked about in the OP and the salesman said I could get my money back within three days if I didn't like the car and that I could bring a mechanic to the lot to inspect the car, but I can't take the car to the mechanic before buying.

Should I give the dealer a second chance now??
Will they let your mechanic use their shop and tools to do whatever he needs to do to complete the inspection?

I was looking at a pickup for my son once and the seller, a dealer, was reluctant to let me have it inspected, although he eventually took it to a local mechanic I had selected to do it.

That mechanic told me the seller was all over him, looking over his shoulder, giving him a hard time about what he was finding in relation to the asking price. That experience led the mechanic to tell me to stay away from that truck and anything that dealer was selling.

Maybe you'll get a decent inspection, but the fact that your seller is so reluctant to have you get the inspection tells me all I would need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 11:55 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I agree with NoMoreSnowForMe that you need to be sure the contract is amended to have a full money-back guarantee within three days, but make sure it reads three business days, so that if they're closed, you're not on the clock, should you buy on a Friday or Saturday and the dealership is not open on Sunday. I would look for a mechanic service, like Carchex, and have them come to the dealership and do a full inspection, and would want the dealer to be okay with that, at the outset, because you have to pay for the inspection.

However, if not completely sold on the car, I'd do a quick check at Carmax, too, because you can get the warranty at a good price, overall, which may be a consideration when you have an out of warranty vehicle that you're considering, even if it is a late-model.

Yeah, I am going to go back to Carmax. Does carmax allow you to bring the car to the mechanic for an inspection or does the mechanic come to them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Will they let your mechanic use their shop and tools to do whatever he needs to do to complete the inspection?

I was looking at a pickup for my son once and the seller, a dealer, was reluctant to let me have it inspected, although he eventually took it to a local mechanic I had selected to do it.

That mechanic told me the seller was all over him, looking over his shoulder, giving him a hard time about what he was finding in relation to the asking price. That experience led the mechanic to tell me to stay away from that truck and anything that dealer was selling.

Maybe you'll get a decent inspection, but the fact that your seller is so reluctant to have you get the inspection tells me all I would need to know.
I don't know. He didn't give me details about what the mechanic can do. However, I am still a little bit leery. It would be better if I could just take it to a mechanic's garage because then they could put it on a lift and go into more detail. They are not going to have that luxury if they come to the dealership. I just think it will be hard to find a dealership that's not going to want the mechanic to come to them.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:16 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
Quote:
Update:

I got an email from the dealership I talked about in the OP and the salesman said I could get my money back within three days if I didn't like the car and that I could bring a mechanic to the lot to inspect the car, but I can't take the car to the mechanic before buying.

Should I give the dealer a second chance now??
If that was their original policy and you did not understand it yes. If they want to negotiate now and change things NO.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:02 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Car salesman will sell you their dead grandma's earrings to make a sale. Never trust one especially if when his lips are moving. Read the contract and re-read it.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:08 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Quote:
Yeah, I am going to go back to Carmax. Does carmax allow you to bring the car to the mechanic for an inspection or does the mechanic come to them?
I think that it could be at the discretion of the local Carmax as to whether or not they will allow a PPI. I would definitely ask locally to see if you could have the car inspected prior to purchase. You do have the 5-day window, however, so if you plan to buy at Carmax, get the car inspected that day or the next day, just to be sure that there is no problem. FWIW, I've not known anyone to return a Carmax car because of an inspection, but they wanted to go to their mechanic, not near the Carmax, so it didn't come up with respect to PPI.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-11-2015, 04:55 AM

2,155 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
No haggle pricing is popular among some dealers; however, I would actually trust Carmax more as anyone I have known who has dealt with them has had a decent experience. A friend bought a Honda from Carmax a couple of months back, and perhaps it was $200 more than what she could have fought for at the dealership, but for a non-certified Honda, Carmax's 4 year warranty was inexpensive and they do honor the claims, either at the dealer or through Carmax. They will take the car back, too, and you don't have to buy another from Carmax.
A young fellow that used to work at my shop bought a few cheap 4x4 vehicles that he thought were really cool but turned out to have significant problems. When he was ready to move on he couldn't bring himself to put such a POS on Craigslist. The solution? Take it to Carmax!

At least in this area, this is not where I would shop.

Don in Austin

Old 11-11-2015, 07:57 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
Seems like a lose-lose for you. As others have stated they can make a claim that you caused the damages. The other thing is that they now own your cash, if you decide you do not like the car sure you can opt for another but where is your buying power? You no longer have any leverage to cut a deal.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:50 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
A young fellow that used to work at my shop bought a few cheap 4x4 vehicles that he thought were really cool but turned out to have significant problems. When he was ready to move on he couldn't bring himself to put such a POS on Craigslist. The solution? Take it to Carmax!

At least in this area, this is not where I would shop.

Don in Austin
Carmax consigns those vehicles to auction. In most areas, they have only late-model vehicles that are in good condition. I know people who have sold clunkers to Carmax, and they did not make it on the lot. They do not operate like other primarily used car dealers, primarily because Carmax does have new car franchises too, where they attempt to sell the cars that they purchase. They operate like a new car dealer where vehicles that are not appropriate for sale on their lot are consigned to auction.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive