Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 10:18 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,310,284 times

Advertisements

Is That A Cop Behind You? Try This Handy Cop Headlight Spotters

Been driving for more than 30 years and the Crown Vic headlights have gotten so easy to spot from a hundred yards away. The only problem is that now I have to learn the Chargers and Taurus's headlights since there's more of them now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 10:25 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
I'm an old street racer, and I can spot Crown Vic headlights real easily, but now the cops are driving all kinds of cars. Had an Explorer cop car behind me last night, and have seen some little econoboxes that don't even look like police cars. Just ain't fair any more !

Don

Old 06-29-2016, 11:00 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,095,465 times
Wow; this thread brings back memories! Flashback 1980's: "Hey...bro...d'ja see that?!"
"Na...Oh wait ...now I see it!"
"That's cop headlights!"
" No it's not! Those are too round...."
"Dude! Look at the yellow ones; it's a cop!"
"Quit trippin'! It's NOT A....oh...s**t..."
(to me) "Hey; your 18, ok! You look like 18!"
" WTF, man...I think I have a warrant!"
"Yeah? Well; I'M THE ONLY ONE WHO'S OVER 21l
I'm gonna go to prison!!"
"Aaaand; he's pulling over...great, I just spilled
my beer..."
"OMG; someone spilled the bong..."
" Hey...I don't think thats a cop...Dude! Your
stupid; thats Robby!"
"Yeah, man, that IS Robby...in his f*****g PINTO...I TOLD
you those were too round to be cop headlights!"

Sigh...those were the days; I'm glad I was a kid back then...

Old 06-29-2016, 11:22 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Rumor has it that Nissan is experimenting in the USA with a version of the NV200 that will be for emergency service use. It's based on the NV200 Taxi body and interior but with the more beefed up V-6 or V-8 like in the Cargo/Passenger versions. Now we have to learn to look for girly headlights.

Old 06-30-2016, 02:04 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Remember back in the 80s & 90s when some state police had Mustangs and Camaros on the interstate highways? Some states used Saab and Subaru for cop cars. Around here the cop cars include Ford Explorer and Chevy Tahoe. Wonder how long before our American cops take a page from cops in the UK and drive a Chevrolet Cruze as a cop car since it's based upon the Vauxhall Astra especially now that the 5 door hatch version is coming soon. Maybe they start driving Camry plug in hybrid as cop cars?

Old 06-30-2016, 02:51 AM

80 posts, read 108,042 times
cabs are known to be crown vics too, their taxi sign tops can be mistaken for cop car too. just get a radar detector!

Old 06-30-2016, 03:55 AM

6,449 posts, read 9,805,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Remember back in the 80s & 90s when some state police had Mustangs and Camaros on the interstate highways? Some states used Saab and Subaru for cop cars. Around here the cop cars include Ford Explorer and Chevy Tahoe. Wonder how long before our American cops take a page from cops in the UK and drive a Chevrolet Cruze as a cop car since it's based upon the Vauxhall Astra especially now that the 5 door hatch version is coming soon. Maybe they start driving Camry plug in hybrid as cop cars?

Already happening with electric cars

LA police to buy 100 BMW i3 electric cars for department use

Old 06-30-2016, 05:41 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
For a while, maybe still , the police were using whatever cars they could confiscate from drug dealers and stuff like that. You never knew who the guy in the next lane might be.

In the 60's the local police dept had the authority to order whatever kind of car they wanted, and the one cop had a 426 Max wedge Dodge with a four speed behind it. One night I was lined up in a street race, my tripower gto against another gto, and here comes that cop. We took off down the four lane and, of course, he came after me while the other guy went the other direction.

My speedometer went to 120 and I was buried past the 120 mark and that damn cop was still gaining on me. Dodges always were top end machines. Only way I lost him was to get on side roads where my car handled better than the Mopar.

Don

Old 06-30-2016, 06:00 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,807,609 times
Heck, I have a hard time in the daylight telling if it is a cop behind me or just a standard Charger, Taurus, etc...

Since more and more police in my area have the hidden lights and then when they turn them on it looks like you are back in a 1970's disco.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:53 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,730 times
Crown Vics are dying off rapidly now and the most common replacements are Ford Police Interceptor Utility (Explorer) and PI Sedan (Taurus). They currently hold a combined 65% of the police market with Tahoe and Charger making up the bulk of the remainder. There has been a significant move toward the SUV's in many markets due to the large amount of equipment that most officers carry now.

Here in Texas you should keep an eye out for this one too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive