Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2015, 07:15 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You know they tried retrostyling. I's argue the Mustang introduced 20 (?) years ago was one. The HHR and Plymouth Cruiser, too.

You can see pieces of it in Chargers.
That's a good point and I actually do like the look of the Mustangs and Chargers because they don't look like every other vanilla sedan on the market. The HHR (now discontinued after a short run) did have a throwback 1940's appearance. It had an appeal to much older drivers, though. Many if not most of the people who I've seen driving the HHR probably were driving in the 1940's, but it didn't seem to catch on with younger drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 07:26 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Only if you are so helpless that you have to have the dealer do everything for you. Cars like my big BMW 7 series are actually fairly easy to work on when they need it. OEM parts are cheap online and you can have them next day for half the cost of the dealer. There are definitely a few known problem areas in each of them, like any car, and there are communities who have figured out permanent, easy fixes for those areas. With the advent of the internet, modern cars are as easy to deal with as classics.
Big?

(Sorry; I always grin when someone refers to a car which is externally about 2-3 feet shorter than actual big cars (99% of which are from before 1980).

As for easy to work on, in general, the engine compartment of classic cars were much less cluttered than on modern cars.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:47 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yep, just more of it and easier to find on newer cars.
Not true - probably more dependent on the amount of hobbyists for youe make/model.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:51 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,115,529 times
Yeah, I did notice the limited color selections of new and used cars lately in Chicago - mostly black, silver, red, and a rare yellow or blue... Like the USA has turned evil...

Old 11-10-2015, 09:05 PM

17,297 posts, read 12,228,591 times
The only color you need is black.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:08 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
They are anyway, mandated just 2 short years from now.. so that will let designers get as ridiculous as they want as far as the rear side greenhouse.
Good, that will turn my car into an antique in a few years at that rate.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:18 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,158,411 times
The backs of newer cars is so high up that it makes it very uncomfortable and difficult to look behind as you are getting out of parking spaces or backing up.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:48 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
As a person who really hates new cars and drives old ones, I have a list of why I hate new cars. What's your list like?
Here is a partial list of what I hate about new cars

1)Crammed interior spaces. One of the worst offenders is the huge Ford Taurus with a gigantic center console and no room for the driver. The new Cadillacs are also especially cramped and uncomfortable. I will take an older Deville over any of the new garbage from Cadillac.

2)Lack of cloth seats in large cars. I hate leather seats,they are too hot in the summer. Cloth seats are much more comfortable. I think the Dodge Charger is the only large sedan with cloth seats(Taurus does not count since the interior is so cramped). The base model Impala has this weird half leather/cloth combo.

3)Sunroofs standard on most larger upscale luxury cars. I do not want a glass roof that takes away interior space. It also makes the car hotter when parked in the sun. Mandatory sunroofs are one reason I would not buy a Lexus.

4)Uncomfortable hard seats. I went to look at the Audi A6 after reading so many positive reviews about it. The seats were so hard and uncomfortable I did not even bother to test drive it.

5)Annoying Paddle shifters

A car I would like to buy (but it does not exist) is a Lexus LS460 without a sunroof,with cloth seats and without the huge center console.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:18 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
You do understand that manufacturers are in business to make money, and if people didn't want that stuff, they wouldn't offer it as part of the standard packaging?

The vast majority of car buyers want the toys - it's a very small subset of buyers that want a stripped-out cheapo car to go from here to there.
Lets see, V-8 power, 6 speed automatic, PS,PB, A/C is not what I call a stripped out model but try to find one without, dashboard computer, sun roof,PB starter, oversize aluminum wheels, deluxe interior trim.

I am a driver who pays attention to driving, I don't make phone calls while driving, I don't work on my tan while driving, I don't play computer games while driving.
All I do is drive, you should try it some time, it keeps you from having collisions that some seem to think is just part of the driving experience.
As far as toys, that's what children play with..

Old 11-11-2015, 06:56 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Sunroofs/moonroofs. Difficult to find a middle of the line model that doesn't come with sunroof/moonroof, esp if you choose any option package.

Technoid gadgets. Cars are full of 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive