Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 12:59 PM

130 posts, read 134,407 times

Advertisements

Some banks limit the dollar amount you're allowed to debit from your card. When I used mine to put a $1,000 deposit on a new car, I found out the hard way that was my limit for the day and since it was a Friday that I used the card, I couldn't use the card again until Monday. When I called my bank to find out why I couldn't use the card over the weekend, they explained that the $1,000 limit is standard but could be raised if I wanted. You might want to ensure there's not a limit on yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 12:38 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
We have some local "Buy Here/Pay Here" dealers who will take only cash.
Yeah, we've got 'em here too. I had gone to one because there was a vehicle that I was interested in, but I wanted to pay the full price right then. I was informed that this would not be possible- they only wanted to do deals that were weekly payments...with significant interest charges, of course. Nope, not doing that.

The regular dealers were more reasonable, and it was easier to negotiate the deals having cash in hand. No diddly-bopping around, just "Here's what I'm willing to pay, I have the money right now. Do you want to sell me this vehicle for this amount of money, or not?" It works well for me.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:55 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Our dealer gave us a purchase order and we took it to our credit union and they cut a check to the dealer which we took back to the dealer. The CU said most new car dealers are doing that in our area.

Old 12-25-2015, 07:02 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
I was told when buying my vehicle last month that I would not be able to use a credit/debit card. At the end of the day, however, I talked the dealership into letting me charge ten grand on my Amex card.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:20 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,754 times
I paid for my Lexus on my Visa card. They either wanted to sell the car to me or they didn't. It was the end of March and the LX I bought was the previous year's model that had been on their lot for over 6 months.

Most people can't afford to do that deal on a new car but the same rules apply at any level. You're the buyer. Make sure they remember that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive