Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 10:51 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times

Advertisements

Not gonna happen, people drive crazy and that ain't going away.

Yes, if you consistently target areas where people are speeding, and ticket them......you will have a better level of speed-limit compliance. But that is the problem, you have to have quite a high and consistent ticketing-regime to keep drivers in-line..........and that ain't gunna happen.

Speeding is a lot like the cellphone problem, nothing meaningful will be done about either of these problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 04:36 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times
I think we have too many incompetent drivers. Some things that drive me crazy are 1. Lost drivers just stopping because their Prozac just kicked in. 2. Stopping to make a right turn. 3. Parking over the line. 4 . Cutting me off in traffic. Sometimes I think the cops should pull them over and take their keys and license, have the car towed, and make them retake their road test. That's what makes all of our insurance skyrocket.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:09 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
That's because speed enforcement is purely revenue generation.

Absolutely correct. Why can I now drive 70+ on the very same roads where the max speed limit used to be 55? If driving faster than 55 was unsafe in 1980, then it should be unsafe now.

The first step in the right direction is to set speed limits based on 85th percentile measured vehicle speeds. The second step in the right direction is to eliminate traffic fines altogether. The revenue generators go away when the revenue goes away.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:22 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,875,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Absolutely correct. Why can I now drive 70+ on the very same roads where the max speed limit used to be 55? If driving faster than 55 was unsafe in 1980, then it should be unsafe now.

The first step in the right direction is to set speed limits based on 85th percentile measured vehicle speeds. The second step in the right direction is to eliminate traffic fines altogether. The revenue generators go away when the revenue goes away.
Because the 55 limit wasn't originally set for safety. It was a fuel economy measure. Saving lives was a byproduct. Today's cars are safer than late 70s models.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Because the 55 limit wasn't originally set for safety. It was a fuel economy measure. Saving lives was a byproduct. Today's cars are safer than late 70s models.
The so-called Arab oil embargo ended in March, 1974. Why didn't the 55 limit also end then.

The highway fatality rate when down when the 55 limit was finally abolished in the mid-1990s. The 55 limit had nothing to do with safety.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:36 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,875,511 times
Quote:
The so-called Arab oil embargo ended in March, 1974. Why didn't the 55 limit also end then.

The highway fatality rate when down when the 55 limit was finally abolished in the mid-1990s. The 55 limit had nothing to do with safety.
A little research shows your wrong. The limit was established as part of the Feds 1974 emergency hwy conservation act. As I said, it was originally about saving gas. They pushed the lifesaving aspect as the reason to keep it. I recall 55 Alive slogans, etc.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:29 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,335,087 times
Anyone who drives the EXACT speed limit on every road is likely the most boring person you will ever meet. Analyze people in your real life and tell me I'm not right. They are the strict rule bound person who thinks everyone should be doing the same thing. It's annoying.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
A little research shows your wrong.

In regards to what? The Arab oil embargo ended in March, 1974. Look it up.

The US fatality rate did go down in the mid-1990s when the 55 limit was abolished. Look it up.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:01 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
Quote:

55mph I believe was also for fuel efficiency.

Cars are more fuel efficient. Tire technology has improved. Braking technology has improved. Cars are safer than in the 1980s.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:28 AM

72 posts, read 231,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I don't care if the speed limit is 55-65-75-or 85 MPH the limit should be enforced with a 3MPH tolerance for speedometer error. Go 4 MPH over and you get a ticket.

Would be a bad idea to always drive 3 MPH over because one slip and your nailed.

I am tired of playing the guessing game with how much over I can go without getting a speeding ticket.

Let the states/towns determine the average speed on particular roads and that becomes the limits.

There will always be A holes who don't care about limits so let them take their chances.

I have no problem driving any speed just let me know what the limit is.

That could only possibly work if all speed limits (especially freeway speed limits) were set according to the 85th percentile and no lower. Then the highway patrol could deal with the 15% of drivers that are truly being dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive