Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 09:06 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberleutnant View Post

The shop I found is an independent one specializing in Fords. Very close to where I live, and is well reviewed on Yelp.
I did not see this post when I replied, but that answers my question as to "why" a valve job was recommended.

You may not like Dealerships, but diagnosis is always better at a Dealership. They have all the information on repeat problems and built in problems a vehicle can have that other shops may not even be aware of. Doesn't mean you have to get the repair done there. Just gives you a fighting chance you will get an accurate diagnosis. May cast a little more, but can save you a lot more too. Cheaper is not always better.

Personally, After running Dealership Service Operations for 38 years, if my vehicle needs a valve job, its getting a remanufactured Jasper Engine with a big warranty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 12:38 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
I did not see this post when I replied, but that answers my question as to "why" a valve job was recommended.

You may not like Dealerships, but diagnosis is always better at a Dealership. They have all the information on repeat problems and built in problems a vehicle can have that other shops may not even be aware of. Doesn't mean you have to get the repair done there. Just gives you a fighting chance you will get an accurate diagnosis. May cast a little more, but can save you a lot more too. Cheaper is not always better.

Personally, After running Dealership Service Operations for 38 years, if my vehicle needs a valve job, its getting a remanufactured Jasper Engine with a big warranty.
I think he's talking Campbell Ford Performance. I use them too, for all major maintenance and repairs on my Fords.. they are hot rodders and used to working on older models. I've never had them lead me wrong and their work typically costs me half as much as the dealer quotes.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:39 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
13 year old salvage title car with high miles? Time to move on.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:29 PM

860 posts, read 2,204,040 times
Well I held off on the repairs and had the shop look into replacing the engine entirely. On their end, they came back with a quote on installing a re-manufactured 4.6L motor for...nearly $5700. I have not committed so I can have a chance to sleep on it. Should be a solid motor with a 3 year warranty that should allow the vehicle to last many years to come. Rest of the car is in solid shape. As far as I know the existing engine is the original motor, with the first 100k miles coming from highway patrol service. I am the second owner after the CHP. It was in service with the CHP about 5 years.

I guess there is also the sentimental value of having it. Have driven it from California to Virginia and back.

Also the shop is in the Sacramento area by the way.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:50 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
13 year old salvage title car with high miles? Time to move on.

My neighbor paid $3,500 for a used Ford. 13 years old. One owner. 55,000 miles when purchased used. No rust Southern car.
Drove it from coast to coast 3 times with zero issues. Still going strong.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:48 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Look.. Here's what it boils down to.. You're not getting a new one(Not made anymore). So.. Is the repair cost worth it to you to keep this car? That's all that matters.

You've talked already about how much you like the car.. 90% of the people replying here who are saying "No, it's not worth it, i'd move on".. Probably have a vehicle that they feel the EXACT SAME WAY about.

We can't measure that value to you. We can only say from a non-emotional standpoint whether the car is worth it.. You have to take that emotional value that you have in it and then say "Does it make sense to me?" If it does.. Go for it.

Understand that 2 months down the road, you could have a tranny drop and stick ANOTHER $2k in it.. But.. You might not. It's a roll of the dice, but it's a roll of the dice on ANY car. You've got.. A little more risk with the miles on it, and, probably rough driving being a former CHP vehicle.. But, your love of the vehicle counts for something we cannot measure.

I would recommend having the guy check the transmission out.. Just the basics.. fluid burnt? Funky smelling.. Anything like that.. Because, if it's black as tar.. Then you pretty much KNOW you'll have a tranny job coming up. IF not.. Doesn't mean it'll last, but you've at least made an attempt at making sure it was sound before going forward with this repair.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:18 AM

348 posts, read 372,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
If I was you, and really love the car, and want to fix it, go with what Mitch said.
But If I was you, I would think about what McKinney said.

But if it's me. For sale Craig's list
2003 crown Vic with busted head, everything else is good.
Clean clear title in hand 1500bucks. Must sell today.

Take my 1500 plus the 2400 i was about to spend on the car add a few more bills. With around 4000 bucks I d find a newer lower mileage crown Vic.
This x1000.

It never pays putting big $$$ into repairing old cars.

With that many miles the AT is bound to go soon, and that will also be expensive.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:30 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Folks. This is a 2003 ex police car with 170,000 miles on it.

If the OP likes the aura of driving an ex police car then just go get another one.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:21 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberleutnant View Post
On their end, they came back with a quote on installing a re-manufactured 4.6L motor for...nearly $5700.
What?

$5700 parts and labor?

An OEM reman 4.9L Crown Vic engine is $1400 (crate, everything from the inlet manifold to the exhaust manifold, with heads, oil pan and valve covers, etc, etc.) with a 5 year warranty.

Installation is going to be way less than the cost to pull the heads and replace the valves in labor (it's pretty much plug and play, connect exhaust, electrics, and plumbing [cooling, and fuel]), say at most a full day to pull the old one and install so 8 hours (many shops charge a flat fee). even at $100/hr that's $2200 not $5700, add on fluids and new mounts, and miscellany and you're probably looking at $2500, or $100 more for the complete engine swap (with a 5 year warranty) than a head rebuild.

It shouldn't be $5700 for an engine swap including the engine for a 4.9L.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:36 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
^^^I presume you mean 4.6L modular ^^^

Take the cost of repairs and divide by how many years you intend to drive the car and the final will give you an idea if it is worth to keep. But What there is more...

How many more years left on the transmission?

What condition are your accessories in?

Paint quality?
Interior quality?

Factor all of the above before spending more money than the car is worth.

I see you are in Cupertino, Silicon Valley area, no wonder prices are high.

I would sign up at some of the Modular ford forums and ask in the regional sections regarding shops that work on modulars in your area.

Last edited by Felix C; 11-12-2015 at 06:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive