Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2015, 10:02 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times

Advertisements

I think I mentioned this earlier, but the wedge shape with narrow rear window taking over the styling of so many newer vehicles, basically necessitating the need for backup cameras being standard due to poor visibility. I'll take my old Subaru with no wedge window, large greenhouse, and about the best overall visibility possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 10:46 PM

4,300 posts, read 7,163,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Key fobs. Hundreds of bucks to replace these programmable things? I'll take an easy (and cheap)-to-duplicate, old-fashioned car key for which I can carry any number of spares any day.

What a racket.
On vehicles that still use a traditional key, if the key fob fails, you could just opt to use the key, alone. If the key has a chip in it, and is programmed to the ignition (which they are, on most newer vehicles), then you will have to have a replacement key (or duplicate key) programmed, though. There are some independent locksmiths out there, that can do this for less than the dealer.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:57 AM

17,100 posts, read 11,943,054 times
The fobs are harder to lose if you're prone to that.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:04 AM

4,857 posts, read 5,769,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Passenger Airbag OFF lights. Seriously, WTF do I need to know this for? I drive with the stupid amber "Passenger Airbag OFF" light illuminated 99% of the time that I drive. Why do I need a goddamned amber light blaring from the instrument panel (or rear view mirror, on one car) announcing something I already know, which is, that the passenger seat is not occupied by anything heavy enough to turn the passenger airbag on?

And why does it require a light to tell me that it's OFF? And why is it a freakin' amber light like something is wrong?!
on some cars, it lights up(and activates), when someone sits in the seat.

What I like about new cars; some have floor mounted accellerator pedals, that should tell you how much I hate about new cars. Actually I get to drive a few new cars every day, and switch placement is one thing that seriously ticks me off, I was in some japanese car, and had to fill it with gas, and I spent ten minutes looking for the gas door button, about to seriously loose my mind, when bam! it was on the stupid door, just above the map pocket, or trunk release buttons, and then I forget that hatchback versions on the same car don't have them. Or in the new Impalas case(which has really sh!tty brakes, btw) it's on the passenger side of the dash. Driver side door lock, that doesn't release, when you pull tye handle(Hyundai, and Mitsubishi, you bastards), infotainment screens, powered anything- I almost got crushed by the power liftgate of an expedition, today, these things don't sense resistance, and open back up, and they are sssllloooowww. Hybrids, and their really touchy brakes at low speeds. Weird cartoony gated automatic shifters, drive-by-wire lag(which sucks combined with an oddly slow acellerating vehicle-ahem-GM full size suvs), the bmw that wouldn't ler me drive with the door open. The shifter on some of the new Jeeps(not the knob, but kinda that, too).1000s of compartments everywhere, like a rolling traphouse, the upper glovebox thing on Siennas.Push button parking brake, Mazdas lil "iDrive" knock-off. Off the top of my head.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:49 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,870,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Here is a partial list of what I hate about new cars

Crammed interior spaces. One of the worst offenders is the huge Ford Taurus with a gigantic center console and no room for the driver. The new Cadillacs are also especially cramped and uncomfortable. I will take an older Deville over any of the new garbage from Cadillac.
I don't get it.
Like sheep, people purchase these vehicles.

Sat in a Cadillac Escalade $70,000 with small hard seats and a huge center console. What's the point of getting a large vehicle to end up with tiny hard seats? On a Cadillac?

The manufacturers will state that all is supply and demand. That this is what customers want.
Well, if you don't offer large comfortable seats then obviously no one is going to buy one.

What happened to the station wagon? Gone.
Except for a couple of expensive exotic offerings.

What happened to the rear back window that opened up on all SUV's? Gone to the bean counters weight savings fuel mileage guru's.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:29 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't know where the "no primary colors" guy is looking but I'm seeing bright reds, greens, yellows and blues across all makes and models.

The only dislike I have is that mid-size cars like the Fusion and Malibu and even the Impala have too many doors. At one time nearly every model had a choice of 2 or 4 door versions with the 2 door outselling the 4 by 3 to 1.
Almost no body buys 2 door cars anymore. No market - no cars.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The plastic lens cover seem to be a USA thing...

In Germany, the same cars with plastic lenses here have glass there.
Sure about that? I work in Europe all the time and haven't found a single car (other than the Mercedes G class) that still has a glass headlamp cover. Absolutely everything has been plastic for the last 10 years. This is a pet peeve of mine also.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Or one of those newfangled starter motors instead of the pure mechanical hand crank, or an automatic vacuum advance on the distributor instead of the less lazy hand operated advance/retard lever on the steering wheel. Or that crazy invention of the electric choke so you don't have to manually pull that little cable. Gosh, people have gotten so lazy.

I remember a time when we had to scrape our clothes across a washboard to get them clean. Back then, you had a tactile experience with the clothes. Washing them by hand gave pride of ownership and helped you become more intimate with all aspects of your clothing. It took time to learn how to wash clothes and wash them right.

Nowadays all we do is throw them in a machine that does it for us. How lazy can we be? We now treat our clothes and washing machines as appliances and throw away goods. In 10 years, we'll all just be wearing paper disposable suits. There's no soul in washing anymore. Man, Americans are so lazy!
Haha. My 87 land cruiser has a manual choke cable that I have adjust myself on the dash. Only thing I've ever had trouble with on that old truck.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Haha. My 87 land cruiser has a manual choke cable that I have adjust myself on the dash. Only thing I've ever had trouble with on that old truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Chipped keys. I absolutely mean it when I say that the law should MAKE manufacturers offer the option of not having this. Copying a key should be a $2 hardware store thing, not a $125 car dealership thing.

Seatbelt alerts that won't shut the freak up. If I don't want to buckle, or my passenger, that's our business. Zip your piehole.

Seat belt anchors being lodged so deeply into the seats where you have to dig to get to them. Buckling, when I do it, should be a 1-2 second operation MAXIMUM.
I'd rather pay once for the chipped key than every month to the insurance man for the increased theft risk. Car theft has plummeted since these keys went into effect. Of course, people still leave there car running outside the gas station so car thieves still have that going for them.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:33 AM

725 posts, read 1,888,890 times
Last month I finally decided to purchase a new car. I wanted something new but I also wanted something basic and cheap. I ended up buying the base model Nissan Versa sedan. I was actually very surprised that it was offered with a manual transmission so I chose that instead of the CVT auto transmission I had heard so much negativity about.

Although it's the base model it still came with A/C, cloth seats, Bluetooth connection for your phone, a decent car stereo with CD player and AUX and steering wheel controls for the stereo. Everything else, such as manual windows and door locks are typical of a base car.

Even though I only paid 10K for a new car I feel it's a good purchase for me since it's just a commuter vehicle so it didn't need all the fancy stuff the higher priced cars had. Heck, even a cheap little car like mine gets an average of 38 MPG so I'm already pretty happy about that.

But as far as what I don't like about the new cars is their lack of working turn signals, especially on BMW and Mercedes models. It's a pity they paid so much money for those cars and they didn't even come with working blinkers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive